Guest neesy111

Overall the long term strategy, of reducing wages will ultimely lead to

more money to spend on players or we pay less for season

that can only be a good thing can it??

Guest neesy111

I hope NE5 goes straight to bed when he gets in from the pub tonight.

NE5 should try to consider other people's idea's, not just his

lolz 'cos that's gonna happen.

Since he's not here, I'll try to defend him, firstly if you think you'll start paying less for your season ticket cos we are only paying Owen 80k as oppossed to 100k. You are living in cloud cuckoo land. Each year the club will try to increase their match day revenue, they are a business after all, they'll continue to squeeze every penny they can out of us (well not me anymore since I live in Canada now). Your season ticket will only go down if you buy in bulk or we get relegated.

If we look to cost cut and fail to invest in the playing staff then yes we will have more money to spend on transfers but you'll also be either in a divsion lower or at best in the lower league that exists within the PL. You'll find it hard to attract any players from that postion.

NE5 bangs on about speculating to accumulate and despite the other crap he talks about the old board, I completely agree with him here. Unless you get extremely lucky doing things on the cheap and reducing costs will get us nowhere and may even have the reverse effect to what you were trying to achieve.

Overall the long term strategy, of reducing wages will ultimely lead to...

Stagnation, relegation.

It's not about paying massive wages or penny pinching- it's about VALUE. We absolutely must get that balance right. We've clearly got it wrong in the past, but there's a danger we could go too far the other way.

NE5 knows best, and NE5 says that following this policy [ie competing at the level of the mediocre clubs] will lead us to be further behind the top clubs.

Stagnation, relegation.

It's not about paying massive wages or penny pinching- it's about VALUE. We absolutely must get that balance right. We've clearly got it wrong in the past, but there's a danger we could go too far the other way.

Agreed, although value is dependent on the judgement of the manager when he assesse players, not a sodding stupid consortium who can't persuade players to join the club that the manager would like.

Guest elbee909

Agreed, although value is dependent on the judgement of the manager when he assesse players

:lol:

Bollocks. By that "logic", Marcelino, Luque, Boumsong, Viana, Duff and Smith were all good value.

And Tino, heh.

Stagnation, relegation.

Agreed, although value is dependent on the judgement of the manager when he assesse players, not a sodding stupid consortium who can't persuade players to join the club that the manager would like.

err NE5 would you care to have a look at the squad robson inherited(1999-2000) and the squad he played for the next season(2000-2001) ? no massive signings etc we built in technique,tactics and teamwork then a full season later, added the,at the time of signing,derided,bellamy ,and robert. the ground work on the pitch had been done....ambition hadn't been ignored through your hero not spending on superstars or were you complaining like an old lady in a wet bus queue then aswell ?

We need a long-term strategy simply because there is no way in the world we can sign any established top-class players right now unless we throw a lot of money at them, and if money is their motivation, there are manifold reasons to be wary. We can't offer UEFA Cup, let alone Champion's League, and, to be fair, we are firmly firmly entrenched in mid-table mediocrity.

If Keegan can change the above over the course of the upcoming season, then next summer will be a thousand times more gratifying. Long-term doesn't mean never spending money; it just means a steady progression. What else can we do? Look at what happened with Luque, who came only because he was given ludicrous money.

the long term strategy is to get in a manager to get the team playing football,to get the players playing to their potential,consistently. in my time only keegan and robson have done this for any length of time (harvey didn't manage the consistency bit).then build on that.

still not 100% convinced on keegans desire but he will get them playing football and i agree with NE5 nd others that keegan should be made MAXIMUM use of in persuading players to come here.

I myself belive there is only one way to go, and that is to scare of all the "gold diggers" out there, and the way they are doing it now is the soloution.

Players come to negotiate, they demand too much wages, we reject and the transfer targets/agents go somewhere else, but in between all those cockrockers you will always get pure quality, and players that really wants to come and play fotball.

Newcastle has spent so many years convincing players that they can come for crazy wage demands and get away with it, with the new system we wont get the "big" players (as if many of those we have used crazy transfer fonds for were quality like), but we will get players that want to wear the Newcastle shirt with pride and honour.

It will take time but god bless the board for trying to get things on track, and a positive track that is.

you wil not get good enough players who just want to play for NUFC for the glory of it without paying the going rate......the next few weeks will find out if we are being cheap.

Guest MaetihS

i think pple need to get this right....you pay for what you get. Those who say that they want players who want to play for us and not those that are after money. we need to be realistic, we do not have a history like the Man Us and Pools, clubs that most players dream of playing for; those who will want to play for us by being paid less than the going rate are more likely the ones from the lower leagues who will most likely get a decent pay rise anyway and chances of them are they are not of good quality. even if the lower league players are good, we still need to face compeition such as the Bale signing. You honestly think he will take a lower wage to play for us than a bigger one at Spurs. 

This is not a dig at our pulling power which i have always done :) but its the fact of life. Players' career are relatively short and most will want to make a comfortable pile before retirement. Besides, any serious injury may end their career. Even the real madrids need to attract top players with good money. Fact of life, i really want to work for one big US IB(did that 10 years ago) but after 3+ years, i left my dream job for a higher paid job at a hedge fund. Same and as like most jobs, you do not always get value for money and i am sure most fund managers like me will admit we are the most overpaid buggers around and not really value for money for the amount of work we do even though our actions control the P&L of funds. see....with this kind of stock markets around the globe, i am actually writing this pile of crap and planning to go back to my hotel after this (only 2.15pm in Singapore) while many others are still working. Got a flight to catch tomorrow night back to France and then off for a long 3week break....am i overpaid? yes definitely. so do not expect the owens or higher quality targets demanding lesser pays...value for money maybe, but who does not want to be overpaid even for the club you love to play for? Try asking Shearer to be paid 30-50k per wk then?

It will take time but god bless the board for trying to get things on track, and a positive track that is.

You sir, are correct - 100%.

It won't always be easy, exciting or fun, but MA and the "board" have our best interests in mind and are trying to make things happen for the right reasons.

there's a level of player we need & have to be aiming at right now to make this "long term strategy" successful both in the long term and NOW

seems that people see the two as mutually exclusive, to have the LTS we have to endure 3-5 years of dogshit and buying reserve players from liverpool etc...

for me the type of player we need to target this summer are the sagnas & muntaris of this world - players who've appeared on the radar but crucially play for clubs we can sign players from (auxerre/udinese) and who won't consider themselves above us....i know sagna went to arsenal but when he signed for them if it had been us who bid the 7m with no other challengers i reckon he'd have come at that time

there must be plenty of players of this level around european football, and i honestly assumed this was the type of player we'd be aiming for...the boy arda was another example of that but it seems gala have priced him out perhaps?  although that's all speculation of course

that's what i think about it anyhow, can't see how anyone could realistically expect us to blow 17m on bentley or something this summer 'cause he wouldn't come first and foremost (see above) and because it wouldn't be a sensible use of our resources given our squad size and depth

if we continue filling the squad up with frees and 1m reserve players we'll get what we deserve imo

there's a level of player we need & have to be aiming at right now to make this "long term strategy" successful both in the long term and NOW

seems that people see the two as mutually exclusive, to have the LTS we have to endure 3-5 years of dogshit and buying reserve players from liverpool etc...

for me the type of player we need to target this summer are the sagnas & muntaris of this world - players who've appeared on the radar but crucially play for clubs we can sign players from (auxerre/udinese) and who won't consider themselves above us....i know sagna went to arsenal but when he signed for them if it had been us who bid the 7m with no other challengers i reckon he'd have come at that time

there must be plenty of players of this level around european football, and i honestly assumed this was the type of player we'd be aiming for...the boy arda was another example of that but it seems gala have priced him out perhaps?  although that's all speculation of course

that's what i think about it anyhow, can't see how anyone could realistically expect us to blow 17m on bentley or something this summer 'cause he wouldn't come first and foremost (see above) and because it wouldn't be a sensible use of our resources given our squad size and depth

if we continue filling the squad up with frees and 1m reserve players we'll get what we deserve imo

It's a scattershot & risky strategy.

The apparent long term strategy of buying young, cheap, players will only work if we have a strong enough first 11 in the first place to allow these young players to develop & ease their way into the team.

At the moment our first 11 is comfortably bottom half material. Whether he likes it or not we need to need 3 established players in & perhaps pay ott wages to get them. We need to show ambition & that we are serious about long term progress. Let's face it no top player is going to come for the love of the club, the city or the weather. In years gone by we got Beardsley & Shearer, talismen, to come home. We can't draw on that this time.

ive also mentioned Muntari as the type of player we should be buying - a sizeable fee for a promising/developing player who the big clubs (man utd and juve in his case) are looking at but who haven't yet taken the plunge and signed. Berbatov is another example before he signed for Spurs and the likes of Turan, Pjanic, Cuellar, Montolivo, Zapata, Menez, Inler, Veloso, Romaric are examples knocking around this window. i'm thinking of players that will cost £5m-£15m, a calibre of two underneath the likes of VDV, Benzema or Diego as they will move on to big clubs and only stay put because they cost so much and because there's so few clubs who could buy these talents. though that's not to say if an experienced player comes along who would improve us, like Dunne or Fringes, that we shouldn't buy them.

looking at even younger players that the likes of Vetere and Wise are supposedly tracking, it seems we haven't signed many of these, only Spear and even this isn't confirmed. even spurs have brought in 3 16 year olds like Bostock.

not sure how the Modric bid fits into our overall transfer activity. it's ok saying we bid for him but for whatever reason we didn't land him. let's face it we can't offer players like that a great deal so we have to go into overdrive when it comes to attracting them here, rolling out keegan, private jet, 24/7 state of alert preparing to fly out anywhere, even if it means offering a bit extra money. i'd rather pay too much for a good team than pay the right amount for an average side. for anyone who disagrees, i'm sure hope the satisfaction of saving a few million over the course of a season compensates for poorer performances on the pitch.

the modric bid does suggest we'll make one biggish signing (if we can actually close the deal) but i reckon the rest will be more along the lines of Larsson, Jonas or Guthrie ie £1m-£5m bracket and perhaps not players who you'd assume would walk into our side. not terrible buys by any means but these are the kind of transfers i'd expect a team like Middlesbrough to make, Emnes or Digard for instance.

Portsmouth are a decent example. Even when their money mona came in they didn't exactly throw around their money like nobodies buiness. The built a squad with the type of player that would improve on what they got. Now they are taking in big money Internationals. Okay Defoe and Crouch are not World Class but they are very good players and maybe they can take them up another level. Which in turn may allow Portsmouth to bring in even better players.

At the moment our two signings don't really take us forward. I cannot comment on Spidey as all I have seen is 1 you tube  clip, there is no guarentee he is better than Milner, and Guthrie is not an improvement on our current midfielders at the moment. So I can see why people are getting really frustrated. For this current policy to work we do need players that can go into our 1st team and improve it. I am sure there are players out there who can do that and won't break the bank either. I don't mind if they are unfashionable signings as long as they improve our squad.

ive also mentioned Muntari as the type of player we should be buying - a sizeable fee for a promising/developing player who the big clubs (man utd and juve in his case) are looking at but who haven't yet taken the plunge and signed. Berbatov is another example before he signed for Spurs and the likes of Turan, Pjanic, Cuellar, Montolivo, Zapata, Menez, Inler, Veloso, Romaric are examples knocking around this window. i'm thinking of players that will cost £5m-£15m, a calibre of two underneath the likes of VDV, Benzema or Diego as they will move on to big clubs and only stay put because they cost so much and because there's so few clubs who could buy these talents. though that's not to say if an experienced player comes along who would improve us, like Dunne or Fringes, that we shouldn't buy them.

looking at even younger players that the likes of Vetere and Wise are supposedly tracking, it seems we haven't signed many of these, only Spear and even this isn't confirmed. even spurs have brought in 3 16 year olds like Bostock.

not sure how the Modric bid fits into our overall transfer activity. it's ok saying we bid for him but for whatever reason we didn't land him. let's face it we can't offer players like that a great deal so we have to go into overdrive when it comes to attracting them here, rolling out keegan, private jet, 24/7 state of alert preparing to fly out anywhere, even if it means offering a bit extra money. i'd rather pay too much for a good team than pay the right amount for an average side. for anyone who disagrees, i'm sure hope the satisfaction of saving a few million over the course of a season compensates for poorer performances on the pitch.

the modric bid does suggest we'll make one biggish signing (if we can actually close the deal) but i reckon the rest will be more along the lines of Larsson, Jonas or Guthrie ie £1m-£5m bracket and perhaps not players who you'd assume would walk into our side. not terrible buys by any means but these are the kind of transfers i'd expect a team like Middlesbrough to make, Emnes or Digard for instance.

100% agree, especially about our first 2 signings being "middlesbrough-esque" ones, at the moment us signing spiderpig isn't a million miles away from them signing that turk last summer for 0 to me

100% agree, especially about our first 2 signings being "middlesbrough-esque" ones, at the moment us signing spiderpig isn't a million miles away from them signing that turk last summer for 0 to me

that's a good comparison, tuncay's a decent player (tho a bit clumsy) and i hope jonas will turn out ok too.

but there's a few separate ways of assessing a transfer - 1. is how good the player performs and - 2. how well the management team/chairman have performed or how it fits into an overall strategy.

i'm sure if keegan rates him that Jonas will do well here and it is good that we got him so cheaply, but it is a bit concerning how it fits into a pattern of spending very little. since the end of last season we've spent a miniscule amount whereas a shite side like sunderland have spent £35m (this could go up hugely if the rumoured spurs bid develops).

considering the billionaire owner, the net spend of just about zero last summer and the increased TV income, we should be going out and spending £50m if keegan wants to, but i can't see it.