Palace winger released from club thanks to Facebook usage

Syrette

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jul/08/crystalpalace.championship

Some transfers come to light only when a footballer is spotted relaxing on the yacht of a rival club's billionaire owner or dining at the favourite restaurant of their chief executive, but a young Crystal Palace player has moved the whole business into the modern era by posting details of a proposed move on his Facebook page.

Ashley-Paul Robinson, an 18-year-old winger who has been with the Championship side for five years, wrote a message on the social networking site announcing that he was having a trial with Fulham. His 194 Facebook friends were not the only people able to read exciting news of his dalliance with the Premier League club, however. The message could be seen by all 2.7m members of the site who have joined its London section, unwittingly breaking the story to supporters of both clubs and to anyone else in the capital interested in reading candid transfer gossip.

Robinson posted a message on Saturday which read: "Ashley-Paul is goin fulham on monday. If i pull dis off im on dis ting." On Sunday he added: "Ashley-Paul is travling 2 Bath With Fulham Fingers Crossed."

After news of the move spread, he posted a new message yesterday afternoon saying: "Ashley-Paul has been very naughty lol!"

Palace, however, have not found Robinson's frankness a laughing matter. "It's pretty embarrassing for the club that this guy is telling the world he's looking to leave the club," said a Palace source. "Perhaps someone should tell him to be a bit more private about what he's putting on the internet."

Robinson has been at Palace since he was a 14-year-old academy player and he broke into the first team at the end of last season, making his first-team debut as a late substitute against Preston North End in March. A month later he was offered a new contract by the club's manager, Neil Warnock, but a parting of the ways now seems inevitable. "We feel it's probably better that he looks elsewhere to further his career," said Warnock.

What a joker.

Guest Stephen927

Foolish lad. Can understand him being excited by it and wanting to tell his mates, but to put it on Facebook...  :doh:

"If i pull dis off im on dis ting" I want to belt him for that sentence alone, to hell with his actions.

^ this.

what a tail end.

did he put how his fulham trial went?

i wonder if they thought he was 'dope' or 'whack' or whatever...

Guest loonietoonie

"If i pull dis off im on dis ting" I want to belt him for that sentence alone, to hell with his actions.

^ this.

what a tail end.

did he put how his fulham trial went?

i wonder if they thought he was 'dope' or 'whack' or whatever...

he must of thought he was 'sick'

This is the only Ashley-Paul Robinson in London apparently:

http://profile.ak.facebook.com/v224/2010/64/s1101619803_5607.jpg

Sickkkk blad!

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/0,,10323~3465840,00-thumb-350x350.jpg

Aye, but the fact he's been released is ridiculous. Players go to the press all the time about how they want to leave their clubs, and nothing happens (except they usually get their wish as well as compensation from both clubs!)

FFS, Ronaldo has been at it for the last 3 months.

Guest Heneage

Foolish lad. Can understand him being excited by it and wanting to tell his mates, but to put it on Facebook...  :doh:

You;'d think he put his profile private.

You;'d think he put his profile private.

It was, but public to anyone in his network.

:lol:

Once somebody translated that to Warnock he would have been furious

Aye can you imagine his reaction when he saw all that ghetto speak. 'What the fuck does that mean son'? :lol:

Guest Geordiesned

You can still access his page if you change your network to London as he still hasn't changed his privacy settings!.

His current status:

"Ashley-Paul is hmmm . . . . "

:lol:

...and one of his messages:

"i knw i shudnt say dis buh SHHAAMMMEEE , NAWWTIE BOII lovin da headline in da sun tho , " im going to foolham" classic it dnt get no betta den dat , dat shud teach u 4 fartin in ma face. n ummm.... hi aint seen u in ages"