Shingles

Big Geordie

Fellas - have got a bit of a problem, and I'm not sure if it's shingles or not. Was quite itchy all over last night (particularly my torso) and since then I've developed a bit of a rash on the back of my shoulder blade. At the moment, it ain't painful, but I'm still a bit itchy. I'm not allergic to anything, and I haven't eaten anything I shouldn't or used a different soap/washing powder. Did feel quite grotty yesterday.

Anyone of you's had shingles?

Not had it but this might help:

Shingles Symptoms

Depending on the nerves involved, shingles can affect many parts of the body.

* The first symptom of shingles is often extreme sensitivity or pain in a broad band on one side of the body. The sensation can be itching, tingling, burning, constant aching, or deep, shooting, or "lightning bolt" pain.

* Typically, 1-3 days after the pain starts, a rash with raised, red bumps and blisters erupts on the skin in the same distribution as the pain. They become pus-filled, then form scabs by 10-12 days.

* The rash disappears as the scabs fall off in the next 2-3 weeks, and scarring may result

from http://www.emedicinehealth.com/shingles/page3_em.htm

Probably best not to take medical advice from people on here.

Phone up NHS Direct - 0845 46 47 or

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=335&sectionId=10

:thup:

That is usually the best advice.

However, its not actually that bad an idea to check online for symptoms and stuff before going to see a Doc. Some policy makers think this sort of thing should be encouraged to stop unnecessary visits and i know Google are investing in the area.

However, its not actually that bad an idea to check online for symptoms and stuff before going to see a Doc. Some policy makers think this sort of thing should be encouraged to stop unnecessary visits and i know Google are investing in the area.

Don't actually admit you've done such a thing though, as they're subsequently inclined to have you down as a nutter.

Cheers lads. Have been on the phone, and the nurse wants me to go to the Walk In Centre pretty quickly. Not got any other symptoms as yet, but if I get them - have got to get my arse to hospital asap. The wife did the tumbler test, and it didn't go away. :o

Don't actually admit you've done such a thing though, as they're subsequently inclined to have you down as a nutter.

Doctors apparently hate it, as it challenges their authority. The thing is, if you see a generalist in primary care for something uncommon, 2 days of online research would probably mean you were better informed than the doc.

Cheers lads. Have been on the phone, and the nurse wants me to go to the Walk In Centre pretty quickly. Not got any other symptoms as yet, but if I get them - have got to get my arse to hospital asap. The wife did the tumbler test, and it didn't go away. :o

Meningitis?

Whatever it is, hope you get it sorted mate. :thup:

i was diagnosed with shingles when aged 28. told the doc i hadn't had chicken pox......."you probably did when you were very small but didn't come out with the spots..it's very regular"    fair enough i thought

2 years later i made a return visit to the same doc....."is this what i think it is ?"........"why yes you have chicken pox (yi spotty poxy t***)"......"could you search through your notes and see if a couple of years ago you diagnosed me as having shingles?"........"err.........yes.......don't really know what that must've been"

when originally diagnosed with shingles i rang up the soon to be Mrs M and told her "'the f*** have you been up to...that rash,been to the docs and it's eight letters, begins and ends with an 's' "