Distin: NUFC wouldn't meet my wage demands

Dave

http://www.newspostleader.co.uk/newcastleunited/United-failed-to-meet-my.4288044.jp

FORMER Newcastle United loanee and now Portsmouth defender Sylvain Distin said he did not sign permanently for the Magpies because they failed to match his salary expectatons.

The former Manchester City player has spoken out on his failure to join United full-time after a highly successful season on loan back in 2001-02.

"They said they wanted me to stay, wanted me to sign, but nothing happened," Distin told Setanta Sports News.

"Then in the final week before the season finished they came to me and offered me a contract.

"When you come to England from France, they give you a bit more than you earned in France and it is amazing.

"But then when you arrive and see players the same age as you driving Aston Martins and Porsches when you buy your first nice car, you realise there is a big gap between you and them.

"And you don't really understand why because some players were never playing and I played every game."

At the time Distin was a Paris St Germain player and Newcastle were expected to make his stay permanent on Tyneside.

But the Frenchman turned his back on the club and moved to Manchester City.

"I was not asking for the big wage of the club as that is not who I am, but I gave my best and did not feel it was fair that I was going to be paid less than someone who played four or five games a season," he added.

"They stuck to their proposition and that is why at the end of the day I did not sign."

Distin was speaking after receiving a £2,000 fine for failing to show up at court for a recent Joey Barton case where he was due to be a witness in the Newcastle midfielder's trial.

Random comments. ???

Anyway, thought this never happened before?

Its all about fucking image with these cunt head footballers.

"he has a better car than me"

"he earns more than me"

blah blah blah, its such a tough life eh.

Fucking nobs. and Frank Lampard can fuck off as well.  Greedy pink vest wearing nonse.

Guest Gh0StFaC3

This is old news, isn't it?

My thoughts exactly.. this was public at the time.  It's not as though this is new information like.

This is old news, isn't it?

My thoughts exactly.. this was public at the time.  It's not as though this is new information like.

I just thought the forum could do with another argument about the old board.

He is the epitomy of the foreign mercenary.

The worst thing in modern football along with their agents

The great shame is that as well as being ludicrously rewarded they are also idolised by fans who are the only ones who show any loyalty in the affair.

loved the way he laughed down the phone at the pricks demanding he appear in court.

A thumbs up for that one!

Yes, there's nothing better than a rich man laughing at a policeman who is trying to do his job by getting a witness to a crime to turn up to a court case.

The rich are above the law. Take that common man! A victory for the haves over the have nots.  :idiot2:

loved the way he laughed down the phone at the pricks demanding he appear in court.

Yes, there's nothing better than a rich man laughing at a policeman who is trying to do his job by getting a witness to a crime to turn up to a court case.

The rich are above the law. Take that common man! A victory for the haves over the have nots.  :idiot2:

i've always thought fines and stuff should be based on the wealth of the person.

Couldn't shift Dabizas and O'Brien.

Was probably offered his true worth.

Didn't think he was any better than those 2 back then.

Really? ???  I thought he looked a very solid defender with fantastic physical attributes, I was very annoyed when we missed out on him.

Guest Sniffer

Perhaps because he was lying about what he saw and didn't want to lie on the stand. Either way it couldn't have been that important to him.

Guest neesy111

We let him go and sign Bramble for 5 million and the rest is history........... The club was in a fine mess back then....

yeah like the fact we had just finished 4th hmmm

It quite a strange thing to say because  while the England left back Ashley Cole was on 25K per week (source his book), Olly Bernard was asking NUFC for 50K per week (source Lee Clark).

Also some of what he said is true for any walk of life  i.e the majority of foreign workers originally move for a few more ££'s but once settled realise they could make a load more ££££'s than what they originally thought.