Bassong: Agreement made with FC Metz.

Stu

My arse was sweating like John Leslie. The other year.

Played quite well the lad, nice touch. The one he miscontrolled back to Harper in the second half was class.

My arse was sweating like John Leslie. The other year.

Played quite well the lad, nice touch. The one he miscontrolled back to Harper in the second half was class.

He knew what he was doing. ;)

Guest sicko2ndbest

He looked like a young Diatta. Left footed so may complement a aright footed centre half. I thought he outshone Cacapa today.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Cacapa didn't really put a foot wrong. Surprised Bassong got a full game to be honest.

Cacapa looks good during games he has little to do, which to be fair was today. Bassong was strong in the air if not the most cultured. As a 4th choice centre half he could be ok

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/07/28/Prem-Bassong-exclusive-2/

Speaking exclusively to setantasports.com, French defender Sebastien Bassong has expressed his optimism over his chance of joining Newcastle United, following a positive trial under Kevin Keegan.

The 22-year-old spent last week training with The Magpies and Keegan revealed he was impressed with the Metz player’s display against Doncaster Rovers in a friendly.

Bassong is back in France, and claims his experience within the Premier League outfit has been fantastic.

The defender has confessed that Metz coach Yvon Pouliquen will not stand in his way if a decent offer is made.

“Yes, I’m optimistic,” Bassong told setantasports.com. “I spoke with Kevin Keegan, who told me he’s happy with me. That’s a great feeling.

“I don’t know if I’ll be transferred, my agent is aware of it, nevertheless this spell has been fulfilling.

“I discovered a new culture, a different football, and such experiences always help you grow. I don’t know what’s next, we’ll have to wait and see.

“The French-speaking and all the squad’s players helped me settle and feel comfortable.

“It was all about English football, but I didn’t see any dodgy challenges to test me; I like this style of football, it suits me.

“I spoke with the coach [Yvon Pouliquen] on the phone; he asked me how the trial was, nothing more.

“I believe if Newcastle want me and if they reach an agreement with Metz, I will be allowed to move there.”

Will be interesting to see how this turns out, especially if their is truth in the Coloccini story. Can't see us signing both Bassong and Coloccini unless we are sending Edgar out on loan. 

Looks very raw to be fair to the lad, similar to Distin is stature and pace etc and with a bit of coaching could probably be a decent player.

Well keegan did manage Distin for a while so he might see that in the young lad.

Assuming we get Colccini and we have him in the first team with Faye, then Taylor as a third CB and this fella as a fourth wouldn't be a bad idea I don't think. also pretty handy that he can cover at LB if necessary.

David Edgar appears to be talented but I'm not sure if he is up to it physically. Maybe we are looking for another stronger more athletic youngster to bring through.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out, especially if their is truth in the Coloccini story. Can't see us signing both Bassong and Coloccini unless we are sending Edgar out on loan. 

i'd sign 'em both, given our injury record over the past few seasons, it's always good to have strength in depth

i'd sign 'em both, given our injury record over the past few seasons, it's always good to have strength in depth

We've let two CD go since last season, Rozenhal and Ramage, makes sense if we replace them with two others tbh.

I'd be happy with this signing so long as we get Coloccini (or another 'serious' name). I don't especially think we need two centre-backs this summer, but this is probably going to be a tiny fee, plus he's an Under-21 international and represents a lot of potential - he'd hardly be a regular.

Guest neesy111

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/07/28/keegan-and-wise-hold-talks-on-bassong-72703-21417929/

Anal's Drivel

KEVIN KEEGAN plans talks with his director of football Dennis Wise this week before deciding whether to sign Newcastle United trialist Sebastien Bassong.

At £1.5m, the Metz defender comes into United’s price range, but the fact he is already back in France will not give him much hope of finding a permanent peg in the St James’s Park dressing room.

Wise and scout Jeff Vetere were at the Keepmoat Stadium on Saturday where Bassong played the full 90 minutes in the 1-0 defeat by Doncaster Rovers.

To be fair to the 22-year-old French Under-21 international, he did OK in the No 46 shirt, although it has to be said that along with the rest of the United back four, they were not put under the sort of pressure they will get in the Premier League.

And this even though it was obvious that the travelling Toon Army hadn’t a clue who he was as there were no PA announcements. This was because Doncaster wanted to keep the identities of their three trialists a secret in case they were spotted by other watching clubs.

But Keegan emerged after the game to tell me: “I thought Sebastien did very well, and he now goes back to Metz.

“We’ve got a chance to sign him, and I’ll talk with Dennis, and just see where we go from here.

“That’s the first time I’ve seen him in a match. He’s a nice lad. We had him all week. He’s in the French Under-21s so he’s no mug – he can play.”

Bassong, who was born in Paris and prefers to play on the left of the defence, has made more than 70 appearances for Metz.

Meanwhile, United fans have every right to hope that reports circulating over the weekend that the club has made a £4m bid for Arsenal defender Philippe Senderos are wide of the mark.

For the Swiss international is regarded by many as a rich man’s Titus Bramble, known for making plenty of mistakes.

The Chronicle revealed on Saturday night that United are looking at Argentinian defenders Fabricio Coloccini and Nicolas Burdisso.

Both are central defenders, but Coloccini has operated at right-back for Deportivo La Coruna, while Burdisso has shown with Inter Milan that he is also at home at left-back.

And Keegan admitted at Doncaster on Saturday that his priorities are two full-backs.

We know where Anal can go.

Keegan seemed happy with him, he seemed to play well, 1.5m for a 22 year old French U21 defender is nothing.

I dont think signing Coloccini would have a bearing (if true). We still need/want three defenders.

http://www.bonaberi.com/ar,sebastien_bassong_a_newcastle,4767.html

Two weeks ago, we relayed that Sebastien Bassong would be with the test in Newcastle from July 20 for a éventel contract. It would seem that the Cameronian defender of the FC Metz - relegated Leagues 2 of them - made good impression with Sir Kevin Keagan, since according to Eurosport, he will pass the medical visit today, simple formality before the signature.

Last Saturday, Bassong disputed a friendly match where he convinced the trainer of Magpies, and should thus logically engage and join Geremi Ndjitap. For the moment, the amount of the transfer and the wages of the player are not known.

Not a huge signing but pretty exciting. I think it is very promising that after a weeks trial and an appearance in an actual game that Keegan wants to sign him up.

French Under 21 international and 70 odd appearnces for his club at just 21 years old. There must be some talent there.

Not a huge signing but pretty exciting. I think it is very promising that after a weeks trial and an appearance in an actual game that Keegan wants to sign him up.

French Under 21 international and 70 odd appearnces for his club at just 21 years old. There must be some talent there.

He never should be allowed to take a penalty for us mind, check u tube!

http://www.bonaberi.com/ar,sebastien_bassong_a_newcastle,4767.html

Two weeks ago, we relayed that Sebastien Bassong would be with the test in Newcastle from July 20 for a éventel contract. It would seem that the Cameronian defender of the FC Metz - relegated Leagues 2 of them - made good impression with Sir Kevin Keagan, since according to Eurosport, he will pass the medical visit today, simple formality before the signature.

Last Saturday, Bassong disputed a friendly match where he convinced the trainer of Magpies, and should thus logically engage and join Geremi Ndjitap. For the moment, the amount of the transfer and the wages of the player are not known.

I don't see anything on Eurosport

Could be bollocks then, I dunno. :dontknow:

Assuming we're actually signing him, that means we've replaced Ramage, Carr, Rozehnal & Emre for (as of now) Guthrie, Gutierrez & Bassong, with a few more potentially coming in.

I reckon that's alright so far. Of the 4 leaving, neither really played much or reached their potential.