James Milner keen to negotiate better Newcastle deal (Other Contracts too)

Stu

Disclaimer: I've searched for Milner but nothing has come up - please merge if this is already posted.

In the middle of a summer during which he has again been linked with a move away from St James' Park, James Milner is angling for an improved contract with Newcastle United. The England Under-21 winger agreed an enhanced four-year deal 12 months ago but is seeking what he regards as his market worth.

As has become traditional during transfer windows, Milner has been courted assiduously, by Aston Villa, where he spent a successful season on loan in 2005-06, and has been monitored by Liverpool. Despite the arrival from Mallorca of Jonás Gutiérrez, a rival for Milner's position, Newcastle have made it clear that they do not want to sell the 22-year-old.

Milner is keen to continue his footballing education under Kevin Keegan, the manager, but he believes that he deserves a pay rise. Within the past year, players such as Alan Smith, Joey Barton and Claudio Caçapa have arrived at Newcastle on high wages and offered questionable value for money, while Milner, who is not among the biggest earners, is a hardworking, talented and popular member of the squad.

At a time when wage restraint is a theme on Tyneside, Milner's timing can be regarded as imperfect. His agent first made contact with club officials several weeks ago, but no meetings have been scheduled. Milner does, however, fit the player profile that the club are keen to nurture: young, hungry and eager to improve.

Newcastle could argue that they have more pressing contractual matters to attend to, with Michael Owen, the striker, and Steve Harper, the goalkeeper, about to enter the final season of their respective deals.

In the case of Owen, player and club have reiterated their eagerness to reach a successful outcome and the striker's advisers have informed Newcastle of their ballpark requirements. More talks are scheduled to take place before the start of the new campaign.

Isn't Milner represented by the PFA? Can't see this being a 'money-grabbing' exercise as he doesn't come across as that type of player but I can empathise with his frustration at seeing the likes of Smith and Cacapa earning double his wages for considerably less output.

I can't see Cacapa earning twice as much as Milner if I'm being honest.

40k a week for a free-transfer, 6-time French league winner? Stranger things have happened

Guest DazzaNufc1892

yeah milners agent is Nick Maguire i think, had the honour of meeting him when i applied there for my sprts agents job, and the PFA's agent work on a non profit ratio, so they will only be pushing for whats in Milner's best interests, the lad deserves more anyway if you have shitters like smith on more imo

Agreed. Although I can see the likes of Duff and Smith earning twice as much.

I hope we can get Jimmys contract sorted out soon, along with Harpers and Owens. Nothing worse than key players contracts dragging on.  :dave:

yeah milners agent is Nick Maguire i think, had the honour of meeting him when i applied there for my sprts agents job, and the PFA's agent work on a non profit ratio, so they will only be pushing for whats in Milner's best interests, the lad deserves more anyway if you have shitters like smith on more imo

It's not that Milner deserves more it's the likes of Smith, etc. deserve less.

Aye, maybe if he wasn't shite he'd have half a case.

That said, I'd much rather give him that kind of money than guys like Smith and Duff, wasters.

He's on a fantastic wage for a fella his age, with still upwards of 10 years left in his career. He should just get on with it and actually earn a new deal, as I'm not sure what he's done in the last year to deserve a raise.

That said, I'd much rather give him that kind of money than guys like Smith and Duff, wasters.

He's on a fantastic wage for a fella his age, with still upwards of 10 years left in his career. He should just get on with it and actually earn a new deal, as I'm not sure what he's done in the last year to deserve a raise.

:laugh:

:lol:

Happy to sign a new contract 12 months ago, but now he wants more.  I like Milner, but he can fuck off.

I can't wait until some club makes a player see out the remaining 3 or 4 years of his contract rather than give him a pay rise or sell them, just as a matter of principle.

GeJon is raging at this thread like.

I'm fully expecting him to come running up to my window wearing nothing but a pair of white sneakers, armed with a chainsaw, any minute now.

Jerry's brother? Doesn't know shit about British Football... :-)

Happy to sign a new contract 12 months ago, but now he wants more.  I like Milner, but he can f*** off.

I can't wait until some club makes a player see out the remaining 3 or 4 years of his contract rather than give him a pay rise or sell them, just as a matter of principle.

You'll be waiting a long time seeing as how any player can now leave after 3 years regardless.

As "Websters" become more commonplace I think we can expect to see most player contracts (who we want to keep) being renegotiated every other year as a minimum.

Agreed. Although I can see the likes of Duff and Smith earning twice as much.

I hope we can get Jimmys contract sorted out soon, along with Harpers and Owens. Nothing worse than key players contracts dragging on.  :dave:

So milner wants us to be quick?.... i think he knows he's taking the piss

It's not that Milner deserves more it's the likes of Smith, etc. deserve less.

I totally agree. Although once you pay someone like Smith that kind of wage better players will demand higher and it will go on and on...

It's insane that young players are earning this. Hell, I earn £50 a week! I'm at uni though, but still.