Coe keen for Ferguson to lead GB

Thespence

Lord Sebastian Coe has said he has spoken to Sir Alex Ferguson about him taking charge of a Great Britain football team at the London Olympics.

Coe, London 2012 Organising Committee chairman, said he had discussed the matter with the Manchester United boss.

"I would love to have him there because he is a phenomenal coach and a great man manager," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"Who else would you want to have that mentoring role with under 23 players for a build-up to the games?"

He added: "We have had a few conversations, but I stress that it is for the British Olympic Association and the Football Association to make that judgement and I leave it with them."

The inclusion of a Great Britain football team at the London Games has sparked a lot of controversy with the FA's of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland concerned it may compromise their individual status within Fifa.

President of football's world governing body, Sepp Blatter, has said it would be better for GB to enter a team featuring players from just England to avoid such a scenario.

But as it is the BOA who select teams for the Games, they have decided to press ahead with plans to include a football team despite the opposition.

And Coe believes Ferguson, who has said he will quit his post at Old Trafford within the next three years, would be the perfect candidate to lead the team.

During his time at United Ferguson has won 10 Premier League titles, five FA Cups, two League Cups, two Champions League titles, the European Cup Winners' Cup and the European Super Cup.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/7516128.stm

Does anyone care? The Olympics should be trimmed of football, tennis and the other sports where it is minor event compared to the world championships or equivilant, unlike say swimming and running where its the primary event.