Ashley's recruitment men Wise, Jimenez, Vetere to blame for lack of signings?

Gallowgate End

I was in discussion with one of my good friends on the subject of Newcastle United's disappointing failure on deals and lack of money spent on player recruitment thus far; my friend believes Mike Ashley will simply not put the big money into recruitment of players like Shepherd did as he believes Mike Ashley is looking for buyers to make a profit by selling the club at a much bigger price he brought it at; this came to surface after the event of a month ago when it was suggested in the media that Mike Ashley was was in negotiation with Inter-Media Partners and had set a selling price of £400 million making it a profit of £265 million more then what he had originally brought the club for while I strongly disagree with a lot of this and a lot of the flak that has been directed at Mike Ashley my concern lies with that of his three inexperienced directors Wise, Jimenez, Vetere who were appointed with player recruitment based roles.

The high financial bids for Modric and Woodgate that Chris Mort did confirm publicly suggests that Mike Ashley is willing to spend; the Modric saga in particular suggests a big financial deal was willing to be put in place but our recruitment men of Jimenez, Wise, Vetere lost the deal in agent negotiations lets not forget these three men have no background of successful recruitment of players, my fear is at the end of this transfer window could be the biggest example of that.

I was wondering with the growing disappointment on the lack of player recruitment so far what is the general consensus on the reasoning on this subject?

We don't have much real evidence that the DoF/transfer set up have been poor.  It's difficult to start blaming the owner, the London based team or Keegan until we can be sure a) who was targeted, b) how much money has been made available and c) who has the ultimate responsibility.  We can be reasonably sure that Aimar and Modric were real targets that we failed to obtain, but its hardly fair to blame the DoF set up in those specific instances.  Spurs were a more attractive destination because of European football, and Aimar probably didn't fancy playing in England.  Maybe we lowballed Aimar, or maybe we weren't prepared to pay inflated wages for a player that may not have been worth the asking price.  We just don't know, and arguing about the performance of Keegan or Wise or Ashley is stupid when all available information is made up by British sports journalists, the scum of the earth.

The only thing we know for sure is that we are in (like most other clubs) a generally slow, overpriced market for players.  And we know that our business so far has been done under the radar.  I'm prepared to be patient, so long as they get the job done in the end.

If we then reach midnight on Aug 31 and all we have to show for our summer is Guttierez, Guthrie and a couple of defenders then they (the entire club) will have totally failed.  It doesn't matter when or how they do their job, just so long as they do it.  Sticking with most of the same players that made a good go at relegation as recently as this April and then weakening the squad by allowing 6 or 7 out the door is totally unacceptable.  I'm not committed to big names or a specific amount that needs spending as a benchmark for success....I just know that we need far more quality than we have, especially in midfield.  Spend 2 million or spend 200 million, just get some adequate players in the fucking door.

I think that we've actually gone in for 3 or 4 players but we've been turned down.

NUFC has fallen a long way since the days of Robson and KK's last reign. We cant offer Europe or a strong challenge for trophies. We just dont have the pulling power we used to. Plus the fact that we're not willing to pay ridiculous wages to average players anymore.

Weather Ashley is willing to spend....I dont know. But all the doubters and believers will find out soon enough.

Tbh, Id rather we signed few players that were right for the club instead of just lots of useless shit.

What if we sign four players tomorrow like? Yeah, we probably won't, but my point is - we don't have a fucking clue what's going on. It's funny how the press and suchlike can fuel such dramatic assumptions and paranoia "we're failing in the transfer market". Keegan's comments haven't encouraged me a huge amount today, but i have faith in him and the recruitment team to aquire the new personnel to provide us with further grounds to push on and get into Europe in the future.

Like i say, the fact of the matter is, it's all based on whatifs - we don't know what's happening so we've got no real grounds to pass comment on the policies. This all seems pretty obvious to me anyhow, i dunno. :dontknow:

I'll echo Kimbo's comments and say that we pose the question when the window's closed. Then we can point fingers and see what the hell's gone wrong (assuming of course that we don't have a successful window, which probably won't happen in my eyes).

I think its a bit hasty of the fans to start putting pressure on the board like this so early on. Remember, not many other clubs have gone transfer 'crazy' so far.

But I am frustrated so far and I dont blame the fans getting impatient. I mean, we've been left in the dark about this. Theres been little or no reaction from KK on any transfers, nothing from Llambias....nothing. You can understand people getting worried when they have no reaction from the club on anything for weeks and are so starved of info that they have to rely on shitty newspapers to give them transfer plans etc.

Keep the faith.

Guest sicko2ndbest

People singing 1 greedy b****** about Ashley at the match today  :kasper:

Aye there were a few chants directed at him tbh, particularly for him to 'splash the cash'.

Didnt hear that

Guest elbee909

So do people think Keegan's more here for the payday than to do the job that needs doing?  And if so why do people continue to have faith in him?

I don't personally believe that he's here for that reason, but it's interesting to me that people tend towards not saying a word against Keegan while in another breath people say that he's basically here for the money.

Aye there were a few chants directed at him tbh, particularly for him to 'splash the cash'.

Didnt hear that

Got going three or four times in the second half. Wasn't that loud like.

The atmosphere was far more jovial up to half time (barely giving a shit about the game :lol:), I think after that most people realised just how crap we were.

The old KK would of quit at least twice by now but he needs a few quid after the outlay & failure of Soccer Circus. Well he needs the cash to live the life he has become accustomed to.

This seems to have become fact based on nowt as far as I can see.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Keegan will do the best job he can for this club. He did not realise the gap that was there, and for any other club to have employed a manager that wasnt aware of how much better the top4 were than any other team, i would have accused them of gross neglegance in employing a manager who dosnt know what he is getting himself in for

however

this is Keegan, and even though he came in blind, he will give it his all to get it right. He has inherited Smith, Geremi, Duff etc on high wages who are having a massively negative effect on our recruitment. Mort said that Allardyce had put 10mil a year on top of an already top heavy wage bill last year. This is his first proper window and i believe he will make baby steps. Smith and Duff will realise they no longer have first team opportunities so they will have to suck it and see or move clubs in the prime of their careers. If he makes it to next summer, i think thaayy passing dt is the time to judge Keegan, so until then they all have my undying support and i will endeavour not to cringe at ever

Guest sicko2ndbest

Didnt hear that

Got going three or four times in the second half. Wasn't that loud like.

The atmosphere was far more jovial up to half time (barely giving a s*** about the game :lol:), I think after that most people realised just how crap we were.

Your right, best thing about the 2nd half was the lord christ almighty and his fat mate  :laugh:

So do people think Keegan's more here for the payday than to do the job that needs doing?

He would not be here if he was not getting good wedge, KK knows the value of himself always has done.

And if so why do people continue to have faith in him?

Because of what he done first time around.

I don't personally believe that he's here for that reason, but it's interesting to me that people tend towards not saying a word against Keegan while in another breath people say that he's basically here for the money.

Sir Bobby loved club he didn't work for nowt & when he got the heave ho he battled to get his cash rather than say "I love club & I know the debts are high so I am walking away nowt". Steven Taylor loves the club but he would of fucked off if he didn't get his wedge sorted. Fred Shep & Sir John are fans of NUFC but they didn't give there shares to Mike Ashley & say "We are only millionaires so we handed control to a sportswear billionaire" . It is possible to love club but be there basically for the money.

The old KK would of quit at least twice by now but he needs a few quid after the outlay & failure of Soccer Circus. Well he needs the cash to live the life he has become accustomed to.

This seems to have become fact based on nowt as far as I can see.

KK pumped the most cash into the start up costs, the other bloke was a engineer iirc & there was someone else who's name escapes me. The amount was £6 million. The profits have not that been when someone checked out what was posted at Company House

Guest sicko2ndbest

'Jesus, give us a wave, Jesus Jesus give us a wave' :laugh:

He was loving it as were his mates. How much shit is he going to get from his mates next home game? I would definately take him a bottle of evian next game saying ' I've got the anniversary tonight pal, any chance of turning this into a full bodied merlot with a nice spicy kick'

So do people think Keegan's more here for the payday than to do the job that needs doing?

He would not be here if he was not getting good wedge, KK knows the value of himself always has done.

Sir Bobby loved club he didn't work for nowt & when he got the heave ho he battled to get his cash rather than say "I love club & I know the debts are high so I am walking away nowt". Steven Taylor loves the club but he would of f***ed off if he didn't get his wedge sorted. Fred Shep & Sir John are fans of NUFC but they didn't give there shares to Mike Ashley & say "We are only millionaires so we handed control to a sportswear billionaire" . It is possible to love club but be there basically for the money.

Im sorry but Freddie Shepherd is NOT a fan of Newcastle United football club.

The time to judge anyone is a month from now.

Wont we be saying then "They need time settle as they didn't have a full/any pre-season with the team"

It's irrelevant.

The fact is that too many people who post on message boards and phone radio phone in shows think that all you have to do is put a big bid in, get it accepted and hey presto (Football Manager style).

Any idiot can see that the majority of clubs in the premier league are having a tough summer in the market. I'm sure Keegan, Wise, and co would also like to have the new players in sooner rather than later, but the reality is, it doesn't always work like that.

Agree with that like. Despite what people might say about other clubs, the facts are most of them haven't done much major business, just like ourselves. How long has the Barry thing been going on now, for example?

Anyway I'm not getting into this again, can't be arsed. Everyone know we need players, and the sooner the better. The time to kick off though is when the window closes and we're still as we are now.

Sir Bobby loved club he didn't work for nowt & when he got the heave ho he battled to get his cash rather than say "I love club & I know the debts are high so I am walking away nowt". Steven Taylor loves the club but he would of f***ed off if he didn't get his wedge sorted. Fred Shep & Sir John are fans of NUFC but they didn't give there shares to Mike Ashley & say "We are only millionaires so we handed control to a sportswear billionaire" . It is possible to love club but be there basically for the money.

Im sorry but Freddie Shepherd is NOT a fan of Newcastle United football club.

How do you work that out?