FIFA looking at Ronaldo case. Blatter: "Modern slavery".

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

“In football there’s too much modern slavery,” the FIFA president said on Sky News. “I’m always in favour of protecting the player.

“If he wants to leave, let him. If Ronaldo stays at a club where he does not feel comfortable to play then it’s not good for him or the club.

“The important thing is that we should also protect the player. And if they want to play somewhere else, then a solution should be found.”

Now, this could become a massive issue. If FIFA intervene in a formal manner clubs are going to be severely weakened when it comes to player negotiations and the meaning of contracts.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=770315

Guest Alan Shearer 9

No I think he's been treated like a slave and should be transferred for free to Madrid. For this injustice to be made against such a lovely character is horrifying, and Manure should be mde to pay.

Initially I thought Sepp had a hard on for hating all things English but I'm more and more coming to terms that it's just Man U he despises. 

I'm getting the distinct feeling envious eyes are being cast at the PL from all over Europe.

Guest diddimz
“In football there’s too much modern slavery,players shouldn't be paid 100,000 a week, how can they expect to live on such a small salary” the FIFA president said on Sky News. “I’m always in favour of protecting the player.

“If he wants to leave, let him. Its not like he has signed a contract saying he would continue to play for the club. If Ronaldo stays at a club where he does not feel comfortable to play then it’s not good for him or the club.

“The important thing is that we should also protect the player. And if they want to play somewhere else, then a solution should be found, something other then clubs buying players under contract. Clubs should start paying clubs to take players off their hands so that the players are happy.”

What he ment.

Plainly we should scrap the transfer system and have complete freedom of movement.  Every season each mega club could have an auction to decide which player goes where, with the money going straight to the hard pressed put upon wage slave (aka the player).  All the other clubs can piss off and ideally most of them would be liquidated anyway.  Why England persists with 92 clubs when you only need four is beyond me really...... ???

Does Sepp Blatter mean s*** stirrer in German, Parky?

We all know contracts mean pretty mich nowt now anyways, But I dont see how its slavery when no one forces them to sign these contracts the players have enough power all this will do is increase wages  :thdn:

Guest nufc_geordie

An absolute discgrace that the most powerful man in football has essentially came out and said that contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on. I have said this before and I will maintain it, that until a big club i.e. a Man Utd, Milan, Real Madrid etc. refuse to allow a contracted player to leave and let them rot in the reserves if they don't want to play for them, the contractual situation will be a farce.

Football needs its integrity and its proffessionalism back. If you sign a contract that's your fault, noone elses. It should be honoured in my eyes. Simple solution. Man Utd don't want to sell Ronaldo so they should give him two options. Play or sit in the reserves but either way you aren't going. This way may persuade some other mercenaries to think carefully about signing their contracts.

I don't even think it's the fact that they wouldn't be able to secure shorter contracts, players just wouldn't be able to demand the kind of outrageous wages that top players get without extended contracts. 

I've always taken issue with Blatter and some of the ways in which he views the game and wants to change things about it, but those are still opinion issues and I can have some level of respect for that even if I think he often spits in the face of the average fan.  It's simply a difference of opinion.  Yet the fact that the head of the largest, most expansive, and probably most influential and powerful sporting organization in the world can have absolutely zero respect for the laws of the countries in which it operates is so offensive. 

And yet somehow, he turns right around and gets it right on the whole 39th game thing.  In the interview on SSN he said that his "spies" have heard that FA people want to move League Cup ties overseas, and they'd better not go ahead with it.  Why can't he sensibly throw around his considerable weight in this fashion more often?

If Ronaldo wasn't prepared to work for Man U for the next 5 years (or however long the contract was) then he shouldn't have signed the contract. He's already paid a massive amount of money every week to play for arguably the biggest club on the planet and should stop whining. I can understand him wanting to go to Real and try his luck there but it's up to the clubs to agree a fee first. If Real can't meet the asking price then Man U have every right to expect him to play as well as he can for them.

I think he'll end up going in the end but I think there'll be an awful lot of piss and twisting for the next few weeks.

Can you imagine if this were the other way around. If a UK club did this to Madrid, Barca, Milan and the like FIFA would be all over it like a rash.

If Ronaldo wants to go then fair enough but do it in the right way, not fecking around in the media, and doing it through all these ""leaked" sources.

The whole saga is doing my head in.

And Blatter is just a joke, the problem is when he goes another lackie will just take over and keep up this dislike of the British game!

It's a strange situation as transfer fees and businesses "owning" employees is instinctively wrong to most people and I don't understand how it's legal. Perhaps that why the Spanish use this "buy-out" clause in a contract as an alternative phrasology.

Of course if transfer fees were scrapped it would be even stupider as players like Ronaldo would demand 500k a week.

It's a strange situation as transfer fees and businesses "owning" employees is instinctively wrong to most people and I don't understand how it's legal. Perhaps that why the Spanish use this "buy-out" clause in a contract as an alternative phrasology.

Of course if transfer fees were scrapped it would be even stupider as players like Ronaldo would demand 500k a week.

Clubs don't own the player physically. The player is an employee but the clubs do own the licence/registration and therefore the player can't work for another club without the paperwork being transferred.

I think that's pretty much how it works anyway!

An absolute discgrace that the most powerful man in football has essentially came out and said that contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on. I have said this before and I will maintain it, that until a big club i.e. a Man Utd, Milan, Real Madrid etc. refuse to allow a contracted player to leave and let them rot in the reserves if they don't want to play for them, the contractual situation will be a farce.

Football needs its integrity and its proffessionalism back. If you sign a contract that's your fault, noone elses. It should be honoured in my eyes. Simple solution. Man Utd don't want to sell Ronaldo so they should give him two options. Play or sit in the reserves but either way you aren't going. This way may persuade some other mercenaries to think carefully about signing their contracts.

It's absolutely incredible on two levels. Firstly, that he should think it's his role to stick in his oar in what's a private issue between player and club. Secondly, the view that he's come out with. Contracts are there to protect players as well as clubs, and moreover the smaller clubs as well as the larger ones.

He's made himself look rather stupid here.

Contracts mean very little and now with Blatter coming out and saying this - the damage potential is worrying. He's an arsehole.

This.

We need to make contracts worth something or players will be free to come and go when they want eventually!

No I think he's been treated like a slave and should be transferred for free to Madrid. For this injustice to be made against such a lovely character is horrifying, and Manure should be mde to pay.

:-)

Drivel, if Ronaldo wants to leave he should have to hand in a formal transfer request (that can be accepted/rejected by Man Utd), which I imagine would forfeit any bonuses etc he is due, and only be allowed to leave if Man Utd get a satifactory resolution.

On the other hand, we know contracts mean nothing in football except to guarantee the value of the player when he does bugger off.

Real are more in the wrong than anyone else over this, Ronaldo has a contract with Man Ure and its 100% up to them if they want to sell him or not, he can want away nothing wrong in that but if the club want him to honour his contract then he should.

Blatter needs to shut the fk up, way to many people have had their say over this, if he had to say anything it should have been to Real to tell them to lay off.

I hate the little fker and hate Man Ure as a club but they are well within their right to make the little fker rot on the bench.

Guest nufc_geordie

Real are more in the wrong than anyone else over this, Ronaldo has a contract with Man Ure and its 100% up to them if they want to sell him or not, he can want away nothing wrong in that but if the club want him to honour his contract then he should.

Blatter needs to shut the fk up, way to many people have had their say over this, if he had to say anything it should have been to Real to tell them to lay off.

I hate the little fker and hate Man Ure as a club but they are well within their right to make the little fker rot on the bench.

This seems to be the general consensus on here (see my previus post above). I would love to know  who agrees with Ronaldo in the poll. None of them backing up their votes in comments on here!