A New Rob Lee

Guest DazzaNufc1892

Guest DazzaNufc1892

I was discussing with my friend earlier what i thought was needed to make newcastle a big team again, and my answer was "a rob lee and a gary speed". So we got to thinking who today, we could imagine becoming a player of that ilk within our midfield, scarily i came up with one answer, Scott Parker, he was the only player in this whole league who under keegan, i could see going to that level, i was wondering who here everybody thought could step up to that role, or, if you'd ever want scotty back

Aye thats a good call Dazza. I was gutted when Parker left for the Spammers, he was a very honest and hard-working player. He was always going to struggle when he had Glenn Roeder as manager, Nicky Butt as his CM partner and carrying a captaincy he wasnt able for.

We never replaced Gary Speed. Sadly the clubs idea of his replacement was Lee Bowyer. We never replaced Rob Lee properly as well.

But yeah, under KK I think he would be a quality player. Especially with the right midfield partnership. Cant ever see him coming back though.

Guest stjamestoon

Gary speed really was a class player...we became weaker as soon as he left.. used to bang away 15 goals every season consistently...brilliant!

Aye thats a good call Dazza. I was gutted when Parker left for the Spammers, he was a very honest and hard-working player. He was always going to struggle when he had Glenn Roeder as manager, Nicky Butt as his CM partner and carrying a captaincy he wasnt able for.

We never replaced Gary Speed. Sadly the clubs idea of his replacement was Lee Bowyer. We never replaced Rob Lee properly as well.

But yeah, under KK I think he would be a quality player. Especially with the right midfield partnership. Cant ever see him coming back though.

Problem though is that Parker is horribly limited in possession. Can't pick a pass to save his life and has an appalling first touch. Comparing him to Rob Lee is absolutely absurd in the extreme.

At best he could have been a decent holding midfielder, very good energy about him and well able to tackle and close people down. Lacks a good enough reading of the game to ever be top class in that position, but he good have been pretty decent.

Unfortunately either he or Roeder got it into their heads that he could be our box-to-box, driving force playmaker in midfield, which is a truly laughable concept, given his aforementioned fucking uselessness going forward.

Problem though is that Parker is horribly limited in possession. Can't pick a pass to save his life and has an appalling first touch. Comparing him to Rob Lee is absolutely absurd in the extreme.

At best he could have been a decent holding midfielder, very good energy about him and well able to tackle and close people down. Lacks a good enough reading of the game to ever be top class in that position, but he good have been pretty decent.

Unfortunately either he or Roeder got it into their heads that he could be our box-to-box, driving force playmaker in midfield, which is a truly laughable concept, given his aforementioned f***ing uselessness going forward.

Fair enough, fair enough. Your right mate about Scotty being very limited in possession. I remember when he used to pick the ball up in and around the halfway, and it was a chance to break away or spray it to the wings, he always used to turn around and look for a 5-10 yard pass behind him. That was incredibly frustrating. He had a bad habit of killing  our momentum at times.

He had one hell of a long range shot on him though. That goal he scored for us against Charlton was a feckin bullet.

I actually thought he read the game well enough for us though. He was always very good at breaking up player for us. Big shame him and Emre never got enough games together imo.

But yeah, your post sums him up pretty well, Shak.

I've always been very suprised at how much stick Parker got from us. His first season was probably the only real positive under Souness in that he was absolutely immense and player of the season by a mile imo. I'll always remember that performance he stuck in against Arsenal where he had to be dragged off after literally running himself into the ground.

If Roeder had used him in the same way he was used in his first season he might be still here now.

I've always been very suprised at how much stick Parker got from us. His first season was probably the only real positive under Souness in that he was absolutely immense and player of the season by a mile imo. I'll always remember that performance he stuck in against Arsenal where he had to be dragged off after literally running himself into the ground.

If Roeder had used him in the same way he was used in his first season he might be still here now.

Agreed, I remember that very well also. Parker was Unbelievable. A real battler. And by the final whistle he was probably only half conscious! :laugh:

Gary speed really was a class player...we became weaker as soon as he left.. used to bang away 15 goals every season consistently...brilliant!

Well 5 or 6 goals a season, but yeah, superb player who we haven't replaced.

Was parker not the same box to box player at charlton that we are saying he could never be? between injuries, bewildering tactics, roles and completely shot confidence i dont think the scott parker we saw past souness was the same, like the majority of players that walk into this club, scott parker walked out a ruined player.

parker --- never going to forget his tackle on joe cole, he almost got a legend status for me with that one...

Parker --- the master of winning back the ball after he'd given it away in the first place.

but still, he sendt cole flying, im happy enough with that

parker --- never going to forget his tackle on joe cole, he almost got a legend status for me with that one...

Parker --- the master of winning back the ball after he'd given it away in the first place.

Highlight of his time here :(

his performance at home V arsenal and his goal at charlton....still not much to show for his time here. i was expecting a lot more from him and was quite happy when he signed.

his performance at home V arsenal and his goal at charlton....still not much to show for his time here. i was expecting a lot more from him and was quite happy when he signed.

Yep, quite happy when he signed, but just as happy when he left.

His goal at Watford in the cup was a highlight for me.