Greater Manchester

Colos Short and Curlies

Righto Chaps/Chapesses

I know we have some worldy types on here who have lived around Manchester.

Got the opportunity for a promotion which would involve relocating to the Greater Manchester Area.

The job is based in just outside the South-Eastern boundary of Greater Manchester in Glossop.

Need some advice on where the better areas to potentially live around South or East Manchester are. Would also consider moveing into Yorkshire (Barnsley area roughly) or at a push Derbyshire (Buxton area).

Slight longshot on a Toon forum, but has anyone lived/spent an extended time around there?

Glossop itself is a beautiful place but if you like city living then you might find it just a little bit too countrified for your taste, although it does have a canny mixture of country pubs, bars and restaurants. I lived in Ashton-under-Lyne and Stalybridge which are less than 10 miles from Glossop but also keep you within 6 miles of Manchester city centre in the other direction, so I could be in the city or the countryside in 15 minutes either way. Maybe have a look around any of the Tameside (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tameside) towns to see whether you'd fancy being round there. It has it's good and bad areas, like anywhere, but I lived there for 10 years and I'm still fond of the area. If you need any more in-depth info then just ask :)

Altrincham in South Manchester is pretty nice, town in a city sort of thing. Might be a bit far away for you though.

As Dave said, Barnsley is a shit hole, only thing it has going for it is that its near Sheffield and thats not really that much of a good thing.

Glossop itself is a beautiful place but if you like city living then you might find it just a little bit too countrified for your taste, although it does have a canny mixture of country pubs, bars and restaurants. I lived in Ashton-under-Lyne and Stalybridge which are less than 10 miles from Glossop but also keep you within 6 miles of Manchester city centre in the other direction, so I could be in the city or the countryside in 15 minutes either way. Maybe have a look around any of the Tameside (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tameside) towns to see whether you'd fancy being round there. It has it's good and bad areas, like anywhere, but I lived there for 10 years and I'm still fond of the area. If you need any more in-depth info then just ask :)

Was looking at Stalybridge - seems relatively reasonable price wise for houses. Bit worried about some of the things I've seen written, but know from past experience that people only tend to write about the bad things anyway. Going up next week to have a look around - will definitely have a gander at the whole Tameside area.

Not fussed on being in the city, live in a country village at the mo and love it.

Was looking at Stalybridge - seems relatively reasonable price wise for houses. Bit worried about some of the things I've seen written, but know from past experience that people only tend to write about the bad things anyway. Going up next week to have a look around - will definitely have a gander at the whole Tameside area.

Not fussed on being in the city, live in a country village at the mo and love it.

Stalybridge has had a massive amount invested in it over the last 10 years and is bordering on vibrant these days! Seriously though, if I was to move back then of all the Tameside towns I'd go back to Stalybridge. I'd tend to avoid Audenshaw, Denton and Droylsden but the others are all worth a look.

We have an office in Altrincham, once drove there and aye, didn't look bad.

Canny place but on the high side price-wise as it's bordering on footballers wives country.

Aye looks that way, still nice though. Sale didn't look to bad either but never really had a proper look about there.

Glossop is quite nice if a little quiet for my liking, spent a fair amount of time there, it's in Derbyshire but as you said right on the border with Greater Manchester. Not many decent shops but it has a few pubs. You are almost in the Peak District so if you like the countryside and outdoors that is a bonus.

Trains to and from Manchester are every 15 minutes or so and it takes about 40 minutes, it's got massive traffic problems with the A57 linking Manchester and Sheffield.

Moston anyone?

I'm assuming its not as nice as Tameside as house prices are a bit lower......

moston, fuck that!!!!! its hell!

glossop os a lovely place, as some have said, quiet, but lovely all the same.

altrincham is also a very nice area, as is sale.