So who could we sign that would pacify you?

Dave

I wish we'd just step away from Top 4 cast-offs altogether tbh. Not one has worked out. Nicky Butt is about as good as it gets.

Isn't that more down to us buying badly though? Doesn't matter where they come from if they're crap. You have a point though in that most of the players they let go are sold because they're on the way down.

I wish we'd just step away from Top 4 cast-offs altogether tbh. Not one has worked out. Nicky Butt is about as good as it gets.

I'm sure Aston Villa fans wish their club would have taken that attitude with Paul McGrath as well.

Isn't that more down to us buying badly though? Doesn't matter where they come from if they're crap. You have a point though in that most of the players they let go are sold because they're on the way down.

:thup: Precisely. Every mug we've got off Man Utd or Chelsea, regardless of what age they are and whether they've still got potential to fulfill, has had their career hindered through seasons sat on the bench. Ben Haim (Sidwell, too) is one of those players.

I'm sure Aston Villa fans wish their club would have taken that attitude with Paul McGrath as well.

You're having to go back quite a way to come up with an example ;D

Babayaro?

:razz: How could i forget the God that is Baba? He is literally the only reason i kept following the club through the Souness and Roeder years. I was all ready to pack it in when he got chucked this season. Powered through hard times, though.

;)

Ben Haim is a lot better than what we have with the exception of Faye

Can't say he's ever looked that good to me. Would have taken him on a free the other year but he chased the cash like Sidwell IMO; never stood a chance of getting in before Terry and Carvalho.

:nods:

That´s easy for us to say on the sidelines isn´t it? As a player you just want the chance to prove yourself at the highest level possible and, yes, maybe earn a decent wage while you´re at it. People go on like going to Chelsea is just about the money way too much. It´s not like a top player going to a Middle East club when they´re competing for every trophy around is it..? A cynic would argue players that cho(o)se us over other clubs went for the money rather than for sporting reasons..

Can't say he's ever looked that good to me. Would have taken him on a free the other year but he chased the cash like Sidwell IMO; never stood a chance of getting in before Terry and Carvalho.

That´s easy for us to say on the sidelines isn´t it? As a player you just want the chance to prove yourself at the highest level possible and, yes, maybe earn a decent wage while you´re at it. People go on like going to Chelsea is just about the money way too much. It´s not like a top player going to a Middle East club when they´re competing for every trophy around is it..? A cynic would argue players that cho(o)se us over other clubs went for the money rather than for sporting reasons..

Sadly in a number of cases you have those two things the wrong way round.

Huh?

Butt, Parker, Duff, Babayaro, Geremi, Smith... :undecided:

I can't see an awful lot to advocate us delving into Top 4 squads again this summer. Those that we could get just aren't worth getting. Even signing SWP would have it's potential problems.

As a free transfer from Bolton, if he honestly thought he would get in the Chelsea team ahead of club captain John Terry and £19.8m Ricardo Carvalho - one of the best defenders in the world - I wouldn't want him as he's clearly a mentalist.

As a free transfer from Bolton, if he honestly thought he would get in the Chelsea team ahead of club captain John Terry and £20m Ricardo Carvalho - one of the best defenders in the world - I wouldn't want him as he's clearly a mentalist.

You'd have to be a mentalist to not move from a club like Bolton to a club like Chelsea when given the chance..

yeah I agree, cant blame Ben Haim for wanting to play under Mourinho and learn from the likes of Terry, Carvalho etc

Huh?

What Dave said above.

yeah I agree, cant blame Ben Haim for wanting to play under Mourinho and learn from the likes of Terry, Carvalho etc

:nope:

£ $ £ $ £ $ £ $ £ $ £ $ £ $ £ $ £ $ £ $ £ $ £ $ £ $ £

In my opinion.

You'd have to be a mentalist to not move from a club like Bolton to a club like Chelsea when given the chance..

Depends whether you give a toss about actually playing or not I suppose.

As a free transfer from Bolton, if he honestly thought he would get in the Chelsea team ahead of club captain John Terry and £20m Ricardo Carvalho - one of the best defenders in the world - I wouldn't want him as he's clearly a mentalist.

doesn't really matter if he's a free transfer ,je was only free through bosman not cos bolton didn't rate him and wanted. ballack was a free aswell.

the names are obvious. the van der vaart's,arshavins etc. but i don't mind getting in some lesser known names providing the homework has been done on them.

the names of ginola,robert, ,solano wouldn't have appeared on most peoples lists before they signed and i remember a lot of weeping and waling when we signed bellamy and speed.

I'd certainly be pleased with Derdiyok from what I saw in the Euros but I don't think his signing would do a great deal of pacifying tbh. Probably the opposite. :lol:

I don't know, players like Arda and Gomis were probably little known by most before we were linked but are now way out of our league and obviously too good for us.

Suppose it depends on the price, if we sign the lad for £4m then it probably wont pacify but £10m and a few more would be won over.