Paul Stretford banned for 18 months

Dokko

Rooney's agent banned

Representative has right of appeal

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3797964,00.html

Paul Stretford has been fined £300,000 and banned from working as a football agent for 18 months by a disciplinary commission, the Football Association has announced.

The independent regulatory commission's sanctions follow charges brought by the FA against Stretford, who represents Wayne Rooney, relating to how he acquired the right to represent the England striker in 2002.

The charges were also for improper conduct in relation to Stretford "making of false and/or misleading witness statements to police and giving false and/or misleading testimony to Warrington Crown Court" in a case about the circumstances of how he came to represent the England striker.

The ban will not come into force until after any appeal or move to go to arbitration by Stretford. The second nine months of the suspension will not be invoked if he is found to have not broken any other regulations.

Lengthy battle

Stretford has fought a long legal battle against the FA over whether they had the jurisdiction to charge him, and then whether he could go to an arbitration panel before a disciplinary hearing had dealt with the case.

The commission ruled as "proved" seven of nine charges brought by the FA against Stretford for breaches of the FIFA players' agent regulations.

The charges included failing to protect Rooney's interests and failing to respect the rights of third parties.

An FA statement read: "The commission found that Mr Stretford did encourage Mr Rooney and his parents to enter into a representation agreement with Proactive Sports Management Limited on July 17 2002 although he knew Mr Rooney was still then under contract with Pro-Form Sports Management Limited."

A charge of enticing Rooney away from his previous agent was not proven.

In relation to the Warrington Crown Court case, the commission found proven two improper conduct charges .

The statement added: "The commission found that Mr Stretford had made a misleading witness statement and had given untruthful evidence in court in criminal proceedings in Warrington Crown Court, particularly in relation to the existence, dates and nature of those representation agreements dated July 17 2002 and September 19 2002."

A further charge of entering into a representation contract with Rooney for eight years - six years longer than the two-year limit for written contracts between agents and their clients - was also proved.

Two other charges of failing to lodge representation contracts with the FA were also proved, but a third was not.

Wasn't Stretford the agent we employed to work on our behalf a few years ago. Seem to remember the club lauding him as a role model for all agents ?

My memory fades on this and I could be wrong.

Hmm just did a quick google on him found this article from a couple of years ago:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20040904/ai_n12807732

Here's an intersting extract:

Then, 10 days before the August deadline, Newcastle United suddenly announced a pounds 20m bid for Rooney. That is another controversial episode, given Newcastle's chairman Freddy Shepherd's friendship with Stretford and the fact that his son, Kenny Shepherd, works for Proactive out of an office in St James' Park - and has 88,000 shares in the agency. Another potential conflict of interest some might think, but all sides - Newcastle, Proactive and Manchester United - maintain the Newcastle bid was genuine and that the Shepherd connection was irrelevant.

Hmm just did a quick google on him found this article from a couple of years ago:

Then, 10 days before the August deadline, Newcastle United suddenly announced a pounds 20m bid for Rooney. That is another controversial episode, given Newcastle's chairman Freddy Shepherd's friendship with Stretford and the fact that his son, Kenny Shepherd, works for Proactive out of an office in St James' Park - and has 88,000 shares in the agency. Another potential conflict of interest some might think, but all sides - Newcastle, Proactive and Manchester United - maintain the Newcastle bid was genuine and that the Shepherd connection was irrelevant.

I always thought this was accepted fact, we were used as a stalking horse.

There was no way on earth that Rooney was going to come here, whatever he says. In fact I thought the tale was that Ferguson asked FFS to bid for him as his board were saying they had no money and he had to push them to make a bid.

There was no way on earth that Rooney was going to come here, whatever he says. In fact I thought the tale was that Ferguson asked FFS to bid for him as his board were saying they had no money and he had to push them to make a bid.

TBH I wasn't referring to the Rooney crap,  the thing I found most interesting was the fact that FS's son worked for Stretford's company out of St James' and he owned a large stake in them.

Guest Mucky01

surely this is a sham as Proactive aren’t banned so his clients will be handled by one of his “associates” on his behalf – only in an official capacity?

surely this is a sham as Proactive aren’t banned so his clients will be handled by one of his “associates” on his behalf – only in an official capacity?

Exactly the slippery bastard will still be running the show, he'll just not front it.

Toothless punishment.

TBH I wasn't referring to the Rooney crap,  the thing I found most interesting was the fact that FS's son worked for Stretford's company out of St James' and he owned a large stake in them.

You wouldn't believe the amount of incestuous links between ProActive and football people who got involved in the Rooney transfer in some way.

Whether it was Dalglish and the gangsters who intimidated his original agent or Freddy Shepard and his fake bid. Even the journalists who wrote all those "Wayne must go for his own development" and "Sir Alex will work wonders for him" rubbish stories. Plus, all the talking heads who came out in the media saying he needed to leave, including Alan Stubbs.

They all owned shares in ProActive or had personal ties to Stretford and co.

You wouldn't believe the amount of incestuous links between ProActive and football people who got involved in the Rooney transfer in some way.

Whether it was Dalglish and the gangsters who intimidated his original agent or Freddy Shepard and his fake bid. Even the journalists who wrote all those "Wayne must go for his own development" and "Sir Alex will work wonders for him" rubbish stories. Plus, all the talking heads who came out in the media saying he needed to leave, including Alan Stubbs.

They all owned shares in ProActive or had personal ties to Stretford and co.

Hadn't realised it was that bad tbh. Fucking hell. Stinks.

I have have always held the view that our bid was there to flush out the buyers as well. As Man United said at the time they bought Rooney a season early due to our bid.