FIFA looking at Ronaldo case. Blatter: "Modern slavery".

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Stephen927

He signed a long term contract, he should have to honour it if Man United don't want to sell.

Not to be overly PC or owt, but isn't it a bit offensive to people who were kept as peoples property, bought and sold, forced to work for no pay and treated as less than human to Christiano Fucking Ronaldo, multimillionare megastar?

"Slavery" fits in that the players (or their registrations) are owned by their employers so the player cannot just go and work for someone else as easily as "normal" workers - in that context slavery is "correct" but he he shouldn't have used it due to its past - perhaps "bonded" would have been better.

neither can most employees elewhere,ie periods of notice (mine is 6months). i will willingly extend my period of notice by 3 years if they pay me £5000pw

Forgive me if I've missed something here but there is a flipside to this coin which seems so obvious. If Ronaldo can get out of his Manure contract for free then we can get out of our Smith contract for free... Maybe Seb is onto something

Football would be nothing without the fans, and yet we are so often forgotten about. If Ronaldo is so unhappy or wants to move, all he has to do is put in a transfer request. Of course then, he'll forfeit any bonuses which he is due, which his agent won't want. It's all down to sheer greed. Money will kill top-flight football eventually, if it's not happening already.

Contracts have to be to a certain extent honored and any deals filtering out of negotiations have to be with mutual concent. If Ronaldo can force the hand of the most powerful club in the world it looks bad for smaller clubs, their finances, their youth product and ultimately their survivability. This is a historic moment in football and the fallout will be immense if FIFA get formally invlolved.

Man U won't back down I'm sure of it.

"Slavery" fits in that the players (or their registrations) are owned by their employers so the player cannot just go and work for someone else as easily as "normal" workers - in that context slavery is "correct" but he he shouldn't have used it due to its past - perhaps "bonded" would have been better.

neither can most employees elewhere,ie periods of notice (mine is 6months). i will willingly extend my period of notice by 3 years if they pay me £5000pw

But you can still leave to who you want - as an aside 6 months notices should be illegal imo - its a disincentive to leave which I'd count as restrictive - I'd also argue that those 6 months would be impractical from a work efficiency pov.

I know people sign legal contracts in the "real" world and in football but they have to be moral and practical in my view.

I'm a contractor, I signed up to work for the company I work for, for 6 months. I can't break that contract unless I (well my businessa anyway) compensate the company I work for. It's a little more restrictive in football as they players don't have the right to break contracts unless they are over a certain again, have honoured a certain length of the contract and move oversees. Those are all conditions that could be negoiated into any contract between two parties and make it perfectly legal. It's certainly not slavery.

Blatter and Plantini never fail to amaze me with the crap they talk, but  both organisation are so inherently corrupt that no matter who is in charge the same sort of crap would be spouted.

Blatter has seen this as another opportunity to clip the PL wings again. That's been his agenda for some time.

As bob mentioned earlier the reprocutions of this are horrifying. Oh this team are in the semi final of the FA cup, I think I'll play for them this week, next week I'll play for this team because they are the feature match on Sky, the week after I'll turn out for this team because they are going to pay me a huge appreance bonus.

The beauty about the game is that we as supporters feel a conection to our clubs and the players who player for it, with the increased movement of players over the last few years, this connection has been eroded, this ridiculous idea Blatter has would simply eradicate that connection and fans would be lost to the game.

If he wants a sport who's participants and merely mercenary gun for hires, then he's going about it the right way, but if that day ever comes the heart will be lost forever out for professional football.

Not to be overly PC or owt, but isn't it a bit offensive to people who were kept as peoples property, bought and sold, forced to work for no pay and treated as less than human to Christiano Fucking Ronaldo, multimillionare megastar?

I don't reckon there are too many of them still about to be offended tbf.

Why does he so desperately want the Prem to crumble? He simply hates anything to do with British football mentality it's not just a political stance. It's just weird, there's not much logic behind it at all. He just likes boring football I guess.

Anyway, to sum up: Blatter is a moron.

Isn't this an indirect condemnation of Platini's plan to stop clubs from poaching youth players? Wasn't he in favor of stopping that practice as well? A quote like “If he wants to leave, let him." might not be the best thing to have said on record.

So what about a crap player that a club doesn't want to use but can't transfer to anyone else? Is it "modern slavery" that his contract means the club have to keep paying his wages? Contracts work both ways.

They can release the player and simply pay-up the remainder of the contract or an agreed deal.

Can you imagine if this were the other way around. If a UK club did this to Madrid, Barca, Milan and the like FIFA would be all over it like a rash.

If Ronaldo wants to go then fair enough but do it in the right way, not fecking around in the media, and doing it through all these ""leaked" sources.

The whole saga is doing my head in.

And Blatter is just a joke, the problem is when he goes another lackie will just take over and keep up this dislike of the British game!

It was the other way round when Man United courted Saha & Van Nistelrooy and Liverpool courted Finnan & Heskey via the media.

Ferguson and his "The boy wants to come here" is quickly forgotten about when the boot is on the other foot.

Contracts have to be to a certain extent honored and any deals filtering out of negotiations have to be with mutual concent. If Ronaldo can force the hand of the most powerful club in the world it looks bad for smaller clubs, their finances, their youth product and ultimately their survivability. This is a historic moment in football and the fallout will be immense if FIFA get formally invlolved.

Man U won't back down I'm sure of it.

How would you play this situation if you were Man Utd, Parky?