Sir John Hall goes senile...

Guest Armchair Pundit

Guest Armchair Pundit

Not sure if this has been posted, from SSN:

Sir John Hall has launched a staunch defence of Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd after the Magpies supremo was turned on by sections of the club's support in the defeat to Middlesbrough.

After winning just two games so far this season the mood on Tyneside is darkening, and Shepherd bore the brunt of the fans' frustration when a small number of the travelling support at The Riverside called on him to quit.

Shepherd has sanctioned a long list of major signings during his time in the St James' Park hot-seat, but a succession of managers have failed to bring the trophy that Magpies fans lust after and his contribution to the ongoing malaise has now been called into question.

However, Hall believes Shepherd is not to blame for Newcastle's struggles, instead pointing the finger at those managers such as Graeme Souness and Ruud Gullit who spent substantially on players who were, in Hall's words, 'not good enough' for the club.

"I am very surprised and disappointed with what has happened at Sunday's defeat when, as I understand, a small group of fans chanted for a short time," said Hall.

"I believe it has been blown out of all proportion by sections of the media.

"Like I did before him, Freddy Shepherd has backed every Newcastle United manager in the transfer market to the limit of the club's resources.

"And, like me, he cannot legislate for what happens on the field. That is up to the manager and the players.

"It is clear to me and everyone that some of the players bought by previous managers simply have not been good enough.

"In fact, our fans must look in amazement at some of the vast sums of money paid out for players who are not good enough for this football club."

Hall also highlighted the financial input his own family and the Shepherds have given to Newcastle, with the current life president blaming an unfortunate run of injuries for the club's poor form this season.

"Since the Halls and the Shepherds took over the club, we have spent over £200 million on players as well as making St James' Park one of the best stadia in Europe, so none of our managers can say that we have not backed them," Hall added.

"Now we will get it right again. We know we have to get it right.

"Like every other fan, I am disappointed that we are not winning games at the moment and not scoring goals.

"We have been unlucky with injuries this season to Michael Owen, Kieron Dyer and Shay Given and our other goalkeeper Steve Harper could hardly walk the other night against Fenerbahce.

"No team can really cope with losing this calibre of player, and all this has happened as Alan Shearer retired."

The Magpies have also had to deny reports that shareholders have been in negotiations with investment group Belgravia regarding a takeover.

The Jersey-based group were reputedly in contact with all shareholders regarding the purchase of the North East club, but Newcastle have denied that any formal offer has been made.

"The company has not received a formal offer proposal from any entity," said a statement on the club's official website.

And why havent we taken advantage of modern technology up until now? If Bolton can do it....

And why do u get paid half a million quid a year + dividends?? What do u do except sun urself in Marbella???

I used to like hall. Now i just think he's an idiot.. He just got lucky with Keegan..

Guest Canny_Fettle

Who appointed those managers who wasted all that money?  Even better why not let those managers waste that money then sack them and bring in the complete opposite of what you had 4 weeks into the season.   Excellent decision making or what  :winking:

Looks like an attempt to pass the buck - however Sir John you passed the mantle over to Mr. Shepherd and thus must take some of the responsibility for the current shambles.  It's not as if you've been doing nothing behind the scenes is it .

There is definetly a crisis as SJH only comes out and talks re NUFC matters when there is a crisis.  Perhaps Belgravia see this as an opportunity to deflate the price?

As has been pointed out, his reasoning is flawed. 

How can he say that the problem is that personnel have been brought into the club that are not good enough but not acknowledge that this is exactly what the chairman has consistently done?

I'd be very surprised if those are really SJH's private thoughts.  After all, he is an intelligent man.

Guest thompers

He's gone down in my estimation.

It's like taking a shit on the floor, appointing that shit as the manager of your football club then exempting yourself from blame when that heap of shit doesn't deliver.

It's like taking a shit on the floor, appointing that shit as the manager of your football club then exempting yourself from blame when that heap of shit doesn't deliver.

Thats one fucking odd analogy.

Its like taking a shit on the floor and then blaming the shit for getting the floor dirty.

Not sure if this has been posted, from SSN:

"Since the Halls and the Shepherds took over the club, we have spent over £200 million on players as well as making St James' Park one of the best stadia in Europe, so none of our managers can say that we have not backed them," Hall added.

That quote is nearly identical to the one that angered me enough to create the finances web site.

The wording is very careful so that it reads as though the Halls and Shepherds have spent £200m on players. This is just not true in any respect.

The club has spent that amount of money.

The Halls and Shepherds have taken out over £30m in the last 9 years. They do not contribute to the clube they bleed it for every penny they can get. Once they have realised that they cannot be seen to bleed it any further they are looking to cash in on the shares.

If they agreed to sell their shares tomorrow at 70p per share than the Hall and Shepherds would have paid in roughly £8m for their shares and a profit of over £110m.

They think we are stupid. And we are