I know, I know, its a kneejerk reaction, but...

Guest Brazilianbob

Guest Brazilianbob

It is by no means confirmed that we were ever interested in Aimar, and I previously posted that I didn't think he would have any more impact at NUFC than Emre.

I also acknowledge that there are still 6 weeks of the transfer window to go, but it seems perfectly clear to me that we are not going to splash the cash at all this summer.  I really think Keegan has a limited budget of around £20m, and that is only because the club has saved that in wages and transfer fees from the players who have left/leaving ie Rozenhal, Emre, Ramage, Diatta, etc etc.

We have spent £2m on Guthrie, and signed Jonas Gutierrez for nothing if reports are to be believed.

I know you will say but we bid something like £19m for Modric, but we didn't get him did we, and whilst there are all sorts of rumours flying around that we offered better wages and agreed the transfer fee, the fact remains we still didn't sign him.  I don't believe he would sign for Spurs over us just because they are in Europe, because our record of consistently qualifying for Europe over the past decade speaks for itself and blows Spurs record right out of the water.  We have been in Europe consistently up till last season, so if Modric was looking for European football he was being very short sighted thinking he was going to get that at Spurs on a more consistent basis than NUFC.

Was it a PR stunt to get the season tickets shifting?  Was the Aimar transfer also a PR stunt?We will probably never really know, but I have my own views on those failed transfers.

What I can see is us bringing in panic signings ala Sibierski and loan signing Rossi in the last week of the transfer window if things don't pick up in the next week or so.

What Ashley and his minnions don't seem to understand is that sometimes you really do have to speculate to succeed in the EPL, especially when you don't have a proven track record of winning trophies.  We might get lucky with playing the youngsters we have signed/may yet sign, but somehow I doubt it!

What exactly would be the aim of an Aimar PR stunt then? The way I read it is that most people are pissed off, and everyone sent their ST renewal off weeks ago anyway. Pretty shit idea iyam...

Guest neesy111

we didn't make a bid ffs, we we're used to get him better wages at benfica, he even said now that he always wanted to join benfica end of

Modric will have gone to Spurs at least partly because if he wants to hang around with other young Croatians, there's plenty of them around. Newcastle, I imagine, doesn't have much of a Croatian population.

That's a gross simplification, but he's opted to live in one of the three or four most exciting cities in the world. For a young man with shit loads of money, that's a pretty big pull.

Incidentally, pretty much nobody (except Spurs and at a push Portsmouth) has spent real money so far this season, it has been very slow.

I think what will happen is a few big transfers will happen (Barry, Bentley, Ronaldo, Berbatov) and that will unlock a bigger wave of transfer moves. Things will get going soon enough.

The fans know we need to buy players, the players know we need to buy players:

We're pretty depleted. We've lost four or five players and the dressing-room is pretty sparse. There are a lot of empty spaces, so it would be nice to see those filled up. We've still got a few weeks to do that, so hopefully a few new faces will give everyone a lift.

Of course we want to see new arrivals. We were maybe two or three short last year, given the injuries we had, and we've lost three or four since then. We've brought in an Argentinean international, who will hopefully excite the fans and do a good job for us. I'm sure the manager and the people upstairs are working hard behind the scenes to bring in the people we need because new faces would give everyone, players and fans alike, a big lift.

Yet the club don't know we need to buy players. Strange that; I might send them a strongly-worded email.

can't say it bob, not allowed, everythings fine...next seasons gonna be mint

On the other hand, we should have already bought Arshavin, Modric wanted to sign but we didn't stump up the money, we fucked up with Aimar and forced him to go to Benfica etc etc.

It's not perfect so far I know, but it's not a disaster.

It's clear that for modern young players on shed loads of $$$$$$ they are more interested in WHERE they live rather than sucess

Spain & Italy will always trump England, ENgland trumps Scotland

London beats Manchester & Newcastle and they beat Birmingham & Glasgow

we didn't make a bid ffs, we we're used to get him better wages at benfica, he even said now that he always wanted to join benfica end of

Or perhaps Benfica offered better wages, so he decided to go there. Then he announces that he always wanted to go to Benfica in order to endear himself to his new employers / fans.

So it's not "End of" at all really, is it?

It is by no means confirmed that we were ever interested in Aimar, and I previously posted that I didn't think he would have any more impact at NUFC than Emre.

I also acknowledge that there are still 6 weeks of the transfer window to go, but it seems perfectly clear to me that we are not going to splash the cash at all this summer.  I really think Keegan has a limited budget of around £20m, and that is only because the club has saved that in wages and transfer fees from the players who have left/leaving ie Rozenhal, Emre, Ramage, Diatta, etc etc.

We have spent £2m on Guthrie, and signed Jonas Gutierrez for nothing if reports are to be believed.

I know you will say but we bid something like £19m for Modric, but we didn't get him did we, and whilst there are all sorts of rumours flying around that we offered better wages and agreed the transfer fee, the fact remains we still didn't sign him.  I don't believe he would sign for Spurs over us just because they are in Europe, because our record of consistently qualifying for Europe over the past decade speaks for itself and blows Spurs record right out of the water.  We have been in Europe consistently up till last season, so if Modric was looking for European football he was being very short sighted thinking he was going to get that at Spurs on a more consistent basis than NUFC.

Was it a PR stunt to get the season tickets shifting?  Was the Aimar transfer also a PR stunt?We will probably never really know, but I have my own views on those failed transfers.

What I can see is us bringing in panic signings ala Sibierski and loan signing Rossi in the last week of the transfer window if things don't pick up in the next week or so.

What Ashley and his minnions don't seem to understand is that sometimes you really do have to speculate to succeed in the EPL, especially when you don't have a proven track record of winning trophies.  We might get lucky with playing the youngsters we have signed/may yet sign, but somehow I doubt it!

Your post would hit home if the date was August 17th or something. In all fairness the thread title is your disclaimer, but I still think sections of our support are in a panic due to the club keeping schtum about transfers. IMO it's bittersweet, as it frustrates us fans not hearing a peep come out of even Keegan, but at the same time, it's giving me personally great satisfaction to see that we're not going around tooting our own horn (as that unspeakable abhorrent shower of shit*lot down south do).

Give it time, and bear with it. There's a lot going on behind the scenes, I'm sure we all know that. For the first time in a long time there is a feeling of hope, even if it's only down to the fact that it's a relatively new board, and we haven't got a clue what it's up to yet.

Guest Brazilianbob

Your post would hit home if the date was August 17th or something. In all fairness the thread title is your disclaimer, but I still think sections of our support are in a panic due to the club keeping schtum about transfers. IMO it's bittersweet, as it frustrates us fans not hearing a peep come out of even Keegan, but at the same time, it's giving me personally great satisfaction to see that we're not going around tooting our own horn (as that unspeakable abhorrent shower of s****lot down south do).

Give it time, and bear with it. There's a lot going on behind the scenes, I'm sure we all know that. For the first time in a long time there is a feeling of hope, even if it's only down to the fact that it's a relatively new board, and we haven't got a clue what it's up to yet.

I just hope the board are not on a learning curve that ends with us missing out on the quality and quantity that we need.

Guest neesy111

Or perhaps Benfica offered better wages, so he decided to go there. Then he announces that he always wanted to go to Benfica in order to endear himself to his new employers / fans.

better wages my arse, the max wage in portugal is 30-40k and that is for the queresma's etc, he decided to go there to play in europe and because he old manager is there

we still haven't been named as the club, and the club hasn't came out to say they we're interested until that happens we didn't try and sign him

if we try fine, but it was always gonna be an up hill struggle unless we offered stupid amounts

Guest optimistic nit

said it before, reminds me of the Roeder pre-season

thats just stupid, this is nothing like the roeder pre season.

Guest neesy111

said it before, reminds me of the Roeder pre-season

thats just stupid, this is nothing like the roeder pre season.

well we've already signed as many players as he did before the last week of august

wait until 16th august, i'm sure we'll have the players that is required

better wages my arse, the max wage in portugal is 30-40k and that is for the queresma's etc, he decided to go there to play in europe and because he old manager is there

we still haven't been named as the club, and the club hasn't came out to say they we're interested until that happens we didn't try and sign him

if we try fine, but it was always gonna be an up hill struggle unless we offered stupid amounts

Haha, head in the sand - proper "ostrich mentality". Love it.

Why would we come out and say it was us? What do we possibly have to gain from that?  We've been named by every news source going, in this country and abroad. There's no guarantees, but it's fairly likely it was us.

And when I said "Better wages", I apologise. Maybe they DID offer better wages, but I should have said "Better package", which encompasses everything from European football to better wages to nicer weather. The point still stands though that him saying he always wanted to go to Benfica is not worth a thing. He's bound to say that once he's agreed to join his new club.

I dont think we are as attractive to players as many on here seem to think, had a pretty average few seasons, we aint paying the wages we used to and we aint a London club. World-class staduim willl only get us so far. To be honest i am more pleased with the Guthrie signing than i would have been with Aimar, sick of seeing players come here for the cash and spend 3 seasons doing nothing. Guthrie may not be the talent Aimar is, but i think we will get more for our money long-term.

Modric's club announced we'd made the bid, Chris Mort said we'd made the bid, Kevin Keegan said we'd made the bid... I suppose they were all lying?, its a massive conspiracy? :idiot2:  Come out of your negative fantasy world and accept that money is there if we feel the right player is available.

It's clear that for modern young players on shed loads of $$$$$$ they are more interested in WHERE they live rather than sucess

Sadly that's true, and who can blame them? If I wasn't a toon fan, and I was earning a fortune a week, I'd be off to Milan/Madrid/London in a shot.

All we can do is gradually build ourselves back up to a side that will attract players for what we achieve on the pitch. That can take time, but it's more than possible. I bet Tevez and Ronaldo wouldn't be in Manchester if they weren't such a massive success - achievement can overcome geography, but it doesn't happen overnight.

We were almost there but we fucked it up, so we need to face that fact and rebuild.

Sadly that's true, and who can blame them? If I wasn't a toon fan, and I was earning a fortune a week, I'd be off to Milan/Madrid/London in a shot.

All we can do is gradually build ourselves back up to a side that will attract players for what we achieve on the pitch. That can take time, but it's more than possible. I bet Tevez and Ronaldo wouldn't be in Manchester if they weren't such a massive success - achievement can overcome geography, but it doesn't happen overnight.

We were almost there but we f***ed it up, so we need to face that fact and rebuild.

so they DO exist!!!! thank fuck for that!

We were almost there but we f***ed it up, so we need to face that fact and rebuild.

so they DO exist!!!! thank fuck for that!

Who do?

so they DO exist!!!! thank f*** for that!

Who do?

people who talk sense, like your good self sire  :pow: