Upgarding To Vista

Thespence

Hi, I hope you or another techy geek can help me.

The problem WE have, is my PC got a virus, I then borrowed someone else's Windows XP to get my machine back up & running, I used the same product key that had worked find for me but for some reason it could now not get through Windows Activation. So I though screw this lets upgrade to Vista.

Are you still with me?

So I got a copy of Vista & as my machine is a 64 bit machine I got the 64 bit home premium, when I put the software in to load it I get "Setup cant not run on this version of Operating System. To install Windows please try booting from the install media". I have went into the setup & changed the 1st &  2nd boot option to CD & have "pressed any key to boot from CD" but alas it just loads up Windows XP.

Once again please help me..

Guest Lazlo

Hi, I hope you or another techy geek can help me.

The problem WE have, is my PC got a virus, I then borrowed someone else's Windows XP to get my machine back up & running, I used the same product key that had worked find for me but for some reason it could now not get through Windows Activation. So I though screw this lets upgrade to Vista.

Are you still with me?

So I got a copy of Vista & as my machine is a 64 bit machine I got the 64 bit home premium, when I put the software in to load it I get "Setup cant not run on this version of Operating System. To install Windows please try booting from the install media". I have went into the setup & changed the 1st &  2nd boot option to CD & have "pressed any key to boot from CD" but alas it just loads up Windows XP.

Once again please help me..

Shooting from the hip. 64 bit vista won't copy over a 32 bit xp installation, it's trying to keep your driver settings upon upgrade, which is impossible since you're upgrading to 64 bit vista. Basically you're trying to re-write vista over your xp installation which is fine but only if both are 32 bit. Upgrade vs clean installation

Elbee is right, formatting is the way forward. Do yourself a real favour by downloading all the 64 bit drivers for your mobo before you start, including the one for your modem/router or you'll be fooked.

C: format doesn't work because your drive is locked to windows processes and it would be easy to drop this command line into a virus, that's why it doesn't work.

You need to boot your comp into the vista install disk, via bios (cd rom first boot device). Then format your h.d and install. I suppose if you had problems formatting you could do it via your xp disk then reboot with the vista 64 disk. I cant't remember if vista gives you an option to format but i suppose it must do somewhere.

I smell of poo.

I got my PC to boot from CD & am now up & running with Vista.

Thanks to all who posted advice & to those geeks who read & did f*** all...........f*** YOU GUYS :razz:

you could have just called and asked me or something

Thanks to all who posted advice & to those geeks who read & did f*** all...........f*** YOU GUYS :razz:

you could have just called and asked me or something

I tell ya I was nearly punching walls until I realized what I had to do.

Guest Lazlo

Welcome to Nerdsville. Now you have vista64 you have the right to refuse to go shopping because your icon tells you it might rain. Also remember to comment on everyone else who you might might meet who runs xp by saying 'what windows is that then ?' The 'i don't think you have to do that in 64 bit vista' line also works a treat.

A good contingency plan when confronted with a geek who can spout fps values in games can be averted by twatting the cunt with your fist