John Mayer

Stu

I appreciate that the mere name will lead some people to instantly discredit everything he's ever done; however, I've been listening to his live sessions over the past week and find myself appreciating his later stuff more and more.

I already was a huge fan of Continuum, just amazed now how I let it go unnoticed for 6months before I got a copy! Have acquired some of his live stuff, Any Given Thursday/Where The Light Is/Abbey Road and it's mostly fantastic...I assume Covered In Rain is a cover of someone else?

Oh, if you don't know what I'm jibbering on about...get a copy of his songs for the next time you bring a woman back... O0

I was into John Mayer years ago, then kind of fell off the Mayer train as he got popular and have recently been converted back.  Where The Light Is really showcases what the best parts of John Mayer are.  I really dig the blues vibe throughout the whole concert and his cover of Free Fallin' is incredible.  I have to say that I am slowly getting back on the Mayer train.

Guest LucaAltieri

He's one of the few popular musicians I have any respect for. He's a superb guitarist, singer and songwriter.

Likewise.

Highly respected guitarist, just find a lot of his stuff a little too "poppy"

I agree with you but is he really that good with a guitar or just better that the rest nowadays?

I agree with you but is he really that good with a guitar or just better that the rest nowadays?

got a feeling he's just a lot better than the majority of other artists around these days, has a canny knack for timing though

Saw him in Guitarist, checked him on Myspace, hated every song, couldn't stand his voice and he sounded like the Dave Matthews band. Can't stand him (Dave Matthews) either, so middleoftheroad.....

If anyone knows tracks with JM playing some blues i like to listen.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

He's not really that good on guitar. Any respectable session guitarist would be considerably better, but that's just the state of popular music these days, the level of musicianship on guitar has plummetted. He sings the blues like pop as well with a Christina Aguilera style falsetto. It's really faux blues and does nothing for me, but if young kids listen to some good artists through him playing that music, then that's a good thing.

Saw him in Guitarist, checked him on Myspace, hated every song, couldn't stand his voice and he sounded like the Dave Matthews band. Can't stand him (Dave Matthews) either, so middleoftheroad.....

you what??

you what??

Early DMB albums are amazing.

you what??

Early DMB albums are amazing.

Well, like everything, that's a matter of taste. My gf has all of them and nothing there made me put them on when she's out.

Alan Shearer 9. How old are you?

The reason I ask is because your comments sound like the kind of thing my dad would say....and I'm 44.

Virtuoso guitarists bore me to be honest. Give me an untutored sound anyday.

I would gladly kill Eric Clapton, if not for his 'Send the Pakis back' comment, then for his fucking awful excuse for guitar playing.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Alan Shearer 9. How old are you?

The reason I ask is because your comments sound like the kind of thing my dad would say....and I'm 44.

Virtuoso guitarists bore me to be honest. Give me an untutored sound anyday.

I would gladly kill Eric Clapton, if not for his 'Send the Pakis back' comment, then for his fucking awful excuse for guitar playing.

I'll just let your comments speak for themselves and show you to be the monumental tit that you are :lol:

Guest LucaAltieri

He's not really that good on guitar. Any respectable session guitarist would be considerably better, but that's just the state of popular music these days, the level of musicianship on guitar has plummetted. He sings the blues like pop as well with a Christina Aguilera style falsetto. It's really faux blues and does nothing for me, but if young kids listen to some good artists through him playing that music, then that's a good thing.

It's never about proficiency on an instrument alone. It's the package... and clearly there are some fans of John Mayer's package on here.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

It's never about proficiency on an instrument alone. It's the package... and clearly there are some fans of John Mayer's package on here.

That's very much true. Like I said, just not to my taste how he interprets certain types of music etc. A poster had asked how good he was as a guitarist though and I gave my informed opinion on that.

Clapton was a smackhead, racist, formulaic guitar player.

There was nothing exciting about him.

People of his ilk are a complete waste of time. Don't get me started on Yngie Malstreem or whatever that metal Paganini was called.

Cue the metalheads

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I agree that people playing classical music like that is a great travesty. Clapton is a good guitar player though, if you just listen to his blues stuff it would be easy to think he is quite limited but listen to him playing live with Santana in later years he really is quite proficient in many types of music and a great blues player.

Clearly you're letting personal feelings about him cloud judgement; John Lydon twatted a black lad the other week are you going to go off the Pistols now?