Stanchions

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Just watching the premier league years. Every ground had different stantions for their goalposts, and it made the ground immediately recognisable.

Today every ground seems to have the same style (no stantions - free hanging) even if the nets are different colour. I wonder if it was to do with the fact that the ball could rebound off the stantions making it difficult to tell whether the ball has gone in or not.

There were a lot of grounds around the world that had their own unique style, probably Wembley being the best example. We had black and white nets with the 'u' bar stantion at the top of the goal, Southampton had really shallow nets etc

Who had the best goals?

Who's were the most recognisable?

Should we return to them?

Any other ways to give them a unique look? I would say the nets need to be in the colour of the home kit

Mark Hughes scored at Southampton and it came back off the advertising boards and the referee didn't give a goal, just played on. I'm sure or did I dream that?

Yeah I remember that. Went in, smacked the hoardings behind as they weren't far from the goal-line, bounced out, and I'm pretty sure a goal-kick was awarded.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Mark Hughes scored at Southampton and it came back off the advertising boards and the referee didn't give a goal, just played on. I'm sure or did I dream that?

I remember that. I remember Clive Allen doing a similar thing for Spurs but he hit the stantion

i'm sure i remember seeing a free kick taken by either mc.allister or strachan for leeds in the premiership and the ball got stuck in the stantion, was f'kin brilliant :)

Haha yeah I remember that too.

Guest johnson293

I remember Gazza scoring one at the Gallowgate end for us, 87-88 season - think it was against either Crystal Palace or Swindon in a cup.... Struck it from 20-30 odd yards, and it flew straight into the top corner rattling around the stanchion before dropping into the back of the net.

As soon as I saw the thread title I knew someone was going to mention balls getting stuck in them.

Brilliant, the best type of goal you can score imo, seen it happen a few times in Sunday league.

Nah in off the underside bar bouncing down into the goal and back up into the roof of the net is the best kind of goal you can score. Tony Yeboah v Liverpool being a classic example.

I remember that. I remember Clive Allen doing a similar thing for Spurs but he hit the stantion

It was for Palace against Coventry at Highfield Road.A direct free kick which went in ,hit the stanchion,and came out.Ref said no goal!

As soon as I saw the thread title I knew someone was going to mention balls getting stuck in them.

Brilliant, the best type of goal you can score imo, seen it happen a few times in Sunday league.

Nah in off the underside bar bouncing down into the goal and back up into the roof of the net is the best kind of goal you can score. Tony Yeboah v Liverpool being a classic example.

Imo a stanchion goal is.

A free kick from outside of the box lashed into the top corner always rising and then bang!, its stuck right in the stanchion.

It is the ultimate was to say to the opposition that we own you, look what we can do, we can stick the ball right in your stanchion and there aint nowt you can do about it.

It always used to happen when I was playing in teams as a bairn, my abiding memory is the ball getting stuck, and more often than not, sometimes having to climb on each others shoulders to get the ball out, as at 13 years old couldn't always reach, especially if it was wedged right in.

However, just to change the subject, I searched "stanchion goal" on a well-known video site to find some crackers.  Upon finding one by Tom Youngs of Cambridge United, I then had a link to another down the side of Lionel Perez taking a penalty, and having it saved, during a Cambridge United game.  Odd, but worth a watch!