Toon tell Owen to accept £30k a-week pay slash... says the Mail

Kaizero

Guest Heneage

Let's behonest, the amount of bull we've heard here. Im expecting them to run with "Keegan considers lacing up boots for new season".

Dangerous game Ashley's playing, if there's any truth in all this. I hope they've got a good idea of how to replace him, if necessary.

I agree - its one thing getting rid of a moody and erratic N'Zogbia, but a completely different kettle of fish forcing Owen out of the door unless the club has a replacement who will guarantee us enough goals(WITHOUT any off-field dramas, as Owen does)to keep the club safe, let alone win anything.

If Owen leaves and we don't sign a top class forward, I guarantee we will finish in the bottom 6 - all those who disagree may wish to inform me who will get the goals to alter this ?

Why are we messing with our main player like this? Owen is crucial to us, will Ashley and co feel better about themselves if he says no, fucks off and we have 110k a week off the wage bill? Its madness giving him ultimatiums when we should be trying our best to keep him.

The daily spreadsheets will ultimately look better though, and ultimately Ashley & Co. are spreadsheet guys.

Football reality, and how the contract market operates. For top-line players entering contract negotiations in their late 20's, approaching the eve of their twighlight years in other words, this contract deal - ie. lets say 3 to 4 years - will most likely be their last 'big earner'. After this one, after the next deal expires, it's very much about lower contract lengths & lower wage packages as the next batch of top-liners emerge in the same 'wage earning' bracket as they step into the void created as the likes of Owen & Bergkamp.

Owen has every right to tell the club to f*** off, while and Ashley & Co have no idea as to how the market operates with relation to paying the going rate and keeping your key players on board.

On the other hand The Glaziers come from a football background, admittedly a different code, and previously they turned around a cellar franchise in the form of Tampa Bay. Looking at it from a slightly left of centre view they backed their football front-office/a new head coach by keeping their established top players on board - ie. Derek Brooks is one name, and a dominant defensive unit - when they could've allowed them to be picked off in the free agency market in the name of financially restructuring the club/franchise. In other words they payed the aforementioned 'going rate'. And they've done likewise at United.

United strike a healthy relationship with Sporting Lisbon as a source for unearthing their next generation of potential first teamers. The likes of Arsenal & Chelsea have similar agreements/co-existences in Belgium and the like, leagues which are more often than not the first port of call for African talent trying to find a for themselves in Europe. Mikel is an example. We on the other hand travel, in a bid to keep as much of Ashley's cash in his pocket as possible, travel down a cost-effective route just across the Scottish border as reported by Nial & Biffa - a prodigious talent pool.... my arse. The club's talk of emulating the model & example established at Arsenal is PR rubbish.

Pure Spread Sheeters, like Ashley, have no place in football.

Why are we messing with our main player like this? Owen is crucial to us, will Ashley and co feel better about themselves if he says no, fucks off and we have 110k a week off the wage bill? Its madness giving him ultimatiums when we should be trying our best to keep him.

The daily spreadsheets will ultimately look better though, and ultimately Ashley & Co. are spreadsheet guys.

Football reality, and how the contract market operates. For top-line players entering contract negotiations in their late 20's, approaching the eve of their twighlight years in other words, this contract deal - ie. lets say 3 to 4 years - will most likely be their last 'big earner'. After this one, after the next deal expires, it's very much about lower contract lengths & lower wage packages as the next batch of top-liners emerge in the same 'wage earning' bracket as they step into the void created as the likes of Owen & Bergkamp.

Owen has every right to tell the club to f*** off, while and Ashley & Co have no idea as to how the market operates with relation to paying the going rate and keeping your key players on board.

On the other hand The Glaziers come from a football background, admittedly a different code, and previously they turned around a cellar franchise in the form of Tampa Bay. Looking at it from a slightly left of centre view they backed their football front-office/a new head coach by keeping their established top players on board - ie. Derek Brooks is one name, and a dominant defensive unit - when they could've allowed them to be picked off in the free agency market in the name of financially restructuring the club/franchise. In other words they payed the aforementioned 'going rate'. And they've done likewise at United.

Utter crap, the Glazers took over the Bucs and played by the rules of their particular game, i.e. the salary cap, they couldn't replace Brooks for a similar or lower salary so they paid him the required amount needed to make him stay. As for Owen, whilst he is good, he's not worth £110,000 pw anymore - the likes of Ronaldo, etc are on £100kpw or more and MO just isn't in that class anymore.

Also, none of our 'rivals' are paying anywhere near that amount for their top players, Spurs, Everton, Villa - we would like to be competing with that trio next season, but why are we paying almost twice as much as their top earners?

United strike a healthy relationship with Sporting Lisbon as a source for unearthing their next generation of potential first teamers. The likes of Arsenal & Chelsea have similar agreements/co-existences in Belgium and the like, leagues which are more often than not the first port of call for African talent trying to find a for themselves in Europe. Mikel is an example. We on the other hand travel, in a bid to keep as much of Ashley's cash in his pocket as possible, travel down a cost-effective route just across the Scottish border as reported by Nial & Biffa - a prodigious talent pool.... my arse. The club's talk of emulating the model & example established at Arsenal is PR rubbish.

This is just error-laden, I don't know where I should start - the comment about Jon Obi Mikel for one...the only agreement Chelsea had in place to sign Mikel was the one Kenyon brought with him from OT. There was no prior relationship with Lyn :lol:

Once again though, you're comparing the club to the top trio of elite teams in the country, who have far greater spending power and are already established within Europe, which makes it easier when coming to sign players. While I'd love to see us challenging in that top 4 bracket, I'd rather see us progress in an timely and sustainable manner, as opposed to splashing out a couple of million in the hope of 'doing a Chelsea'.

Pure Spread Sheeters, like Ashley, have no place in football.

Just a flame, why bother?

I think we have to accept that Ashley is looking to cut Owen's wages on a new deal. Owen could just sit tight & sign a pre contract with someone else as he lets his contract run down. Or, he could leak the news about the contract offer to the press (a popular way of applying pressure).

I can't see Ashley winning this one. KK wants Owen to stay, we need Owen to stay, both as our highest profile player & with it a reason for other players to sign for us.

We appear to be messing our best player about & that is never good news.

Main player????

110k a week to spend more than half his time on the sick... I will go on the sick for the Toon for less than half That Mr Owen.

Oh aye, the Mail. That Southern paper that f***ing detests us.

Martin Hardy is a Newcastle fan based in North East & is the Mails North East Correspondent. I don't think he writes things because he detests us.

If Man U wanted him and were willing to pay his current wages, he'd be off like a shot. Same for most players. Our board seem pretty confident that Owen wouldn't be able to get the same money anywhere else.

Guest neesy111

Martin Hardy is a Newcastle fan based in North East & is the Mails North East Correspondent. I don't think he writes things because he detests us.

he still talks up shit

he still talks up s***

I thought it was a given that Mike wanted to cut the wage bill though? I would thought cutting the wage of your biggest earner & who is also in the last year of his contract would be the number 1 target of a cost cutting exercise. Do you not?

It's obviously bollocks this story. Very unlikely that the Daily Mail would get hold of inside info like this when the clubs being so tight lipped about most things at the moment.

But. If Ashley was to do this- it wouldn't be such a bad idea? As long as he accepted of course. If his bonuses are goal related and it motivates him to bang in a few extra so he can afford that extra special horse feed then good. And when the goals eventually dry up he'll be getting a lower wage and we wouldn't have a £110,000 burden on our wage bill.

do we hear the sound of pennies dropping ?

Guest 22bnw

I think Owen should accept the pay cut graciously and get on with it...he has been paid over £100k every week for 3 years and hardly played - he talks about wanting to give something back to the club -  now is his chance.

Guest DonnieZane

If this is true then good.  He wasn't worth what we offered him originally, plus he's got a terrible injury record, so why should we offer him the same again?  I'm sick of the club being exploited.  £80,000 per week is a more realistic wage, still slightly over what he's worth IMO, especially considering his appearances record, but nearer to what he should have been offered to begn with.

I think Owen should accept the pay cut graciously and get on with it...he has been paid over £100k every week for 3 years and hardly played - he talks about wanting to give something back to the club -  now is his chance.

The club got money off the FA to cover a good portion of  them costs. Why would he take an approx £30k a week pay cut when he already has another year at approx £110K, he would be bonkers to do it. When he talked about giving back he more than likely meant on the football pitch.

Wouldn't get £80k at many places.

I think there'll be a deal done. He's not stupid, neither are his representatives

He wont get £80k!?! He doesn't have to atm as he is on £100K+. If he is available on free next summer he will easily get £80K a week.  I have no evidence of this as it is in the future but lets hope a deal can be done & he is at Newcastle for a bit longer than his current contract states.

He'll sign.

Interesting Wullie. What makes you so confident?

I hope he does because it's as important as any other signing we make, massive player (when fit).