John Hall's Opinion

Guest pedros-mighty-chin

Guest pedros-mighty-chin

Speaking to the media following chants of “Shepherd Out” at the weekend Sir John Hall believes that fans’ discontent has been blown out of proportion.

The former Chairman said:

“I’m very surprised and disappointed with what has happened at Sunday’s defeat at Middlesbrough when, I understand, a small group of fans chanted for a small amount of time, and I believe it has been blown out of all proportion by sections of the media.

“Like I did before him, Freddy Shepherd has backed every Newcastle United manager in the transfer market to the limit of the club’s resources.

“And like me, he can’t legislate for what happens on the field. That is up the manager and the players, and it’s clear to me and everyone that some of the players brought by previous managers simply haven’t been good enough.

“In fact, our fans must look in amazement at some of the vast sums of money paid out for players who aren’t good enough for this football club”

The irony of it all. ......

Who appointed the managers who have failed to deliver despite spending millions ???? Who agreed to pay millions for the overpriced wastes of space on the pitch ?

SHEPHERD OUT.

From www.icnewcastle.co.uk

We'll get it right again

Oct 24 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Sir John Hall has stepped out of the shadows to express his "surprise and disappointment" at the reaction to Newcastle United's defeat by Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium on Sunday.

And he while he accepts that "vast amounts of money have been wasted on players" he pledged that the club's board will get it right again.

The 73-year-old life president, who says he is "just a fan" these days, believes that Glenn Roeder should be given the time to get on with the job he started in such great style last season.

Freddy Shepherd was not available today, and no-one at the club was able to comment on the fact that the chairman's wife Lorelle was taken to hospital with a heart problem on Sunday about the same time as United were losing to Middlesbrough.

Sources at the club said Shepherd did not want to be seen attempting to win any sympathy vote.

Publicly, Sir John rarely gets involved with events at St James' Park these days, but he contacted the Chronicle today to say: "I am very surprised and disappointed with what has happened at Sunday's defeat when, as I understand, a small group of fans chanted for a short time.

"I believe it has been blown out of all proportion by sections of the media.

"Like I did before him, Freddy Shepherd has backed every Newcastle United manager in the transfer market to the limit of the club's resources.

"And, like me, he cannot legislate for what happens on the field. That is up the manager and the players.

"It is clear to me and everyone that some of the players brought by previous managers simply have not been good enough.

"In fact, our fans must look in amazement at some of the vast sums of money paid out for players who are not good enough for this football club."

Quite naturally Sir John would not name names, but there is no doubt in my mind that United wasted £20m on Jean Alain Boumsong and Albert Luque at a time when they had to pay £17m to replace Alan Shearer with Michael Owen and pay the England striker £100,000 a week to come to St James' Park.

Roeder is paying the price for this as the current manager has been unable to bring in the players he so desperately wanted in the close season.

This led Sir John to add: "Since the Halls and the Shepherds took over the club we have spent over £200m on players as well as making St James' Park into one of the best stadia in Europe, so none of our managers can say that we have not backed them.

"Now we will get it right again. We know we have to get it right.

"Like every other fan I am disappointed that we are not winning games at the moment and not scoring goals.

"We have been unlucky with injuries this season to Michael Owen, Kieron Dyer and Shay Given and our other goalkeeper Steve Harper could hardly walk the other night against Fenerbahce.

"No team can really cope with losing this calibre of player, and all this has happened as Alan Shearer retired."

It was Hall who began United's revival by bringing Kevin Keegan back to St James' Park, and since then United have brought some of the biggest names in football in Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit, Sir Bobby Robson and Graeme Souness, without any of them being able to land a trophy.

Roeder is not a big name, but Sir John insists: "Glenn is one of the most honest and sincere men I have met in football and I have the highest regard for him.

"He has got Newcastle United in his heart and he feels the anguish the same as the supporters when results are not going our way.

"I am sure Glenn will get it right, but he needs the strength of the fans to get him through.

"We have also got to look at ourselves and may appoint a director of football to take some pressure off the manager and make sure we take advantage of modern technology."

Is it just me or is all these comments from the board just putting the story about fans being unhappy with the board into the major press alot more ? Maybe Sir John Hall thinks this might just push Freddy into selling up so he can get shot of his shares ?

I'm not sure of SJH's intentions here - possibly he is trying to come out in support of Freddy, to try and smooth a way for a takeover, or it might be the Hall's and Shepherd's trying to close ranks inorder to deflect opinion. Either way, it shouldn't detract from what needs to be done.

SHEPHERD OUT !

I'm not sure of SJH's intentions here - possibly he is trying to come out in support of Freddy, to try and smooth a way for a takeover, or it might be the Hall's and Shepherd's trying to close ranks inorder to deflect opinion. Either way, it shouldn't detract from what needs to be done.

SHEPHERD OUT !

The insightful Gemmill says it all

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,30945.msg591312.html#msg591312

Freddy Shepherd was not available today, and no-one at the club was able to comment on the fact that the chairman's wife Lorelle was taken to hospital with a heart problem on Sunday about the same time as United were losing to Middlesbrough.

Sources at the club said Shepherd did not want to be seen attempting to win any sympathy vote.

If you don't want to win any sympathy vote then shut up and don't mention his wife at all. Trying to disguise your vote winning attmept by denying it only make you look more stupid.

If anything my sympathy vote goes to Lorelle. Shame that she married a fat guy whose favourite pastime is a romp with exotic foreign prostitutes in Spanish brothel. Shame that you have been in wedlock with him for such a long time. Don't you feel that your life is wasted on him !!?

Guest eyeball_tickler

“In fact, our fans must look in amazement at some of the vast sums of money paid out for players who aren’t good enough for this football club”

yes, yes we do.

I am no hypocrite(as I once said in a dfferent thread on this board..!!), so whilst I admire what Sir John did for the club(AND count him as a not close, but personal friend), I must disagree with his views about Shepherd - if indeed this is what he DID say.

Whatever friendship I had for someone would not make me defend them in an issue like this if I could see they were clearly wrong ; Shepherd's rewards for running the club are unquestionably excessive when balanced against his decision-making as Chairman, and that is above all the reason why the club is in its current position.

The sums of money spent on sub-standard players is the fault of both bad management and , we are led to believe, other connections with the club - some of which may appear questionable - all of these matters are the responsibility of the Chairman , either in the appointment of the manager, or on control of the club's affairs as 'Chief Executive' ; the Buck stops at the Chairman's office...

Guest The Fox

Sir John Hall makes an appearance after all this time and tells us they have invested money, we all know that, but their choice of Managers has been poor and the money has therefore not been wisely spent.

He also says Roeder is a good, honest, sincere man with the club at heart.

Unfortunately he is not a good Manager which is the relevant point.

All you ever get from the top is people covering their backsides. The fans have every right to demonstrate if they are being served up less than quality.

Sir John Hall makes an appearance after all this time and tells us they have invested money, we all know that, but their choice of Managers has been poor and the money has therefore not been wisely spent.

He also says Roeder is a good, honest, sincere man with the club at heart.

Unfortunately he is not a good Manager which is the relevant point.

All you ever get from the top is people covering their backsides. The fans have every right to demonstrate if they are being served up less than quality.

It's like when SJH popped up to try and play things down after his son had been caught in a brothel with our chairman badmouthing Geordies to the News of the World.

Guest The Fox

Hall has lost the plot, he quotes us as being unlucky this season with injuries to Owen, Dyer, Given and Harper.

Well Owen has been injured for months and there was plenty of time to strengthen the squad, Dyer is always injured so nothing new there and Given's injury has hardly made  a great deal of difference to the the poor quality performances on the pitch.

They have invested money but I doubt they haven't made a bit as well. The money they have dolled out in transfers has been squandered by the very people they appointed. So whose fault is that, the fans.?

It's interesting that he's piped up with the Director of Football idea in such vague and hopeful terms. There may be a recognition on the part of the Halls that most of the damage is being done by Shepherd's over-involvement in football matters. It may be a not so subtle move to prize him away from player transfer and even manager selection issues.

I can't see any reason why Shepherd would want a Director of Football, as it's a role that he's been eager to perform himself, albeit with catastrophic results.

It's interesting that he's piped up with the Director of Football idea in such vague and hopeful terms. There may be a recognition on the part of the Halls that most of the damage is being done by Shepherd's over-involvement in football matters. It may be a not so subtle move to prize him away from player transfer and even manager selection issues.

I can't see any reason why Shepherd would want a Director of Football, as it's a role that he's been eager to perform himself, albeit with catastrophic results.

totally agree. i thought it was a "veiled dig" of sorts, a comment that both steadies the ship and lets shepherd know that in the unwelcome event of him staying on, he won't have the same executive power that he does now.

SJH is a fuking idiot trying to silence the fans.

We are not happy, get it through your thick fuking skull, we hate Shepherd with a passion, and it will only get worse.

Where would Newcastle be today if that 'fuking idiot' hadn't taken over?  Not in the premiership, that's for certain.