It's all happening in Consett

davy_fulla

Me dad's just been on the phone to say Consett town centre has been closed off.  Armed police outside Wetherspoons - something to do with some Iraqis going mad with a gun.  Just when I was saying there's nowt on the telly  :lol:

Street sealed off in armed siege

The main street in a County Durham town has been sealed off amid reports of an armed man who has barricaded himself into a flat.

Police closed Front Street in Consett in the early hours after being alerted to the incident.

Three men, a woman and two children were able to leave the flat, above a fast food takeaway, at 0600 BST.

Police negotiators are at the scene and the man, thought to be in his late 20s, is now believed to be alone.

Ch Insp Ivan Wood, of Durham Police, said: "Our aim is to peacefully resolve the current situation by exercising patience and minimising any danger to the public, police officers and the man inside the flat."

All traffic is being diverted away from the scene.

Guest lankybellwipe

Gonna pop along for a nose.

Nosey bastard you!

TELL US ALL WHAT HAPPENED DAVE! CONSETT'S 20 MILE AWAY!

Not sure if anything happened or it was because of the festival in my town yesterday but I had to walk through those metal detector gate things, empty my pockets and then be frisked when coming out of Hitchin train station.

(No jokes about me looking like a dodgy foreigner, you know who you are!).

Guest lankybellwipe

Not sure if anything happened or it was because of the festival in my town yesterday but I had to walk through those metal detector gate things, empty my pockets and then be frisked when coming out of Hitchin train station.

Didn't you mistake a train for an airport?

Well it's all over now.  Some 28yr old bloke locked himself in the flat above No.1 Pizza. The bloke surrendered and got taken away. 

It's amazing how the rumour mill works though - my dad was told it was a group of Iraqis burst into Wetherspoons with guns  ;D

That's the excitment in Consett over for another decade - back to the mundane.

Guest lankybellwipe

Well it's all over now.  Some 28yr old bloke locked himself in the flat above No.1 Pizza. The bloke surrendered and got taken away. 

It's amazing how the rumour mill works though - my dad was told it was a group of Iraqis burst into Wetherspoons with guns  ;D

I heard it was a massive terrorist attack on Pizza1, for making shit kebabs and that!

Well it's all over now.  Some 28yr old bloke locked himself in the flat above No.1 Pizza. The bloke surrendered and got taken away

Hope that was on purpose  :laugh:

would be nice if they could still seal consett off. (for good)

Definaetly because of rhythms

Scary, forgot you were another Hitchin lad :lol:

Bit OTT though.

Scary, forgot you were another Hitchin lad :lol:

Bit OTT though.

Yer but i guess its gunna be lots of people in a relatively small space so best take no risks

was much better in the town centre though

I didnt even go in, was at work yesterday evening, just went out in the town centre yesterday night and been working again today. I've been told it wasn't great though