Anyone beginning to feel the pinch at the mo?

Big Geordie

Doom and gloom forecast at the mo - seems as if the UK is on it's way towards a recession. Petrol prices going up has the knock on effect of good going up, etc and the whole vicious circle starts. I know me and wor lass have been finding it tougher over the last couple of months - not great when there's a kid on the way! Have had to curtail my visits up north to see family and friends. Looks as if we are gonna be in for a bumpy time of it.

Its the fuel that knackering the regularity of trips from Solihull to Chester le Street to see the folks.

Basically have to save up for it if we want to go. Be about £100.00 at least to get up there and back which we just cant afford at the moment

Guest lankybellwipe

Sold the car yesterday!

Road tax next month (£100) and they speculate by september, we'll be paying £1.50/ltr for Diesel!

FUCK THAT

It's not actually that far for me! 15 miles from the town to Bedlington. Problem is - with using the car for work, I clock up a fair amount of miles running about in town. Don't get great mileage. :-/

How much is not much?  If you get less than 40p per mile you can claim tax relief for the shortfall.  Obviously you have to be doing a few miles to make it worthwhile.

Guest lankybellwipe

I dread to think how I'd be doing if I had to drive to work.

Well, if you can't drive - not so good methinks  :undecided:

It's not actually that far for me! 15 miles from the town to Bedlington. Problem is - with using the car for work, I clock up a fair amount of miles running about in town. Don't get great mileage. :-/

How much is not much?  If you get less than 40p per mile you can claim tax relief for the shortfall.  Obviously you have to be doing a few miles to make it worthwhile.

I get about 27-28mpg from my 1.8 Mondeo, running about in town. I can claim some expenses back via the job but even then, it's still not great.

Car sharing and public transport are the way forward in my opinion.

...............if public transport was reliable.

Government need to do more to encourage flexi-time where possible to account for unreliable public transport.

Car sharing and public transport are the way forward in my opinion.

...............if public transport was reliable.

Government need to do more to encourage flexi-time where possible to account for unreliable public transport.

getting cars off the road would help in the case of buses. for the metro and trains,usually ok but one hiccup fucks the whole thing up.

Certainly seem to be spending most my money on food and petrol now. Not sure if its just a mindset thing but definitely trying to cut out on little trips etc.

I usually go to the sandwich shop at lunch but over the last month i've made my own snap and saved a fortune which is always nice.

Certainly seem to be spending most my money on food and petrol now. Not sure if its just a mindset thing but definitely trying to cut out on little trips etc.

I usually go to the sandwich shop at lunch but over the last month i've made my own snap and saved a fortune which is always nice.

Get the bus to and from work and it's gradually been getting busier since the turn of the year. People are cutting out as many of the needless journeys as they can to save a bit on petrol.

Also taking my own bait into work which has saved me quite a bit too.

Not feeling the pinch at the moment, dont have a car either so no fuel costs for me.  Just a bus pass whcih seems to go up every 3 or 4 months.

Wor lass who does have a car is complaining all the time about the price of fuel.

I'm not doing too badly but have stopped spending much on stuff like CDs and DVDs... and my Smart Car is pretty cheap to run. In fact I can normally drive home from Oxford to Newcastle for less than I can buy a train ticket at the moment.

I am buying cheaper food though, going for more own brand and 'basics' stuff, and making my own lunch for work as well. Can't be spending £4 a day on a lunch.

Nah, I don't feel the pinch - because I'm fucking wreckless with my money anyway so it won't be until the bailiffs turn up that I'll feel any sort of pinch.