Keegan videos on official site

Dave

Can we keep the stuff in here please so people without an account on there don't have to trawl the other threads to see his comments. Cheers.

So far I have:

Video 1

Keegan speaks.

Not going to buy for the sake of it.

Doesn't want to have to pick a team and find it difficult to choose between two players who are pretty much the same in terms of style and ability.

Is looking for added spark to ignite the players he's got, rather than overhauling the team.

Doesn't want anyone still here to leave.

Lots of press nonsense with 'insiders' and such like.

Given staying and in good shape, with Harper, Forster and Krul expected to put in a huge challenge. Is pleased with the goalkeepers here.

Video 2

If there was ever any doubt that this was a Keegan signing, just watch the new video up on World.

He couldn't be more complimentary and believes we have the "real deal" with Spiderman.

Keegan says on World interview that he's [Guthrie] a mixture of Rob Lee and Paul Bracewell, and linking player, superb passer of the ball, and he can see him over time learning to be a very good holding midfielder.

also basically said that we will be playing 4-4-2.

He's very impressed by both new signings (see Spidey thread for what he said about him).

He's focusing on fitness.

Will field a strong side against Hartlepool, and take 3 or 4 youngsters along.

He has never worked with anyone fitter than James Milner in his playing or managerial career.

Been very impressed with attitude and fitness levels of the players.

He generally just looks happy, which is a good sign.

Promising comments, about Guthrie in particular. I'm excited about Jonas but considering the slating Guthrie has had from some quarters that's high praise indeed from someone like Keegan.

good stuff

I hope we peak at just the right time in time for the new season. A strong start will be vital. I remember the start we had in our 2nd season back up. 3-1 away to leicester, 4-0 coventry, 5-0 southampton (iirc), etc... more of the same

What did he say about the formation then, anyone? Can't watch the vids on my current piss-poor connection.

Interesting stuff if it's true, obviously thinks he can get much more out of Owen as an out-and-out striker.

Good news about the 'Pool game. :indi:

Wish I'd read this thread before your 'Currently you are feeling...' thread, I would have picked a higher option than cautious.

I was optimistic but the pessimists were getting to me and dragging me down. :(

Read at least four seperate posters (probably many more) have decided Spidey is not good enough, if that's anything like a cross-section of match day fans he better skin a few players and set up a goal on his first home game or the twats will be booing him.

And agree re Guthrie comments, high praise indeed; and if anyone can lift him quickly to the next level Keegan can.

Interesting stuff about Guthrie. If he is seen as a holding midfielder then maybe he is the player who will eventually take over from Nicky Butt, maybe sooner rather than later if Keegan can get him going.

Wish I'd read this thread before your 'Currently you are feeling...' thread, I would have picked a higher option than cautious.

I was optimistic but the pessimists were getting to me and dragging me down. :(

Read at least four seperate posters (probably many more) have decided Spidey is not good enough, if that's anything like a cross-section of match day fans he better skin a few players and set up a goal on his first home game or the twats will be booing him.

And agree re Guthrie comments, high praise indeed; and if anyone can lift him quickly to the next level Keegan can.

I think Spidey will be good enough to cut it Guthrie has potential but is no world beater.

Think people are sick of all the links and the supposed collapses of deals even though there's been no official statement we have infact failed in our bids.

The only two that Keegan has spoken on missing out on are the Modric and Woodgate deals.

Yes we need a load more players but they must improve us. 

Most people were uplifted to hear that Aimar was a strong possibility and now it's over most people are on a downer

2 quality signings and we'll all be happy again

He didn't say anything really about formations. All he said was, with Jonas, we now have excellent competition for both wings. You can read into that what you will.

Uh oh ... Duff might be staying then.

Duff and Zoggy on the left.

Jonas and Milner on the right.

Duff better get his act together if this indeed the case.

Guest neesy111

He didn't say anything really about formations. All he said was, with Jonas, we now have excellent competition for both wings. You can read into that what you will.

so can we agree we need another 1-2 CM's now then?

so can we agree we need another 1-2 CM's now then?

I concur!

Couple of players in the Aimar mold but not that many around

It's pretty clear that the next major target is a quality playmaker, Modric, Turan and Aimar have all been linked strongly. This is the major breakthrough we need IMO, along with a mobile target man. Spiderman has filled the gap left by Dyer so credit to the club on moving that forward at least.

Guest neesy111

From Todays Journal:

KEVIN Keegan has made his first transfer mission statement of the summer, moving to reassure fans that there will be further signings and confirming that the club’s recruitment policy centres on bringing in players who will be long-term assets.

Aware that Newcastle’s squad has been heavily depleted since the end of last season, Keegan has emphasised the importance of bringing in more new faces before the start of the season – but he is adamant that will not see a deviation from the new transfer policy at St James’s Park.

So far Newcastle have signed Argentina winger Jonas Gutierrez, aged 25, and Liverpool midfielder Danny Guthrie, aged 21 – a clear indication that the focus is on recruiting players the ‘right side’ of 30.

Keegan believes progress is being made on that front, and in a further encouraging sign for supporters, the United manager has also insisted that he will not sell any of the club’s marquee names before the transfer window shuts at the end of August.

That should allay fears over the future of pivotal players like Obafemi Martins and Michael Owen, who have been the subject of speculation linking them with moves away from Tyneside for most of the summer.

It is the identity of the players Keegan will be bringing in, however, that will exercise the minds of supporters most before United kick off their Premier League campaign at Old Trafford on August 17.

“We not only will (add new faces), we have to,” Keegan told the club’s official website. “But what we’ve got to ensure is that we don’t get players in just for the sake of it. It’s easy to bring in players and they’re all the same, then you’re left trying to pick from a bunch of players and you say, ‘Well he’s as good as him’.

“But, of course, to get the players in that are going to spark the others off and add something to the team will always be a little bit more difficult.

“We’ll keep going on those fronts. We’ve tried for a few and not always been successful.

“We’ve also had a lot thrown at us which we don’t think are right for one reason or another, be it either wrong position or wrong age.

“And, while everyone at the club knows we’re not going to look a gift horse in the mouth with an older player coming in, we are trying to get, for all the right reasons, younger players who can stay at the club longer.”

The pressing need for reinforcements was emphasised by the club’s longest-serving player Steve Harper earlier this week, who admitted the dressing room felt “depleted” after the overhaul overseen by Keegan at the start of the summer.

But after the departures of Emre and David Rozehnal and a number of fringe first-team squad members, United are unlikely to lose any more players with first team potential this summer.

Striker Shola Ameobi is free to leave if any of his Championship suitors can meet United’s valuation, but others will only depart if Keegan sanctions it.

That should signal an end to reports linking James Milner with a summer exit – and also soothe fears over the futures of Owen, Martins and goalkeeper Shay Given.

“Like I’ve said, we’ve got a small squad so it’s no good getting one in to get one out, that just means you’ve maybe changed a position,” said Keegan.

“Obviously there will always be talk of players leaving because we’ve got some very good players here. But they will only leave here if we want them to, that’s for sure.

“We’re not looking to sell our top-class players, we want to add top-class players to play alongside them.”

Btw there's a third video coming, I assume it'll be live tomorrow.

You've quoted all three videos Dave.

The 442 implication is mainly down to Keegan saying that the thing that caught his eye with Gutierrez was his supply line from the wing for Guiza last season.

Said Shola and Smith up front (no lie) will love him.

The 442 implication is mainly down to Keegan saying that the thing that caught his eye with Gutierrez was his supply line from the wing for Guiza last season.

Is Spidey playing for the reserves next season then?

Is Spidey playing for the reserves next season then?

He said Owen and Viduka too, but I thought I'd ought to emphasise Keegan's implication that everybody's two favourite players will be here next season.

interesting about Guthrie. Bolton fans seemed to think he was positive, had a bit of pace and quite skilful, though a lot of his attempts to create were over-ambitious and usually failed. shows that there is a bit of talent in there waiting to be developed even if he's not ready to be first choice XI for the coming season. but as a holding player? a couple of bolton fans also said he couldnt tackle and was lightweight so i'm not sure he'd be that suited for the role.

God I was feeling happy until I read that!

interesting about Guthrie. Bolton fans seemed to think he was positive, had a bit of pace and quite skilful, though a lot of his attempts to create were over-ambitious and usually failed. shows that there is a bit of talent in there waiting to be developed even if he's not ready to be first choice XI for the coming season. but as a holding player? a couple of bolton fans also said he couldnt tackle and was lightweight so i'm not sure he'd be that suited for the role.

Maybe but I bet people said similar about an average right winger being our main cm (Rob Lee).  Guthire is pretty much a raw talent he can be moulded to some extent to play in several roles.

Maybe but I bet people said similar about an average right winger being our main cm (Rob Lee).  Guthire is pretty much a raw talent he can be moulded to some extent to play in several roles.

He's young and has an eye for a good pass

He could develop into a great box to box player for us if they can get the best out of him