Toon tell Owen to accept £30k a-week pay slash... says the Mail

Kaizero

Wouldn't get £80k at many places.

I think there'll be a deal done. He's not stupid, neither are his representatives

He wont get £80k!?! He doesn't have to atm as he is on £100K+. If he is available on free next summer he will easily get £80K a week.  I have no evidence of this as it is in the future but lets hope a deal can be done & he is at Newcastle for a bit longer than his current contract states.

Forget what you read in the press about salaries etc. If he chooses to opt for life elsewhere he'd do well to be earning a guaranteed £80k per week.

He'll be 6 months off being 30 when his contract expires. He's had an awful injury record and he's lost his yard of pace that made him stand out.

Don't get me wrong I do like Owen and think he's one of our top players but he's not irreplaceable and he's not worth the money he's on now to be honest.

I'm relatively confident he'll sign. I think he's a pretty honest lad and knows he owes us a couple of good seasons after all his injuries here. If we manage to save a chunk of cash at the same time I'll be congratulating the club, not criticising them. Who knows, that money might go directly towards bringing another good player in.

If this forces him to leave of course, I'll not be happy with them. If he's not our best player, he's certainly our highest-profile player, and we need him to attract others at least. We need to be making a statement that we're willing to pay for the best, even if that's not quite as much as it was previously. £80,000 per week is still a fucking huge wage that will get most of the world's footballers if necessary IMO.

I'm relatively confident he'll sign. I think he's a pretty honest lad and knows he owes us a couple of good seasons after all his injuries here. If he manage to save a chunk of cash at the same time I'll be congratulating the club, not criticising them.

If this forces him to leave of course, I'll not be happy with them. If he's not our best player, he's certainly our highest-profile player, and we need him to attract others at least. We need to be making a statement that we're willing to pay for the best, even if that's not quite as much as it was previously. £80,000 per week is still a fucking huge wage that will get most of the world's footballers if necessary IMO.

Liverpool fans will tell you different.

Wouldn't get £80k at many places.

I think there'll be a deal done. He's not stupid, neither are his representatives

He wont get £80k!?! He doesn't have to atm as he is on £100K+. If he is available on free next summer he will easily get £80K a week.  I have no evidence of this as it is in the future but lets hope a deal can be done & he is at Newcastle for a bit longer than his current contract states.

Forget what you read in the press about salaries etc. If he chooses to opt for life elsewhere he'd do well to be earning a guaranteed £80k per week.

Still has a knack of scoring given the chance & clubs will always back or gamble on that. This week Robbie Fowler is retuning to the Prem because Ince belives he will score goals. If we talking about a midfield or defender I may agree with you but clubs will always gamble big £££'s on strikers.

I'm relatively confident he'll sign. I think he's a pretty honest lad and knows he owes us a couple of good seasons after all his injuries here. If he manage to save a chunk of cash at the same time I'll be congratulating the club, not criticising them.

Liverpool fans will tell you different.

Touché, but that was then. He could have gone anywhere in the world at that point, and knew it. He subsequently went to arguably the biggest club in the world.

I'm relatively confident he'll sign. I think he's a pretty honest lad and knows he owes us a couple of good seasons after all his injuries here. If we manage to save a chunk of cash at the same time I'll be congratulating the club, not criticising them. Who knows, that money might go directly towards bringing another good player in.

If this forces him to leave of course, I'll not be happy with them. If he's not our best player, he's certainly our highest-profile player, and we need him to attract others at least. We need to be making a statement that we're willing to pay for the best, even if that's not quite as much as it was previously. £80,000 per week is still a f***ing huge wage that will get most of the world's footballers if necessary IMO.

You want your cake and eat it too, yes?

If this forces him to leave of course, I'll not be happy with them. If he's not our best player, he's certainly our highest-profile player, and we need him to attract others at least. We need to be making a statement that we're willing to pay for the best, even if that's not quite as much as it was previously. £80,000 per week is still a f***ing huge wage that will get most of the world's footballers if necessary IMO.

Eh? I want both parties to be happy - that means him signing with the club satisfied. If he's forced out neither party will be happy, and nor will I.

Why are fuckers always trying to cause arguments on here?

Ẁhy is everyone going on as if this is NEW news? It was said weeks ago that they were going to ask him to lop 30,000 a week off his salary. He'll be offered huge bonuses if we ever win anything (I won't hold my breath then). The Daily Mail has just revived the story because Jimenez etc must be meeting next week with "his people".

I think he'll sign, after all as others have said no other club is going to offer him 80,000 a week, never mind a ridiculous 110,000.

If I could be arsed I'd look for the previous thread that discussed all this, I'm sure there is one.

Eh? I want both parties to be happy - that means him signing with the club satisfied. If he's forced out neither party will be happy, and nor will I.

We haven't signed the players that they want YET so the dummy is out and everything the club does is wrong, it doesn't take much to work it out.

Ẁhy is everyone going on as if this is NEW news? It was said weeks ago that they were going to ask him to lop 30,000 a week off his salary. He'll be offered huge bonuses if we ever win anything (I won't hold my breath then). The Daily Mail has just revived the story because Jimenez etc must be meeting next week with "his people".

I think he'll sign, after all as others have said no other club is going to offer him 80,000 a week, never mind a ridiculous 110,000.

If I could be arsed I'd look for the previous thread that discussed all this, I'm sure there is one.

Already said the same mate. It's just the Mail dragging up the same story because they've fuck all else to criticise us for right now.

Well, I ´m not trying to pick a fight, just think it's a bit easy to be sitting on the fence on this one. We have a situation here and the club is handling it in a certain way. What you are saying is I will not be judging the action itself, but I will hold them accountable for the end result. Can you not form an opinion about what the club SHOULD be doing, rather than sit back and observe and judge by hindsight? What would you do if you were in charge of affairs at the club?

Well, I ´m not trying to pick a fight, just think it's a bit easy to be sitting on the fence on this one. We have a situation here and the club is handling it in a certain way. What you are saying is I will not be judging the action itself, but I will hold them accountable for the end result. Can you not form an opinion about what the club SHOULD be doing, rather than sit back and observe and judge by hindsight? What would you do if you were in charge of affairs at the club?

Of course it's easy to sit on the fence. I want the best for this club, that's Michael Owen committed here for as little money as possible to keep him. If we can achieve this then great, if we push too hard and he leaves then not great. The outcome is what I'll judge them on, because the principle is sound.

The club should be doing everything in its power to maximise efficiency on costs, just like any business should. I do this every day at work mate. You don't fucking pay more than you can get away with just for the sake of it.

Oh, and to reply on topic as well, my stance is that we should indeed offer Owen reduced wages, not because I want us to reduce the wage bill but because Owen hasn´t been worth his wages for us over the course of his contract unfortunately. He has done well in the second half of last season, but has been a let down for us over the past three seasons (for reasons he can´t be held personally responsible for, I know). If he accepts I will be happy, if he doesn´t I will still be happy to sell him, recoup some money and look for a striker that will work well with Martins.

who else will be willing to pay him 110k a week anyhow ?

arsenal ? no

man u ? doubt it.

liverpool ? turned him down when we signed him

chelsea ? possibly

spurs ? no

villa ? no

everton ? no

pompey ? no

etc etc etc

Missing the point here - they don't HAVE tp pay him 110,000 pw ; if we ask him to accept 80,000 and they then offer 95,000, where do you think he will go?? Even if another top club offers him the same, he would go as he is more likely to win things elsewhere..people are forgetting that, and also the fact that he would probably also do it just to p--- NUFC off ..we cannot win unless no clubs in the top 6 want him.

Oh, and to reply on topic as well, my stance is that we should indeed offer Owen reduced wages, not because I want us to reduce the wage bill but because Owen hasn´t been worth his wages for us over the course of his contract unfortunately. He has done well in the second half of last season, but has been a let down for us over the past three seasons (for reasons he can´t be held personally responsible for, I know). If he accepts I will be happy, if he doesn´t I will still be happy to sell him, recoup some money and look for a striker that will work well with Martins.

[/quote

I question whether any striker will make any difference to Martins' performances as a goalscorer - he is basically an instinctive striker, NOT a team player and Owen is FAR better at taking chances than he is.

There is no way Martins will score many of the goals Owen gets - he is just not savvy enough around the box.

Only the top 4 could really afford his wages, and I doubt any of them would sign him - in fact, he would decimate Arsenal's wage structure so couldn't go there. Maybe Man City could afford him but with what they just dished out for Jo...

That's me being hopeful. In reality I don't think any other team would offer Owen more than £80,000 a week considering his injury record, and he seems to be enjoying his role as captain and the like.

Guest mobiius

this is just a re-hash of the story the media was bandying about a month ago load of shite imo it amazes me where these journo arse wipes get or pretend to get their info from. Why is the toon going to make this public or MO's advisers for that matter ffs. I think its simply a case of sour grapes with the media because as of late they have had no info coming out of SJP so they write shit to upset the camp.I really don't know what is worse those twats for writing their bile or people that believe it as if it had come down from the mountain on a tablet of stone. I think it is really good now that the club isn't releasing anything until the deal is more or less done.long may it continue.If our next signing gets unveiled with no media coverage before hand,give it a few days and watch the negative stories that appear Milner/Martins are due a mention.

What else are you going to do with your cake other than eat it?

Why are we messing with our main player like this? Owen is crucial to us, will Ashley and co feel better about themselves if he says no, fucks off and we have 110k a week off the wage bill? Its madness giving him ultimatiums when we should be trying our best to keep him.

Main player????

Yes, Owen was hardly injured in the 2nd half of last season, in fact iirc he wasnt injured at all? He got back on form and was banging them in for fun. Who else at the club now would give us what Owen gave us under KK last season, and why didnt they give it to us last season?

cos this place is full of argumentative idiots, who argue first, before they understand the facts

Guest rebel_yell12

Not worried.  For one, this is re-hashed we've heard it all before.  Secondly, Owen's probably not on 110k pw -- his wage has gone up, if you read the papers, every year he's been at Newcastle (at signing, he was said to be on 80k, then 90k, then last season 100k, now it's apparently 110k...).  Thirdly, if there is a wage reduction, but Owen is allowed to "recover" the lost wages in bonuses for appearances and goals, etc., he'll probably realise a move isn't profitable.  Thirdly, this is the Daily Mail.  When's the last time that "paper" did anything but scare-mongering about Newcastle United?  It's all drama and outlandish rumours.

Also, I don't think Ashley is an idiot.  You generally don't get to be a billionaire by being bad with money/not understanding business.  In recruiting power, general prestige and reputation, as well as ability on the pitch, Michael Owen is worth his wages.  I still find it somehow odd that the same club that employs Owen, employs Barton.  Are there any two more opposite reputations in football?  If Ashley was really worried about the wage bill, he'd be moving Barton & Smith (appears Duff is already on the move, according to rumours) who aren't worth anywhere near what they're paid.  

I wonder if Owen and the people at Newcastle ever read these articles...be interesting if he really is on 80k per week, as was reported when he signed.  "Owen told to take pay cut to 80k per week" and here's all them thinking...that's not a cut.    

Guest Phil K

I don't think he'll sign.

But nor do I think anyone else will pay the sort of money he's on.

If he goes to one of the successful clubs, then it'll be for less than he's offered now.