Bassong: Agreement made with FC Metz.

Stu

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/07/14/Ligue-1-Bassong-on-Newcastle/

Sebastien Bassong has confirmed he is joining Newcastle United for a week's trial.

The Metz defender will leave the Ligue 1 club's pre-season training camp in order to link up with Kevin Keegan's Magpies.

Although Everton have also been linked with the 22-year-old, he is pencilled in to work with Newcastle next week.

"It's a very good thing for me," said the stopper.

"Newcastle are not nothing.

"I will give everything and we will see how my situation is later."

Thanks pal. :lol:

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IN YOUR FACE MAETIHS!!!!!!

Guest MaetihS

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/07/14/Ligue-1-Bassong-on-Newcastle/

Sebastien Bassong has confirmed he is joining Newcastle United for a week's trial.

The Metz defender will leave the Ligue 1 club's pre-season training camp in order to link up with Kevin Keegan's Magpies.

Although Everton have also been linked with the 22-year-old, he is pencilled in to work with Newcastle next week.

"It's a very good thing for me," said the stopper.

"Newcastle are not nothing.

"I will give everything and we will see how my situation is later."

Thanks pal. :lol:

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IN YOUR FACE MAETIHS!!!!!!

mine is that a sarcastic joke! being a newcastle fan be it u believe it or not, i find bassong's words offending and demeaning. what u say to defend a small club.

Guest Heneage

I had a West Ham fan laughing at our signings the other day, I politely reminded him they had bought an Icelandic defender that was it, he promptly went quiet.

I had a West Ham fan laughing at our signings the other day, I politely reminded him they had bought an Icelandic defender that was it, he promptly went quiet.

WHU fan mackems.gif

Other teams fan can laugh at the Guthire transfer, I can give them that, even if I think he is an ok buy for us now. But Jonas? I believe he will turn out to be a good transfer so don´t understand that.

Guest johnson293

I had a West Ham fan laughing at our signings the other day

Who did West Ham sign last summer?

Dyer, Parker, Bellamy, Faubert - how many games did they get out of those 4 last season???  ;D

As above WHU fan  mackems.gif

Purely on the basis that MaethiS thinks he's s***, I reckon he could be a top player. Sign him up, Kev!

on the basis when i was initially blasted in this forum that i feel duff, smith, geremi, are not good signings and that they will drag us further down the table than up when we first signed them? good sign him then and watch us fly :)

Not on this forum you didnt, you slagged off Taylor almost exclusively for a few months, said how shit we were generally but that you trusted in Sam's judgement. Not one post on those players within months of signing them.

So, you're a liar and a cock-mucher.

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/07/15/Prem-Bassong-exclusive-on-Newcastle-/

Sebastien Bassong has revealed to setantasports.com his delight at being handed the chance to win a move to Newcastle.

The 22-year-old Metz defender has been invited to Tyneside for a week-long trial with The Magpies and he has revealed that Arsenal duo Emmanuel Adebayor and Abou Diaby advised him to cross The Channel.

Bassong is not enamoured by the prospect of having to undertake a trial, but is aware it could lead to a move.

“I’m not there yet, I will start a one-week trial at the end of this week,” Bassong told setantasports.com.

“I’m not used to doing trials, so it’s kind of weird to me, but I’ll do it with a lot of joy because it’s a superb opportunity.

“I haven’t spoken with Kevin Keegan yet, but my agent discussed things with him. He told him he’s been following me for a long time and he wants to have a closer look.

“The first contacts were made a few weeks ago. I don’t know what my role will be, but no doubt we’ll speak about it when I’m there.

“My first reaction was happiness, but not euphoria because when a club are interested in you, it doesn’t mean the signing is automatic. The road is still long.

“I know a number of French speaking players are there, but I haven’t spoken to them yet. I will when I’m there.”

The athletic defender understands several clubs in the English and French top flight are also keen on his services, and he claims Metz manager Yvon Pouliquen could block his departure.

“I’m not sure whether the coach will let me leave or not,” Bassong added. “I don’t know what’s at the back of his mind. He could refuse.

“Anyway I have other options in England and in France, both in the top division.

“I have been watching Premier League football for a very long time and my friends Emanuel Adebayor, Abou Diaby, Didier Digard now and Younes Kaboul often speak to me about life there.

“I know it’s going to be a tough test, but it’s part of the game and I’m prepared for it.”

Guest elbee909

Purely on the basis that MaethiS thinks he's s***, I reckon he could be a top player. Sign him up, Kev!

on the basis when i was initially blasted in this forum that i feel duff, smith, geremi, are not good signings and that they will drag us further down the table than up when we first signed them? good sign him then and watch us fly :)

Not on this forum you didnt, you slagged off Taylor almost exclusively for a few months, said how shit we were generally but that you trusted in Sam's judgement. Not one post on those players within months of signing them.

So, you're a liar and a cock-mucher.

:snod: :pow:

So the club let him come here for a trial, but they'd block any transfer? What's the point in that then?

Think he was refering to his current manager.

His current manager who is letting him come on trial but will block the transfer? What's the point in that then?

(is the point I was making)

Bit more info on him at Wiki

Sebastien Bassong is a left-footed centre back but who can also play on the left side of defence at left back. He plays at centre back for the French under 21 national team and has been likened to the Nigeria and Everton centre back, Joseph Yobo. Both players are good on the ball, like a pass and have good aerial prowess. Bassong is a real athlete on the pitch and is also very fast.

If Keegan rates him, looks like he could be decent cover.