Toon tell Owen to accept £30k a-week pay slash... says the Mail

Kaizero

Guest ObaStar

I don't understand, if he wants his £105,000 a week, then surely we can say to him he can have £75,000 a week, followed by £20,000 appearance bonus and £10,000 goal bonus?

That way he's getting his £105,000 and if he's injured long-term then Ashley saves his £30,000 a week.

Owen knows he is gonna get injured therefor wants 105 K straight cash

Guest ObaStar

What annoys me a little is that this 30 K paycut is 1.5 million pounds less per year on Owens salary. it is not worth losing our best player over 1.5 Million pounds. I mean Shola is worth twice that. Its stupid to be fighting over such a small amount (relative to his total salary and transfer fee).

p.s.  :joker: Im ole greg

Guest Mucky01

He'll sign.

He was overpaid by about £50,000 a week to start off with thanks to Shepherd.

thanks to Real Madrid more like, as that was the wedge he was on there, that we had to match to get him to leave.

The side is in deep Do-Do if no agreement is reached - I cannot see either party being happy to let the contract drag on to a Bosman 'Free' at the end of next season, so , if nothing is sorted on the wages front, expect a last-minute transfer to another club by the end of August, or , if other clubs want proof of his fitness, by Christmas.

He will be very difficult to replace and we will be lucky to end up above 15th place if he goes WITHOUT being replaced.

Guest Flair

The side is in deep Do-Do if no agreement is reached - I cannot see either party being happy to let the contract drag on to a Bosman 'Free' at the end of next season, so , if nothing is sorted on the wages front, expect a last-minute transfer to another club by the end of August, or , if other clubs want proof of his fitness, by Christmas.

He will be very difficult to replace and we will be lucky to end up above 15th place if he goes WITHOUT being replaced.

:nope:

Offer Owen £70,000 per week, £20,000 appearance bonus and £20,000 goal bonus.  That way he's potentially getting a wage rise if he plays every week and scores plenty of goals.

Are you mental?  Its there to make sure he doesn't get paid if he's injured you cracker.  Instead of paying him £105,000 per week no matter what.  He gets £70,000 every week regardless, £20,000 if he's fit to play and £20,000 if he scores.  So if he's injured he only costs us £70,000 instead of £105,000.  But if he's fit and on form he can potentially earn £110,000, but he'd have to be banging them in left right and center to do that, which means we'd then be happy to pay it... get it?

Are you mental?  Its there to make sure he doesn't get paid if he's injured you cracker.  Instead of paying him £105,000 per week no matter what.  He gets £70,000 every week regardless, £20,000 if he's fit to play and £20 if he scores.  So if he's injured we save £20,000, if he's off form and not scoring we save £20,000..  get it?

Cool your jets, Iceman. :lol:

principle is a performance type of pay system for footballers. I would totally agree with teasy proposing a step in that direction. The problem is the players, and the PFA, who would simply not entertain the idea, despite it being a step in the right direction for many hundreds or thousands of its members that would see committment to their clubs, and actual good consistent performance, being paid its due merits.

principle is a performance type of pay system for footballers. I would totally agree with teasy proposing a step in that direction. The problem is the players, and the PFA, who would simply not entertain the idea, despite it being a step in the right direction for many hundreds or thousands of its members that would see committment to their clubs, and actual good consistent performance, being paid its due merits.

I agree, but I find it absurd offering someone that much for actually being fit to do something they are already paid very handsomely for. Fair enough for goal bonuses, win bonuses etc but that much for just actually being fit to play is mental.

So you'd prefer to pay the player that £20,000 wether they were fit or not then?  ???  Try to get past this "but we're paying him just to be fit" thing Tooj.  The idea is merely to take the wage that the player currently gets up front (£105,000 in this case) and split it up based on performance to ensure we get value for money.  He gets a basic that's significantly less then the wage he wants, another chunk of it on appearances and the final part per goal.  This ensures that he will only get his full wage if he's fit to play every single game and bangs the goals in.

I agree, but I find it absurd offering someone that much for actually being fit to do something they are already paid very handsomely for. Fair enough for goal bonuses, win bonuses etc but that much for just actually being fit to play is mental.

depends how you dress it up though mate, call it "appearance pay", and encompass it with actually being selected ?

So you'd prefer to pay the player that £20,000 wether they were fit or not then?  ???  Try to get past this "but we're paying him just to be fit" thing Tooj.  The idea is merely to take the wage that the player wants (£105,000 in this case) and split it up based on performance to ensure we get value for money.  He gets a basic that's significantly less then the wage he wants, another chunk of it on appearances to ensure that to get his full wage he has to play every game, and the final part per goal to make sure he only gets all his cash if he's scoring.

I agree with the concept chap and the thought process behind it most definitely, just we don't agree on the figures that's all. Regardless I'm sure our men behind the scenes are doing all they can to get this sorted in whatever way they can, which is I'm sure what we all want.  :thup:

What figures do you suggest then?  You have to remember that Owen is currently on £105,000 no matter what.  He's not going to accept a pay cut, so any performance based contract we offer him has to be one that he believes can realistically earn him the same he's on now (if he believes he's over his injuries ect).

depends how you dress it up though mate, call it "appearance pay", and encompass it with actually being selected ?

What utter tosh. He's the captain, of course he'll be selected if he's fit.

What utter tosh. He's the captain, of course he'll be selected if he's fit.

oh dear.

What figures do you suggest then?

I don't know because I don't know what the market rate currently is for things such as this, or how far each party is inevitably off with regards to the current negotiations, I'm probably just looking at it from a moral standpoint as well, when it shows everything that is wrong with the game when say someone can demand such a figure for playing for a team I'm sure we'd all given the opportunity play for for free.

What figures do you suggest then?

I don't know because I don't know what the market rate currently is for things such as this, or how far each party is inevitably off with regards to the current negotiations, I'm probably just looking at it from a moral standpoint as well, when it shows everything that is wrong with the game when say someone can demand such a figure for playing for a team I'm sure we'd all given the opportunity play for for free.

Agreed. He's a greedy monster.