Viduka out until September

BONTEMPI

Injury rules out Mark Viduka for start of season

Jul 31 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

Mark Viduka

KEVIN KEEGAN has reluctantly ruled Newcastle United striker Mark Viduka out of the start of the new season.

Keegan fears his well-travelled forward will be missing for the first two or three games of the Premier League campaign – and it could be September before he appears in a black-and-white shirt again.

However, the good news from the United camp here in Majorca is that Keegan believes the burly Aussie will be the only player missing when the Magpies go to Old Trafford for the season opener on August 17.

Nigerian striker Obafemi Martins has rejoined the squad for the Mallorca Summer Cup following the death of his mother, meaning only Viduka, Michael Owen, Joey Barton and Abdoulaye Faye have been left on Tyneside.

Striker Owen is recovering from slight calf trouble, while midfielder Barton is returning to fitness after being released from prison.

Defender Faye – who has been attracting interest from several Premier League clubs – was given extra time off after a summer of international duty with Senegal.

It was feared at the end of last season Viduka would need an operation on his troublesome Achilles tendon injury, but the Chronicle revealed on July 14 this was not going to be the case.

Viduka did have an injection in May, and he is now on the verge of returning to full training with the rest of the United squad.

Keegan said: “Mark will definitely not be ready to start the season, but he should be back in training in the next week.

“With the catching up he has to do, I would say, if everything goes to plan, Mark will miss the first two or three games just because of match fitness.

“Other than that, I don’t think there is anybody who I could say, at the moment, will miss the start of the season.”

That means the manager is confident young striker Andy Carroll, who is currently in plaster after a freak holiday accident, will also be fit.

Keegan added: “Andy is touch and go because, again, he has missed a lot, but everybody else has a chance.”

Bearing in mind United were without 10 of their first-team squad in Saturday’s 1-0 defeat at Doncaster, at least things are now beginning to look up a bit for Keegan.

Mark Viduka

KEVIN KEEGAN has reluctantly ruled Newcastle United striker Mark Viduka out of the start of the new season.

Keegan fears his well-travelled forward will be missing for the first two or three games of the Premier League campaign and it could be September before he appears in a black-and-white shirt again.

However, the good news from the United camp here in Majorca is that Keegan believes the burly Aussie will be the only player missing when the Magpies go to Old Trafford for the season opener on August 17.

Nigerian striker Obafemi Martins has rejoined the squad for the Mallorca Summer Cup following the death of his mother, meaning only Viduka, Michael Owen, Joey Barton and Abdoulaye Faye have been left on Tyneside.

Striker Owen is recovering from slight calf trouble, while midfielder Barton is returning to fitness after being released from prison.

Defender Faye who has been attracting interest from several Premier League clubs was given extra time off after a summer of international duty with Senegal.

It was feared at the end of last season Viduka would need an operation on his troublesome Achilles tendon injury, but the Chronicle revealed on July 14 this was not going to be the case.

Viduka did have an injection in May, and he is now on the verge of returning to full training with the rest of the United squad.

Keegan said: Mark will definitely not be ready to start the season, but he should be back in training in the next week.

With the catching up he has to do, I would say, if everything goes to plan, Mark will miss the first two or three games just because of match fitness.

Other than that, I dont think there is anybody who I could say, at the moment, will miss the start of the season.

That means the manager is confident young striker Andy Carroll, who is currently in plaster after a freak holiday accident, will also be fit.

Keegan added: Andy is touch and go because, again, he has missed a lot, but everybody else has a chance.

Bearing in mind United were without 10 of their first-team squad in Saturdays 1-0 defeat at Doncaster, at least things are now beginning to look up a bit for Keegan.

What went on there then?

Mark Viduka

Keegan fears his well-travelled forward will be missing for the first two or three games of the Premier League campaign and it could be September before he appears in a black-and-white shirt again.

Defender Faye who has been attracting interest from several Premier League clubs was given extra time off after a summer of international duty with Senegal.

Keegan said: Mark will definitely not be ready to start the season, but he should be back in training in the next week.

With the catching up he has to do, I would say, if everything goes to plan, Mark will miss the first two or three games just because of match fitness.

Other than that, I dont think there is anybody who I could say, at the moment, will miss the start of the season.

Keegan added: Andy is touch and go because, again, he has missed a lot, but everybody else has a chance.

Bearing in mind United were without 10 of their first-team squad in Saturdays 1-0 defeat at Doncaster, at least things are now beginning to look up a bit for Keegan.

What went on there then?

He went drinking with Joey Barton?

Guest want_nufc_to_be_big_club

when Viduka starts playing he'll be shit at the begining until his fitness doesnt improve and until he doesnt get match fit.

im sick with his constant injuries.

Guest Stephen927

when Viduka starts playing he'll be s*** at the begining until his fitness doesnt improve and until he doesnt get match fit.

im sick with his constant injuries.

It's not anything new with Viduka tbh.

So he's back in full training next week but not going to be fit 'til September?

Fuck me.

I realise he's got to build it up gradually but when you consider what he's like when he's 'match-fit'...  :undecided:

I think this is good news, as hopefully it really encourages us to get another quality target man in, as Viduka just cannot be relied upon.

Alan Smith and Shola will hopefully prove in the meantime that they are without a shadow of a doubt not short term solutions either.

Fuck me.

I realise he's got to build it up gradually but when you consider what he's like when he's 'match-fit'...  :undecided:

By the start of the season most of the squad will have been in full training for six weeks. If Viduka starts next week and is back in September it adds up tbf.

I have to say it is amazing the state some of these pros allow they're bodies to get into. Unless he really gets his conditioning sorted and gets into really good shape i.e. loses the extra weight he is carrying, he will continue to have these little problems. It's pretty disgusting. Total lack of professionalism.

We should have been looking for a striker anyway, Viduka is getting on, his injury record for Middlesborough and us is horrendous.  Its absolutely ridiculous that we may have to rely on Andy Carrol at the start of the season, talk about inadequate squad!

Fuck me.

By the start of the season most of the squad will have been in full training for six weeks. If Viduka starts next week and is back in September it adds up tbf.

Just starting to flap a bit.  :undecided:

I'll have a word with myself. 

Guest want_nufc_to_be_big_club

We should have been looking for a striker anyway, Viduka is getting on, his injury record for Middlesborough and us is horrendous.  Its absolutely ridiculous that we may have to rely on Andy Carrol at the start of the season, talk about inadequate squad!

the strikers :owen,martins,smith,carrol and ameobi

if we dont buy anyone before man utd game KK will play oba and owen

smith is sub and i rather will give chance to carrol then ameobi

Andy Carroll would be a best case scenario if we don't sign a striker, but he's crocked too!

Alan Smith or Shola, now that would just be too much to take. What a way to start the season that would be. A brand new season beginning with Shola or Smith upfront. That is just tempting fate really and just begging for another season of failure.