Hear hear

Dave

http://www.journallive.co.uk/newcastle-sports/football-news/2008/07/08/gutierrez-was-a-well-kept-secret-61634-21301086/

I REALLY must doff my cap to the national press football writers.

They ALL managed to keep secret the fact that we were going to buy Jonas Gutierrez! Not an inkling among all the “Keegan to be sacked in one month” and “Ashley to sell to Chinese/Klingon/ Russian/American consortium” garbage, a splendid display of self-restraint chaps.

What happened? Did your ‘senior club source’ get a job in another pub? So, who said what to whom, if anything? Intermedia say they where approached but weren’t interested, the club say “Absolute rubbish”, meanwhile the nation’s favourite tramp’s mattress say third-party talks took place.

So, basically, Ashley phoned a group of the most hard-nosed business people on earth and asked them if they’d be interested in buying a mid-table football club on the remote Northern English tundra, for three times the price he’d paid for it only 12 months earlier?

Anybody who’s brought kids up has heard one of these “He said, she said” arguments before. I also think we can connect this with our new signing arriving without being linked in the papers.

Taken as a whole, who cares about this ‘story’ anyway? We know that Ashley will sell at some point, as will most of the new breed of multi-billionaire club owners when they tire of their real-life Subutteo games.

While on this subject, I enjoyed the other claim that we are to be bought by the Saudi construction consortium family of Osama Bin Laden! I certainly wouldn’t want to get caught smoking in the ground’s toilets by that regime.

Mind you, I think it would almost be worth the takeover to see streams of blokes pouring out of the club shop in black-and-white striped traditional Arab robes and Spiderman masks.

It would look like a Beatles album cover from their psychedelic years.

Now everyone’s back at pre-season training, I expect a few more deals being done, currently Barton’s lawyer is making more.

While it’s entertaining seeing which names the national hacks have drawn out of the office sweep, it would be nice to have new faces in sooner rather than later.

Hopefully we’ll progress in the style of the Gutierrez deal and keep everything a surprise. Makes a change from doing our business via Sky Sports News or The Sun.

Never heard of Paul Dixon but he's a smart man by the look of things.

He sits behind me at the match and you wouldn't say that if you saw him; absolutely shocking dress sense  :lol:

He's on the Journal's punters panel by the way, always respected his opinions, unlike the numpties in the Chronicle.

And this article is spot on.  :clap:

Guest Mucky01

yep, good stuff,

and good of the Journal to publish it, didn’t see that happening!

Me thinks they could be bridge building?

Guest icemanblue

He clearly got all his ideas, inspiration and theme from here tbh

Or he has some common sense and the lack of an agenda? Just a thought, like.

Guest Heneage

I think two many Journos just take easy option and go off the first contact that gets them. Its something ive found early on, you have to know which contacts are reliable and when a story is viable, alot of journos get lazy.

I think two many Journos just take easy option and go off the first contact that gets them. Its something ive found early on, you have to know which contacts are reliable and when a story is viable, alot of journos get lazy.

They are also under pressure from their editors to sell papers,it seems lke it's not accepted in the trade to write reasoned, well balanced pieces in preference to those headline grabbing scare stories. The irony is however that if a paper did that, then word would get around pretty fast amongst the fans and their readership I would venture would increase. They under estimate the intelligence level of the fans.

If a newspaper did employ this guy for example as a permenant hack, writing NUFC in place of their current guy, I have no doubt his work would turn the same way as others in the trade.

They are also under pressure from their editors to sell papers,it seems lke it's not accepted in the trade to write reasoned, well balanced pieces in preference to those headline grabbing scare stories. The irony is however that if a paper did that, then word would get around pretty fast amongst the fans and their readership I would venture would increase. They under estimate the intelligence level of the fans.

If a newspaper did employ this guy for example as a permenant hack, writing NUFC in place of their current guy, I have no doubt his work would turn the same way as others in the trade.

then it's up to those that buy the shit not to.