Vi sitter i Ventrilo och spelar DotA

Guest Jawesome

Guest Jawesome

Any DotA fans on here?  One of my favourite games / mods at the minute.  Theres a 2v2 tournament in Newcastle coming up as well.

Basshunter was cool until he became a sellout .

Boten Anna must be the most irritating song in this century. First (didn't bother to listen it with intense) I thought he was singing about boat, that was real wtf, but then I saw the music video and realized what it was all about.. That just irritatingly sad.

Guest Jawesome

DotA.  It's a mod of Warcraft 3: Throzen Frone.  Basshunter released a song about it, which in turn was soiled by the Dickhead British Charver Association (Kev and Jamie's faathas).

• 3 years later...

You can buy a Hon account for 10$ at the moment

Hon is basically a graphically advances version with better interface, stats,  database storing replays of all the games you´ve played etc.

If any of the ol' dota fans out there want to give it a try

http://heroesofnewerth.com/ref.php?r=N7G9VRNN  (just uncheck the one time gold offer)

Nice preparation for the upcoming Dota2

Isn't League of Legends a fair bit bigger than HoN by now?

Aye but that´s like pointing at Farmville. It may be more popular and more suited for the casual gamers but for me Hon is by far the superior and more competitive game. Dota2 will stomp all over LoL and Hon anyway

Oh right :lol: what's different from WC3?

Dota is the most popular mod/custom map for WC3.

Can´t be arsed writing up a description, here is a c/p of wiki:

Defense of the Ancients pits two teams of players against each other: the Sentinel and the Scourge. Players on the Sentinel team are based at the southwest corner of the map, and those on the Scourge team are based at the northeast corner. Each base is defended by towers and waves of units which guard the main paths leading to their base. In the center of each base is the "Ancient", a building that must be destroyed to win the game.[5][6]

Each human player controls one Hero, a powerful unit with unique abilities. In DotA, players on each side choose one of 104 heroes, each with different abilities and tactical advantages over other heroes.[7] The scenario is highly team-oriented; it is difficult for one player to carry the team to victory alone.[8] Defense of the Ancients allows up to ten players in a five-versus-five format and an additional two slots for referees or observers, often with an equal number of players on each side.

Because the gameplay revolves around strengthening individual heroes, it does not require one to focus on resource management and base-building, unlike most traditional real-time strategy games. Killing computer-controlled or neutral units earns the player experience points; when enough experience is accumulated, the player gains a level. Leveling up improves the hero's toughness and the damage it can inflict, and allows players to upgrade their spells or skills. In addition to accumulating experience, players also manage a single resource: gold. The typical resource-gathering of Warcraft III is replaced by a combat-oriented money system; in addition to a small periodic income, heroes earn gold by killing hostile units, base structures, and enemy heroes.[9] This has caused emphasis on a technique called "last-hitting," which is when the player attacks a hostile unit when "its hit points are low enough to kill it with one blow".[10] Using gold, players buy items to strengthen their hero and gain abilities; certain items can be combined with recipes to create more powerful items. Buying items that suit one's hero is an important tactical element of the scenario.[11] Item choice also effects play style, as any given item may increase one statistic (for example, attack per minute) while leaving another (damage per attack) alone.

DotA offers a variety of game modes, selected by the game host at the beginning of the match. The game modes dictate the difficulty of the scenario, as well as whether people can choose their hero or are assigned one randomly. Many game modes can be combined (for example, an easy difficulty level and a random hero pick), allowing more flexible options.[12]

What I like the most about it is how heavily team oriented the game is and with 104 heroes to choose from in a 5v5 setup you´re always seeing some new lineups and tactics. The game has a loooong learning curve tough and pretty much everyone hate the game to begin with since they don´t understand what all of the 104 heroes do and what items are good in each given situation but once you start getting the hang of it then playing it gets really rewarding.  

If you´ve never played Dota or another MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) game before then I´d highly recommend giving League Of Legends a go, it´s a very good public game and much more noob friendly than Dota/Hon + it´s free. I much prefer Hon as it´s faster paced and more geared up to the competitive scene but I wouldn´t really recommend it to people that haven´t played Dota, unless you´d be playing it with a bunch of friends.