Fabricio Coloccini signed from Deportivo La Coruña on 5 year deal

Cronky

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1366670,00.html

NEWCASTLE United have completed the signing of Argentinian international defender Fabricio Coloccini.

The 26-year-old has put pen to paper on a five-year contract at St. James' Park after arriving from Spanish side Deportivo La Coruna. He will wear the number two shirt for his new club.

Fabricio began his career with the youth team of Argentinos Juniors but made his professional debut in 1998 with Boca Juniors. The following season he moved to AC Milan but spent most of his five years at the San Siro out on loan before returning to Milan, playing once, and then moving permanently to Deportivo.

Coloccini was in the Argentina U20 side that won the 2001 FIFA World Youth Championship and in 2004, was an Olympic Gold medallist with Argentina in Athens where his team-mates included Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano.

In the 2006 World Cup in Germany, Fabricio played twice for Argentina, against Holland and in the losing quarter final against Germany. He also played as a substitute for Argentina when Michael Owen famously scored two late goals as England beat Argentina 3 - 2 in a friendly in Geneva in November 2005.

Last season, 2007/08, he played every minute of Deportivo's La Liga campaign, the first player to do so since the 1999/2000 campaign.

More on this story will follow on nufc.co.uk throughout the day.

From the Independent -

Newcastle target Coloccini again to plug defence gap

By Sam Wallace

Friday, 25 July 2008

Newcastle United's increasingly desperate hunt for a new central defender has caused them to look again at the Argentinian international Fabricio Coloccini, a mainstay of the Deportivo La Coruña team, who would cost around £8m. The club are considering a serious bid as they run out of options for defensive cover in the new season.

Kevin Keegan may not be completely sold on the club's approach to transfers, executive director Dennis Wise runs the operation from London, but it is getting to the point where he is going to have to trust the judgement of Wise and his assistant Tony Jimenez if Newcastle are to be competitive next season. Coloccini's name has been known to Premier League scouts over the last few years, but there are doubts about his suitability for the English game.

He had an unsuccessful spell at Milan and, moving around in Spain after that, has established himself at Deportivo where he captained the team on occasions last season. He has the added advantage of being versatile and has played at right-back and as a defensive midfielder in Spain. A full Argentina international, who played at the 2006 World Cup, Coloccini, 26, is contracted for the next three years.

Not that Newcastle can afford to be too choosy at the moment. They were turned down by Anton Ferdinand earlier this month and have already dispensed with the services of Stephen Carr and David Rozehnal. They have made just two signings all summer in Jonas Gutierrez, the Real Mallorca striker, and Danny Guthrie from Liverpool. They are also interested in Blackburn's Stephen Warnock, but the list of those they have missed out on is more extensive.

The club had intended to make this summer one of intensive rebuilding with Wise, Jimenez and Jeff Vetere, the club's head of player recruitment, scouring Europe for the best, competitively-priced talent. They have not always concurred with Keegan on the type of players that the club should be trying to attract, but the urgency to bolster the squad will increase the closer they get to the start of the new season.

but there are doubts about his suitability for the English game.

I would have thought he`d be perfectly suited to the English game. He`s physical, good header of the ball and not pushed over the ball easily.

If it`s between Anton Ferdinand and Collocini it`s a no brainer as to who we should go for

Guest Flair

He would be a okay signing. Him & Anton are both decent to good centre backs playing for mid table teams.

Of course Colly is more bungle than bling.

What game have you been watching over the last 2 years?

He would be a okay signing. Him & Anton are both decent to good centre backs playing for mid table teams.

The same ones all the mega clubs who haven't signed Coloccini in that time I am guessing.

Got to admit the lad has always done the biz on Footy manager esp with a ifluence rating of 20 & being able to play CB & DMC.

Guest neesy111

we never bided for anton ferdinand, curbs said he ain't recieved any bids for him

the minis is that colly is getting on a bit, he's been at deportivo for a while now, depo will likely cash in on him even though they've sold andrade as well

Guest Jawesome

wiki says:

'he likes listening to heavy metal'

good enough for me :)

He's got the Dave Mustaine look about him as well.

:lol:

wiki says:

'he likes listening to heavy metal'

good enough for me :)

He's got the Dave Mustaine look about him as well.

or chad from nickelback sans beard lol.

we should send cronos from venom over there to try and sign him instead of wisey :)

we never bided for anton ferdinand, curbs said he ain't recieved any bids for him

the minis is that colly is getting on a bit, he's been at deportivo for a while now, depo will likely cash in on him even though they've sold andrade as well

I swear every single one of your posts is made up.

Guest neesy111

what part is made up

what part is made up

If 26 is getting on a bit I'm fucking brickin it cos I'll be there in under 2 years!

Guest Flair

The same ones all the mega clubs who haven't signed Coloccini in that time I am guessing.

Got to admit the lad has always done the biz on Footy manager esp with a ifluence rating of 20 & being able to play CB & DMC.

Since when has Anton been a decent to good centre back? I'll be surprised if Anton even manages to get into the Shit centre back bracket, nevermind the decent bracket.

Since when has Anton been a decent to good centre back? I'll be surprised if Anton even manages to get into the s*** centre back bracket, nevermind the decent bracket.

he's like Taylor, very very average at best

Coloccini would be some signing but doubt Wise has even heard of him tbh

what part is made up

Well "bided" is not a word for a start !

Guest Flair

This would be a great signing.   Exactly what we need.  Take it it isn't 'imminent' though, so no holding of breath.

Its a bloody newspaper article, who would hold their breath over that?

Edit: Misread your post.

Since when has Anton been a decent to good centre back? I'll be surprised if Anton even manages to get into the s*** centre back bracket, nevermind the decent bracket.

taylor really way up from anton

surely...

if anton last name was bramble surely no body rates him

Guest Flair

taylor really way up from anton

surely...

if anton last name was bramble surely no body rates him

Taylor is like John Terry compared to Anton tbh.