So who could we sign that would pacify you?

Dave

This is something of a follow up to the 'realistic summer targets' thread, which has kind of descended into an archive of newspaper gossip.

I'd like to hear some names of players you would like us to sign (and we could realistically attract without Europe etc), in order to convince you of the club's ambitions. I keep reading posts that say or imply 'not good/exotic/expensive enough', but I rarely read alternative suggestions. Who could we bring in that would excite you?

Fire away.

I'd like to see us go further with our supposed pre-tournament interest in Gomis and Arda. The hype of Euro 2008 has virtually disappeared now; even Arshavin is finding it's not that easy to walk into a lucrative contract on the back of a few good games. Gomis was gash anyway. :lol:

However, I've seen enough in the brief clips of Gomis and the international performances of Arda to suggest they were exciting targets for us. Both could be persuaded away by the Premier League IMO.

Not too concerned for most part of who it is we actually sign, I have faith in KK and the scouting team to pick the right players for us.

More concerned we get the amount of players we need in the right areas of the pitch, I still think we are short of any real creative genius in CM (although maybe time will tell with Guthrie/Guiterrez). We also need defensive reinforcements back up LB, CB and maybe a RB. Should Ameobi leave, another Striker too.

IMO, we need a could 4/5 players more.

Michael Owen

Doesn't count, unfortunately. See the lack of fuss when Taylor re-signed for proof of that.

Eh?

'Shouldn't have got to this point anyway' etc etc.

A three page thread compared to the 24 the £2m Guthrie generated.

I trust the manager to identify and bring in his targets, that'll do for me as he's better than I am at knowing what he wants the team to do next season and who he needs to make his plans work.

Keegan has missed out on players in the past and brought in players who have been excellent for us, Ginola being one second choice player that worked.

Michael Owen

Doesn't count, unfortunately. See the lack of fuss when Taylor re-signed for proof of that.

Eh?

'Shouldn't have got to this point anyway' etc etc.

A three page thread compared to the 24 the £2m Guthrie generated.

I see.

Can I still say Michael Owen though? ;)

I trust the manager to identify and bring in his targets, that'll do for me as he's better than I am at knowing what he wants the team to do next season and who he needs to make his plans work.

Keegan has missed out on players in the past and brought in players who have been excellent for us, Ginola being one second choice player that worked.

Thank fuck we got Ginola btw and not Salako. :lol:

I can't think of many players from these shores who i think we could sign realistically and would send us to a top 6 level unfortunatly. Not that i'm expecting top 6 next season. I think KK is gonna have to have a good look abroad to find players for a decent price who can send us up to the next level. Our midfield worries me mostly. If we can at least get a good centre back and a couple of quality central midfielders in i would be happy with that as far as the starting 11 goes. Obviously if we lose N'Zogbia then that all changes as well because i have absolutely no faith in Duff. As far as the squad goes, we have quite a few spaces to fill, and we can't afford to fill them with wasters.

Its unrealistic and highly unlikely but David Bentley would send out all the right signals for me

I agree and I'd like to see us in for him especially if it's a battle between Villa and Spurs. Unfortunately I think he's got ideas above our station now, and will probably see those two as better bets.

Its unrealistic and highly unlikely but David Bentley would send out all the right signals for me

I agree and I'd like to see us in for him especially if it's a battle between Villa and Spurs. Unfortunately I think he's got ideas above our station now, and will probably see those two as better bets.

Yeah. London bound I think

Wouldn't be so keen on Bentley because I think there are more pressing priorities - namely in central midfield and up front in place of Viduka. Some top class in either of those positions would really see us pushing up the table imo.