The Watchmen

Tooj

That looks immense. I hope it's good because Moore adaptations don't have a great record - V For Vendetta was good but LOEG was rubbish and so was From Hell. On one hand, Watchmen lends itself well to film because it's got really cool superheros in it, but on the other hand it doesn't because it's very deep and a typical action movie won't do it justice. The screenplay (written by Solid Snake, no less) will do well to capture the book.

Can't wait though. :D

Whats the books about have seen them but dont really know whats about

One book. It's about an alternate reality United States, dramatically different due to the help of a group of costumed "superheros" (only one actually has any powers) known as the Watchmen, who come out of retirement to investigate the murder of one of their former group. In a nutshell.

• 6 months later...

It's by Zach Snyder so I'm not holding my breath. The man's last film, 300, was an abomination to cinema and the medium it worked within -- the music video. However, I think there'd be pretty sharp criticism if he messes this one up, as a lot of people and fans of the book I've spoken to take it very, very seriously.

Also, I'm just reading the book right now and I can't for the life of me understand how they'll make the screenplay even remotely as layered, rich and deep as the book is.

Fingers crossed, I suppose.

It's by Zach Snyder so I'm not holding my breath. The man's last film, 300, was an abomination to cinema and the medium it worked within -- the music video. However, I think there'd be pretty sharp criticism if he messes this one up, as a lot of people and fans of the book I've spoken to take it very, very seriously.

Also, I'm just reading the book right now and I can't for the life of me understand how they'll make the screenplay even remotely as layered, rich and deep as the book is.

Supposed to be doing it pretty much shot for shot from what I've read.  Each cell in the comic/graphic novel is played out on screen, some cells being fleshed out more.  Effectively he's using the book as a storyboard for the film.

He has changed the ending though, if you've not finished the book yet I'll not give it away, but the film's rumoured ending might end up working better than the book's.

• 3 weeks later...

Supposed to be doing it pretty much shot for shot from what I've read.  Each cell in the comic/graphic novel is played out on screen, some cells being fleshed out more.  Effectively he's using the book as a storyboard for the film.

He has changed the ending though, if you've not finished the book yet I'll not give it away, but the film's rumoured ending might end up working better than the book's.

He has changed the ending?

WTF?

WTF?

Veidt builds a machine that imitates the powers of Dr. Manhattan — the only Watchmen character with actual superpowers — which sets off a string of atom-bomb-like explosions in a bunch of cities and, presumably, unites the world against Dr. Manhattan.

A load of people who have seen the preview screenings have said that the new ending works better than the giant exploding squid.[/sacrilege]

WTF?

Veidt builds a machine that imitates the powers of Dr. Manhattan — the only Watchmen character with actual superpowers — which sets off a string of atom-bomb-like explosions in a bunch of cities and, presumably, unites the world against Dr. Manhattan.

A load of people who have seen the preview screenings have said that the new ending works better than the giant exploding squid.[/sacrilege]

I just don't understand how that works better. The Squid made sense because it was so far beyond anything they could comprehend. Manhattan being the threat seems as if it would unite the world against America, despite whatever happened in NY.

Looks decent but how different is it to the likes of X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc? Can't be arsed with it if it's anything like that really.

Its nothing like that.

1. Its all about the story as opposed to comic art

Despite the slick and artful production of the film the original watchmen was ugly. Dave Gibbons can not draw - harsh but true. This comic was brilliant on story alone. Gibbons' art looks as if the comic was drawn in 1950 as opposed to 1986. The recent films like 300 and even the Dark Knight and Sin City are partly inspired by Frank Miller's minimalist yet amazing artwork. Nothing like that here.

2. Its more about the world than individual characters

The superheroes in the watchmen are actually made to be intentionally standard. There is nothing really remarkable about them individually. They are supposed to represent larger issues and its through them that the story is an examination of modern society. Alan Moore has a big chip on his shoulder and is very critical of the world. "V for Vendetta" had plenty of criticisms of Britain in the 80s and this comin he takes aim at the States in the 80s and the darker side of human nature as a whole.

3. Simple yet cohesive plot

Its not about superheroes getting back together to save the world (one more time) and leaving the door open for endless sequels. This is a simple story that has a begining, middle and end - the door closes. There will be no follow ups - its over.

Looks decent but how different is it to the likes of X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc? Can't be arsed with it if it's anything like that really.

Its nothing like that.

1. Its all about the story as opposed to comic art

Despite the slick and artful production of the film the original watchmen was ugly. Dave Gibbons can not draw - harsh but true. This comic was brilliant on story alone. Gibbons' art looks as if the comic was drawn in 1950 as opposed to 1986. The recent films like 300 and even the Dark Knight and Sin City are partly inspired by Frank Miller's minimalist yet amazing artwork. Nothing like that here.

2. Its more about the world than individual characters

The superheroes in the watchmen are actually made to be intentionally standard. There is nothing really remarkable about them individually. They are supposed to represent larger issues and its through them that the story is an examination of modern society. Alan Moore has a big chip on his shoulder and is very critical of the world. "V for Vendetta" had plenty of criticisms of Britain in the 80s and this comin he takes aim at the States in the 80s and the darker side of human nature as a whole.

3. Simple yet cohesive plot

Its not about superheroes getting back together to save the world (one more time) and leaving the door open for endless sequels. This is a simple story that has a begining, middle and end - the door closes. There will be no follow ups - its over.

Yep, pretty much so.

Great read TBH.

I read in total film that the guy playin ozy had signed up to a sequel which is fucking stupid as ....watchmen quite blatently ends (as you said). But you know hollywood...and how alan moore has now totally just said fuck you to everyone related to watchmen they might try and squeeze something out....

I read in total film that the guy playin ozy had signed up to a sequel which is fucking stupid as ....watchmen quite blatently ends (as you said). But you know hollywood...and how alan moore has now totally just said fuck you to everyone related to watchmen they might try and squeeze something out....

If you read the review by Wil Wheaton I posted above he writes about a Q/A session with Zack Snyder after the film screening.

Snyder was offered the film which at the time was planned, by the studio, to be a PG13 (12A in UK ratings) certificate film with enough details changed to allow for a sequel & possible franchise.  Snyder took the film on, even though he didn't think Watchmen could ever be turned into a film, to prevent the studio from going ahead with the film with some fuckwit like Uwe Boll, Joel Schumacher or Brett Ratner in charge.  Snyder was a fan of Watchmen and didn't want it to be turned into a complete mess of a film.

So yeah, Matthew Goode (the guy playing Ozymandias), may have been signed by the studio to star in a sequel but I don't believe that will be happening any more.