What are your expectations for next season?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think this might tell us a lot about why many aren't happy with the signings so far, so let's put that to one side.

What do you expect for next season? This isn't about what you hope to do, nor is it to do with 'if we sign player X, Y and Z I think we'lll...' etc.

I expect us to finish relatively comfortably in the top half of the table, with a view to pushing on the following season. I think Keegan could probably have achieved 10th given a full season with this lot, considering we only finished six points back after a year we all accept was gash. So I expect the better manager to do better than that.

Finishing something like eighth with promise for the following season would do me fine for now.

I think this might tell us a lot about why many aren't happy with the signings so far, so let's put that to one side.

What do you expect for next season? This isn't about what you hope to do, nor is it to do with 'if we sign player X, Y and Z I think we'lll...' etc.

I expect us to finish relatively comfortably in the top half of the table, with a view to pushing on the following season. I think Keegan could probably have achieved 10th given a full season with this lot, considering we only finished six points back after a year we all accept was gash. So I expect the better manager to do better than that.

Finishing something like eighth with promise for the following season would do me fine for now.

Agreed.  8th probably,  maybe pushing for intertoto.

Comfortable top half finish, possibly pushing the likes of Pompey, Everton and Blackburn for a European spot.

It obviously depends who we sign and injuries, etc.

Don't see why people are being so pessimistic though.

I think we'll finish 10th. However, I'm basing that on the current squad, and you've banned people from speculating.

:D

But is that where you'd expect to be with the current squad? I just get the feeling some expect us to be pushing much higher than I think is reasonable at this stage. That's the point I'm trying to make.

I think we'll finish 10th. However, I'm basing that on the current squad, and you've banned people from speculating.

But is that where you'd expect to be with the current squad? I just get the feeling some expect us to be pushing much higher than I think is reasonable at this stage. That's the point I'm trying to make.

We should be aiming for europe in my opinion (the club, not the fans). I'd like to hear what expectations Ashley and Keegan have.

We should be aiming for europe in my opinion (the club, not the fans). I'd like to hear what expectations Ashley and Keegan have.

Fair enough, particularly the latter part. It's hard to say what (if anything) should be read into Keegan having so little to say to the press so far.

Guest Stephen927

With the current squad - Break into top half

With improvements - Comfortable top half.

Thats my minimum expectation.

At this precise moment in time, I'd probably go for about 10th too.

With a few more astute signings then I'd expect us to be top 10 comfortably and with a bit of momentum (or some serious quality brought in) we could have an outside challenge for the UEFA Cup spots.

Guest Wally_McFool

I expect us to comfortably avoid relegation, but will only finish  between 11th and 16th depending on luck with injuries suspensions etc!

Cant see the present squad qualifying for Europe. However, the transfer window aint shut yet so you never know!  :crazy2:

For the love of god, it seems some expect rather more... Although i can't even decipher what the below is even trying to say. If anyone has 5 spare minutes please send something to F365 to let them know we aren't all total retards:

A Depressing Summer For A Toon Fan

Every day I come to your website, multiple times a day, when I should be working. I'm mostly waiting for a bit of news on my team (Newcastle United). I am deeply unhappy with the summer. Not only is it a lot colder than it should be but not much has been happening at NUFC outside the Joey Barton 'fiasco' (Honestly, a blind baby panda bear could have seen that coming, no?). So I have tried to self-reflect and explain the emptiness we all feel in July.

We have all played Championship Manager and we have all won. We have all signed Ronaldhino and Gerrard because we were challenging for the CL final. We have lived through the emotion simulated on a PC and now we want to see it in real life. The problem is computer games only take seconds to simulate weeks, and we want all the transfers done in the hour and half it took us last night in our bedrooms.

But in reality, at a club (like NUFC which is looking more stable than it has done since Uncle Bobby was in charge), that sort of quantity of news isn't generated. Tabloids are speculating faster and wronger than ever before. Why? Because nothing newsworthy is really going on.

Nowadays in an age of information at our finger tips 24/7 via the internet that fans have an insatiable desire for 'info'. We want to know exactly what schemes Keegan is concocting for the match at Old Trafford, who's coming for a nosey round the stadium.

I remember when you used to have to check teletext every day, all year because there were no transfer windows. Still most transfers happened in the summer, but they weren't given the same credence, the same importance as they have with the current generation. When Andy Cole went to Man Yoo, I was gutted. He was crap before we sold him, but he was still my hero. I knew nothing about it til it happened. But that made it more dramatic. When Shearer turned down Alex and jumped into bed with Kev, I didn't know about it til it happened. But that didn't matter, because I knew about it WHEN it happened. I didn't really need to know before because I didn't know Alan Shearer and couldn't have greased the wheels to get him to sign for Newcastle.

I still want to know before 'it' happens, but telling me is not really a good idea. Why? Cos I'd blab to everybody, and the club I support would look stupid if it didn't come off. (And there might have been a ManYoo fan who was listening and then they'd have paid more and got Shearer.)

Ah the mid-nineties I was happier then. I didn't have to watch Sky Sports News for hours waiting for some Newcastle-related things to happen. I didn't have to peruse endless blog sites looking to burden someone with my opinion. My mum wouldn't let me phone Teamtalk, It was too expensive, and mostly as much crap as it is now. I wasn't as...obsessed.

It isn't the club's fault. It's mine. I know I have an obsession. I invested in the club emotionally. All they are offering is a ticket to come and watch them kick a ball around. They aren't offering to be my mates, or to take me out on the lash. They actually make a lot more provision than they used to. Stories every day about NUFC on their website. There are places I can go and talk to other similarly deranged folks...

But it is not enough. They aren't satisfying because 'we' (I should stress at this point I have never played for Newcastle United) still haven't won anything. Man Yoo fans will be listening to Giggs regail them with tales of 2 CLs and 10 EPLs. We get John Beresford telling us how much Steven Taylor has improved. That is the essence of the problem. We haven't signed anybody who will win us the league because we aren't good enough to challenge. We need to improve year by year and really the big stadium, the high-profile players, the 'loyalty' of the fans, well ultimately all that stuff means nothing without even a League Cup. Even Spurs have the League Cup.

So what is the reason we are all miserable? Because Newcastle were crap last year.

Michael J McGowan (Does that J make my name look fat?)

http://www.football365.com/mailbox/story/0,17033,8744_3817216,00.html

Maybe we've just discovered DaehtihS's real name...

Guest Deep456

For the love of god, it seems some expect rather more... Although i can't even decipher what the below is even trying to say. If anyone has 5 spare minutes please send something to F365 to let them know we aren't all total retards:

A Depressing Summer For A Toon Fan

Every day I come to your website, multiple times a day, when I should be working. I'm mostly waiting for a bit of news on my team (Newcastle United). I am deeply unhappy with the summer. Not only is it a lot colder than it should be but not much has been happening at NUFC outside the Joey Barton 'fiasco' (Honestly, a blind baby panda bear could have seen that coming, no?). So I have tried to self-reflect and explain the emptiness we all feel in July.

We have all played Championship Manager and we have all won. We have all signed Ronaldhino and Gerrard because we were challenging for the CL final. We have lived through the emotion simulated on a PC and now we want to see it in real life. The problem is computer games only take seconds to simulate weeks, and we want all the transfers done in the hour and half it took us last night in our bedrooms.

But in reality, at a club (like NUFC which is looking more stable than it has done since Uncle Bobby was in charge), that sort of quantity of news isn't generated. Tabloids are speculating faster and wronger than ever before. Why? Because nothing newsworthy is really going on.

Nowadays in an age of information at our finger tips 24/7 via the internet that fans have an insatiable desire for 'info'. We want to know exactly what schemes Keegan is concocting for the match at Old Trafford, who's coming for a nosey round the stadium.

I remember when you used to have to check teletext every day, all year because there were no transfer windows. Still most transfers happened in the summer, but they weren't given the same credence, the same importance as they have with the current generation. When Andy Cole went to Man Yoo, I was gutted. He was crap before we sold him, but he was still my hero. I knew nothing about it til it happened. But that made it more dramatic. When Shearer turned down Alex and jumped into bed with Kev, I didn't know about it til it happened. But that didn't matter, because I knew about it WHEN it happened. I didn't really need to know before because I didn't know Alan Shearer and couldn't have greased the wheels to get him to sign for Newcastle.

I still want to know before 'it' happens, but telling me is not really a good idea. Why? Cos I'd blab to everybody, and the club I support would look stupid if it didn't come off. (And there might have been a ManYoo fan who was listening and then they'd have paid more and got Shearer.)

Ah the mid-nineties I was happier then. I didn't have to watch Sky Sports News for hours waiting for some Newcastle-related things to happen. I didn't have to peruse endless blog sites looking to burden someone with my opinion. My mum wouldn't let me phone Teamtalk, It was too expensive, and mostly as much crap as it is now. I wasn't as...obsessed.

It isn't the club's fault. It's mine. I know I have an obsession. I invested in the club emotionally. All they are offering is a ticket to come and watch them kick a ball around. They aren't offering to be my mates, or to take me out on the lash. They actually make a lot more provision than they used to. Stories every day about NUFC on their website. There are places I can go and talk to other similarly deranged folks...

But it is not enough. They aren't satisfying because 'we' (I should stress at this point I have never played for Newcastle United) still haven't won anything. Man Yoo fans will be listening to Giggs regail them with tales of 2 CLs and 10 EPLs. We get John Beresford telling us how much Steven Taylor has improved. That is the essence of the problem. We haven't signed anybody who will win us the league because we aren't good enough to challenge. We need to improve year by year and really the big stadium, the high-profile players, the 'loyalty' of the fans, well ultimately all that stuff means nothing without even a League Cup. Even Spurs have the League Cup.

So what is the reason we are all miserable? Because Newcastle were crap last year.

Michael J McGowan (Does that J make my name look fat?)

http://www.football365.com/mailbox/story/0,17033,8744_3817216,00.html

Blimey, no-one's going to read that.

After the dramatic improvement at the end of last season and with us holding our own and more against some tough teams (Spurs, Portsmouth) with such a shit squad, with a few more signings there's no reason why we can't get into Europe. I wouldn't say I'm expecting Europe, but I'm expecting a decent challenge for 6th.

That's actually a pretty good letter. The desire for news every minute of every day (and the fact that it's readily available, made up or otherwise) is what leads to a lot of the moaning. Long gone are the days where you'd sit back at the end of the summer and see who we'd bought. Now people moan at the signing of Guthrie because they're desperate to believe it means something greater.

Dave - seriously, you think that's a good letter? The guy can barely string a sentence together and things such as:

"Tabloids are speculating faster and wronger than ever before. Why? Because nothing newsworthy is really going on."

"When Andy Cole went to Man Yoo, I was gutted. He was crap before we sold him, but he was still my hero."

"Ah the mid-nineties I was happier then. I didn't have to watch Sky Sports News for hours waiting for some Newcastle-related things to happen. I didn't have to peruse endless blog sites looking to burden someone with my opinion. My mum wouldn't let me phone Teamtalk, It was too expensive, and mostly as much crap as it is now. I wasn't as...obsessed." (not even sure what the hell this means!)

"But it is not enough. They aren't satisfying because 'we' (I should stress at this point I have never played for Newcastle United) still haven't won anything. Man Yoo fans will be listening to Giggs regail them with tales of 2 CLs and 10 EPLs. We get John Beresford telling us how much Steven Taylor has improved."

"So what is the reason we are all miserable? Because Newcastle were crap last year. "

All that irked me somewhat...

Erm...what exactly is wrong with that text? Pretty much spot on in my opinion.