Season ticket sales dwindling?

Guest BooBoo

Guest alijmitchell

Economic Difficulties + Impoverished Region + Poor Team + Expensive Tickets + Increasing Number of Games on T.V. + Too many false dawns + Lack of ambitious signings + Shit atmosphere = .........you get the picture

Amongst the people I know, there seems to be two main reasons why many are not renewing their tickets,  and why no-one who doesn't already have a season ticket are even thinking of getting one . . .

(1) Many have had the 'stuffing' knocked out of them by Keegan officially and formally declaring (whether we 'suspected' it already or not) that we are a "second rank" club, and can only compete for 5th spot in the league, at the most.  The "official" lowering of our status from only a short while ago, has finished many people.

IN SHORT - PEOPLE FEEL AWFUL AT BEING TOLD THEY ARE SECOND CLASS.

(2) We were bought by a billionaire (to take us into the big league again, as you need to be owned by a billionaire these days to really be able to afford to compete) and then he refuses to spend the money needed to compete. This seems to be a 'bizarre contradiction' to most of my friends. People know he has paid off a lot of club debt, but to only buy a couple of 'unknowns' (to date) and only be linked with other similar level players (and to probably not even get them) is very demoralising.

IN SHORT - PEOPLE FEEL LET DOWN THAT WE ARE THINKING SO VERY SMALL IN THE TRANSFER MARKET.

OK, those are the prevailing views around my part of Newcastle and amongst the lifelong supporters that I know.

ME?  I feel most of what they feel, and that I have tried to reflect above . . . but I have had a season ticket since 1969 (the season after we won the European Fairs Cup . . . glory-hunter that I am!!) - and I am not giving up now!

Perhaps if we were linked with a couple of strikers and a creative midfielder more people would be fooled into getting a season ticket? ;)

We have been linked with Berbatov on Sunday & Aimar not so long back. Modric turned us down/Eastern European Agent told hi him which club to join/he fancied the crack in London.

Guest Mucky01

how many people have taken the opportunity not to renew because of being shifted from their seats?

Amongst the people I know, there seems to be two main reasons why many are not renewing their tickets,  and why no-one who doesn't already have a season ticket are even thinking of getting one . . .

(1) Many have had the 'stuffing' knocked out of them by Keegan officially and formally declaring (whether we 'suspected' it already or not) that we are a "second rank" club, and can only compete for 5th spot in the league, at the most.  The "official" lowering of our status from only a short while ago, has finished many people.

(2) We were bought by a billionaire (to take us into the big league again, as you need to be owned by a billionaire these days to really be able to afford to compete) and then he refuses to spend the money needed to compete. This seems to be a 'bizarre contradiction' to most of my friends. People know he has paid off a lot of club debt, but to only buy a couple of 'unknowns' (to date) and only be linked with other similar level players (and to probably not even get them) is very demoralising.

IN SHORT - PEOPLE FEEL LET DOWN THAT WE ARE THINKING SO VERY SMALL IN THE TRANSFER MARKET.

OK, those are the prevailing views around my part of Newcastle and amongst the lifelong supporters that I know.

ME?  I feel most of what they feel, and that I have tried to reflect above . . . but I have had a season ticket since 1969 (the season after we won the European Fairs Cup . . . glory-hunter that I am!!) - and I am not giving up now!

Spot on.

My regular group of match going mates is about 6 strong and they are ALL renewing, but in some cases through gritted teeth becasue of the reasons stated in the quoted post above.

Great post. :nods:

I think you've summed up precisely how I feel about things at the club there - except I won't be getting a season ticket because I simply can't afford it.

I can't even afford a Sky subscription anymore. In a weird way, the lack of transfer activity is a kinda relief for me, because it means not being able to afford it all right now is made just a little bit easier to take.

That said it goes without saying I'd love to see Ashley step it up and just go mental in the transfer market a la Abramovic in his first summer as Chelsea owner - but let's be frank here...the credit crunch (or at least the general economic environment right now) may be part of the reason why Ashley's being a bit more circumspect in his dealings thus far.

It's frustrating, sure...but it's understandable on one level as well. Season ticket holders who stick at it through thick and thin, whilst laudable for their loyalty, may well be doing so to the detriment of their families wellbeing, and I just cannot fathom that. 

Guest Mantis

Economic Difficulties + Impoverished Region + Poor Team + Expensive Tickets + Increasing Number of Games on T.V. + Too many false dawns + Lack of ambitious signings + s*** atmosphere = .........you get the picture

:clap:

Times are hard, moneys tight, many people are fed up with being served shite. 

Keegans been sold a dummy and many fans aren't prepared to be treat like cash cow mugs any longer.  Portsmouth, Spurs and Man City seem to have overtaken us in the last couple of years and even we dont appear to be able to compete with them in the transfer stakes.  Sad but true.  It is good to be optimistic but many of us are realists.  Top heavy club, front line not strong enough.

This is just off the rumour mill but i hear that the club is slightly concerned about the amount of people who have not renewed their season tickets.

I for one have heard of lots of people who have called it a day and not renewed, yet havent heard of a single person who is buying a season ticket for the first time this season.

I seriously think that without a few excitement generating players incoming, then we'll be struggling to top 50,000 for most of the games this season (some like Man Utd and the Mackems are always going to sell out).

Have people just had enough or is there more to it?

the penny is dropping

This is just off the rumour mill but i hear that the club is slightly concerned about the amount of people who have not renewed their season tickets.

I for one have heard of lots of people who have called it a day and not renewed, yet havent heard of a single person who is buying a season ticket for the first time this season.

I seriously think that without a few excitement generating players incoming, then we'll be struggling to top 50,000 for most of the games this season (some like Man Utd and the Mackems are always going to sell out).

the penny is dropping

We've had four very average at best seasons now though.

the penny is dropping

That's the reason IMO, although these rumours start about this time every year.

Apparently there's been adverts for NUFC season tickets on Metro Radio/ Century as well, although i've not heard them myself (prefer talkSport).

I heard the advert on Century, adult tickets from £300.

business still booming then ?

Guest fraser

I've been trying to change my seats so four of us rather than three and somebody else a long way away can sit together. This has been difficult. While one might put this down to box-office incompetence, repeated contact showed it was difficult to find four seats together.

If there had been so many failures to renew I think we'd have found it easier. For instance, the East Stand and the Gallowgate appear to be 'no-go areas' for this type of change.

the penny is dropping

We''ll see ?

First sign of mediocrity, brought about by buying real mediocre players, will be mediorcre ticket sales [by the standards we are used to]

Good business.

the penny is dropping

We''ll see ?

First sign of mediocrity, brought about by buying real mediocre players, will be mediorcre ticket sales [by the standards we are used to]

Good business.

Like Sibierski and Bernard you mean? ;)

This.

As it happens, I've just come into a bit of cash, so I've renewed for 3 years. If I hadn't been in that position, there's little to no chance I'd have pulled out £600 to watch another season of poor football with no hope at all of it getting any better.

As it is, I'm not particularly looking forward to going at the moment... I hope that once things get going with the season the doom and gloom lifts.

I dont get Manorpark's sentiments about us being second class. Does financial reality not matter in his world?

Firstly, I am not talking about any 'financial realities' - I am talking about peoples feelings and how this has affected their decisions whether to renew season tickets or not.

Secondly, if you bring the separate issue of financial reality into it, the club has been part of a (far out on their own) "group of five" huge turnover clubs in the UK for over 10 long years.  Now, we have been caught and are 6th in the UK in terms of income (the huge gap between 5th and 6th has now been eroded) BUT - this has been counterbalanced by the fact that we for the first time have a billionaire owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  There should be no 'financial realities' (still large income PLUS billionaire owners top-ups) that should hold us back - quite the reverse.

BUT - that was not what I was talking about.

the penny is dropping

We''ll see ?

Good business.

Precisely.  Really don't understand people (particularly older people) writing off players before they've even seen them.

Truth is we've been signing mediocre players for years.  To suggest it's something new is fucking stupid.

the penny is dropping

We''ll see ?

Good business.

stop misrepresenting me  ;D

what strikes me as quite amazing, is the amount of people subconciously commenting from the point of view that they think we are a big club, have been acting like one, and now are disappointed that we aren't anymore.

We were 3rd class - almost - when Keegan came the first time and he still packed them in, and didn't take long for the 36,000 stadium to be obviously too small.