Decent Article from the Guardian re: Shearer

Disco

Guest DazzaNufc1892

who would have known that signing would turn out to be one of the worst things to ever happen to this club

Guest sicko2ndbest

who would have known that signing would turn out to be one of the worst things to ever happen to this club

you need :help:

what id give for a moment like that again  :-[

Oh I'd just give up hope now if I were you.

It will never happen.

Ever.

Again.

:suicide:

Or maybe it will...you never know. That's the pure joy of supporting the Toon though, isn't it? :)

The biggest disaster we ever had was losing Ferdinand to Spurs immediately after Shearer knacked himself - quite what Dalglish thought he was playing at I never understood.

les agreed to join spurs, hurt at nufc wanting rid of him, shearer got injured so freddy/dalglish went cap in hand to sir les to ask him not to sign for spurs but he told them to jog on, for wanting to get rid of him in the 1st place when he never wanted to leave

Nice one the only Objection I have is even when we break the World transfer record and be on top of every club in the world we are thinking about TINY Sunderland it is just SAD. We only need to think them when we play against them other wise we have to forget about them as they are tiny and comparing ourselves with them will make us tiny as well.

When I look back at Shearer's career with us I still feel that somehow we were robbed after that injury at Everton.

We were mugged, raped, cut up into little pieces, half eaten, burnt to ashes and then pissed on with that injury.

If that injury had not happened, I think the minimum we would have finished in the Premiership in between 1997 and 2004 would have been 4th. We were robbed of one of the best strikers in the world after one season, someone who we clearly meant to build the team around. The resulting player was still a consistently good forward, but that extra bit of pace and mobility that meant he frequently got ahead of whoever was marking him had gone.

Its also annoying to think what might have been without that injury with respect to John Dahl Tomasson too. That injury effectively ended Tomasson's career with us, as he was neither ready nor suited to playing as our main striker that season. I think alot of our fans dont appreciate just how good a player he went on to be, granted he never set the world alight but he turned out to be a good playmaker, a very intelligent forward all round, and a real goal threat from deep at the top levels. Would have been an excellent foil for a Shearer in his prime, and although that combination might not have been as spectacular or gifted as for example Bergkamp/Henry, it would probably have been more effective in the Premiership imo. Both players would have been like slippery soap off the ball and lethal once on it.

But thats why its a squad game now. None of the top teams today are built around one player solely to the extent that if that player is out injured or suffers a permanent dip in form/class/etc then they wont turn into crap overnight. We should never have let the situation get to that, but for whatever reason, we did, and the fall has been painful to say the least.

To be fair he was still much better then just consistently good even after the injury.  But I know what you mean, he was a far better player to build a team around before the injury.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

In response to earlier comments, Yes iam serious. I think Shearer's influence and role at the club is the reason we are in this situation today. I don't think im alone when i say its almost a cert that he aided souness in keeping his job, losing robson his job, and dictating that he played ahead of bellamy and kluivert. There was a reason gullit wanted him gone, and a reason why robson tried to sell him to liverpool. It was also shearers selfish greed which made him play on, just to break milburns record. Any other striker, but for one of his influence would have been warming the bench by the end of his career, he was too slow, immobile and lack luster.

In response to earlier comments, Yes iam serious. I think Shearer's influence and role at the club is the reason we are in this situation today. I don't think im alone when i say its almost a cert that he aided souness in keeping his job, losing robson his job, and dictating that he played ahead of bellamy and kluivert. There was a reason gullit wanted him gone, and a reason why robson tried to sell him to liverpool. It was also shearers selfish greed which made him play on, just to break milburns record. Any other striker, but for one of his influence would have been warming the bench by the end of his career, he was too slow, immobile and lack luster.

Agree with this!