2008 Beijing Olympics

James

How many gold medals will Great Britain win?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. How many gold medals will Great Britain win?

• 1-3
    • 4-6
    • 7-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 21+

Guest Geordiesned

They just showed a guy on the ITV news running through the streets to show how hard it is to breath due to the smog. He couldn't take any deep breaths at all. The marathon should be fun to see how many are still alive by the end!

Guest lankybellwipe

Don't breathe in.

Yeah!

Saw the footage on the news of the Smog!  Don't worry yet Riverside attendants!

Don't breathe in.

Yeah!

Was thinking along the same line, why don't we send some of the athletes to Middlesbrough for a few days to get acclimatised to the conditions?

Don't breathe in.

Yeah!

Was thinking along the same line, why don't we send some of the athletes to Middlesbrough for a few days to get acclimatised to the conditions?

Just send Middlesbrough-born athletes. They'll thrive with all that extra oxygen.

My predictions:

Cycling: 10 golds

Rowing: 4 golds

Tennis: 1 gold

Boxing: 1 gold

Equestrian: 1 gold

Gymnastics: 1 gold

Badminton: 1 gold

Sailing: 5 golds

Shooting: 1 gold

Triathlon: 1 gold

Total 26, but you know that some of the above won't work out, while others will come unexpectedly.

We've only won 67 golds since the Second World War.

I'd say about 8.

Past is irrelevant, we've got more world champions than we've ever had.

British sport is really on the up right now, and people who are only aware of the media darling sports (football, rugby, tennis, cricket, athletics) will be surprised by the increased success in the minority sports in my opinion.

I'd say about 8.

British sport is really on the up right now, and people who are only aware of the media darling sports (football, rugby, tennis, cricket, athletics) will be surprised by the increased success in the minority sports in my opinion.

Wow.

9, 11, 1, 5, 5, 5, 3, 3, 4, 5, 4, 2, 6, 1, 3 are the golds won since Berlin '36.

26 may be pushing it I reckon but we'll see. :lol:

Not bad, but there are some fit birds at the olympics, such as this australian hockey bird

Kate Hollywood

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5988082,00.jpg

I'd say about 8.

Wow.

9, 11, 1, 5, 5, 5, 3, 3, 4, 5, 4, 2, 6, 1, 3 are the golds won since Berlin '36.

26 may be pushing it I reckon but we'll see. :lol:

Improved training facilities innit.

Seriously though, until around about Sydney 2000, it was pretty much assumed in Britain that sportsmen did everything for themselves, and could get by on really basic training facilities. The nearest velodrome was in Bordeaux, and as a result British track cyclists spent 90% of their training on bike machines in their own garages. Now, with new infrastructure being in place for a few years, Britain now has more cycling World Champions than Greece 2004 gold medals.

26 is what we could win, but I've already stated that these things never work out as planned. Regardless, if we don't beat our post war best, this Olympics will be a failure for the British team.

To be honest, I'm not that fussed how well 'we' do. I've not got much of an interest in how well England gets on in international sports (you can thank the football team for that to a certain degree), and even less in regards to how Britain do.

I call myself English, not British.