It's Sunday, it's half twelve, it's number one... it's ASHLEY TO SELL UP!

Wullie

I guess we should have expected this really. On the weekend we look like announcing a good signing, they (the media) just had to throw something out there to keep those positive vibes to a minimum.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but surely the richer the person, the less point there is in buying a football club to make money? As far as I can see, the sport is awash with money, but most of it comes in and goes straight out. The clear profit being made would be small fry for Ashley, never mind someone with so much more money.

The point I'm making is that Ashley surely bought us for 'fun'; purely for something to do? So why would he be so desperate to sell up every other week?

Personally I wouldn't want an Abramovich-style spending spree anyway, despite the media assuming (as a Newcastle fan) that I would.

Dave, assuming he bought us to be a success on the field [as its your view], maybe he - like Simon Jordan - has found that its not what he hoped or thought it would be ? Or maybe the opportunity will come along to make a quick profit ? Either is more than plausible.

Bottom line is that unless and until such a time that Newcastle United becomes a fan-owned cooperative organisation, we will always be at the behest of venture capitalists looking for a quick buck. I wouldn't blame Ashley for wanting to realise his assets now, given the way the economy is going. Newcastle United represents a higher than average risk investment, and it's been good of him to rescue us from the mismanagement of the Shepherd era, but beyond that his involvement has never looked that durable as a longer-term prospect.

Reliance Com. Would see us as a very interesting vehicle to develop thier global telcom brand. That's all I'm saying, wouldn't dismiss this out of hand.

Not dismissing anything out of hand, mate. Nor am I joining the ranks of other posters who are firmly in the "in denial" camp. This is the reality of where we are now. We are nothing more than a cash cow for rich industrialists and wheeler-dealer barrow-boys on the make...the club is nothing more than a whore pimped out for commercial gain by fat cat greedy wankers so they can get even richer at our expense. This is the realpolitik of top flight football these days.

So what's new, really?

Why do people like using the words "Mike Ashley is a businessman" ? Steve Curry said it & few posters say it every now & again. I reckon most people who run or own football clubs are businessmen obviously not Karen Brady or them fans things but the likes  of Barca & Real are ran by businessmen who are elected..

Maybe I'm missing something here, but surely the richer the person, the less point there is in buying a football club to make money? As far as I can see, the sport is awash with money, but most of it comes in and goes straight out. The clear profit being made would be small fry for Ashley, never mind someone with so much more money.

The point I'm making is that Ashley surely bought us for 'fun'; purely for something to do? So why would he be so desperate to sell up every other week?

Personally I wouldn't want an Abramovich-style spending spree anyway, despite the media assuming (as a Newcastle fan) that I would.

Dave, assuming he bought us to be a success on the field [as its your view], maybe he - like Simon Jordan - has found that its not what he hoped or thought it would be ? Or maybe the opportunity will come along to make a quick profit ? Either is more than plausible.

There's also the chance that the article is a complete load of bollocks, which is in fact more likely.

For a telecom company like Reliance that wants to be a global brand with high visibilty football is a very strong option. It's either that or the Olympics these days. Football is a very interesting vehicle as it gets the most airtime of anything on the planet, especially in Europe. The Indian bloke would look at it in that way to energise Reliance and give it high visibility especiall if he was looking to move into the Euro/Global telecom market. The cost of the club is peanuts for an operation like this.

There's also the chance that the article is a complete load of bollocks, which is in fact more likely.

why is it more likely ? Because you want it to be ? Its a hypothetical question, it isn't impossible, and these reports are happening too often, and paying off the stadium repayments almost definitely makes the club a more saleable asset ?

For a telecom company like Reliance that wants to be a global brand with high visibilty football is a very strong option. It's either that or the Olympics these days. Football is a very interesting vehicle as it gets the most airtime of anything on the planet, especially in Europe. The Indian bloke would look at it in that way to energise Reliance and give it high visibility especiall if he was looking to move into the Euro/Global telecom market. The cost of the club is peanuts for an operation like this.

What can he do with owning a club that he can't do with, say, shirt sponsorship and lots of advertising?

(You could ask the same question about Ashley, too, come to think of it.)

Maybe he has. Maybe it's all a load of unadulterated bullshit. Who knows?

What I do know is that if these stories are all true then he must be doing a pretty shit job of selling the club given that this is about his eighth attempt... :rolleyes:

I hope he doesnt sell. . There's no reason to believe he will like. I really want to see him make a success of us, unlike like some people who seem to want to see him fail.

this is directed at me isn't it ?

I'll start by asking you if you have paid for the next 3 years ? So I certainly don't want them to fail, anymore than I have wanted anybody to fail since 1964 when I have watched this club through all the good and shit times, far worse than this believe me.

I fail to see why you don't want him to sell to someone who might be better for the club, whoever it might be. Why not ? Why do you specifically want him to succeed, does it matter who the owner is if the club succeeds ?

What can he do with owning a club that he can't do with, say, shirt sponsorship and lots of advertising?

People emotionally engage with a football club, it also becomes a symbol (if run correctly) that projects the core values of the owner ie Reliance. You don't get this from adv which is has a very short term influence if any. 90% of adv doesn't work (don't tell them).

why is it more likely ? Because you want it to be ? Its a hypothetical question, it isn't impossible, and these reports are happening too often, and paying off the stadium repayments almost definitely makes the club a more saleable asset ?

Dealing in facts (which is what you like), how many of these stories have we seen so far & how many have been proven to have any trurth in them.

The balance of probability surely dictates that its more than likely another load of shite.

If you really think the clearing of the stadium debt has been done solely to sell the club, then you're a fool.  You clearly have no idea about finance & business other than what you read in the papers.

FWIW I don't really care who owns the club, whether it be Ashley or someone else, so stop trying to tell me what I think, particularly when you've repeatedly made it clear you want shot of him with your usual agenda-driven drivel.

Maybe he has. Maybe it's all a load of unadulterated bullshit. Who knows?

What I do know is that if these stories are all true then he must be doing a pretty shit job of selling the club given that this is about his eighth attempt... :rolleyes:

We will see. Obviously we all hope he succeeds, but I think that he will sell the club when he gets a good offer.

As if Ashley's going to be interested in selling up for a profit of £30 million..  :idiot2:

I think Mike has been astounded by £££'s to value for money in football & is looking for a exit or someone to share the burden.

Reading Mr Shepherds article made me smile as he writes Anil Ambani is India's 2nd richest man behind his brother Mukesh Ambani, he has missed out Lakshmi Mittal who is India richest man, worlds number 4 richest & who is easily the richest bloke who lives in the UK.

I hope he doesnt sell. . There's no reason to believe he will like. I really want to see him make a success of us, unlike like some people who seem to want to see him fail.

I'll start by asking you if you have paid for the next 3 years ? So I certainly don't want them to fail, anymore than I have wanted anybody to fail since 1964 when I have watched this club through all the good and s*** times, far worse than this believe me.

I fail to see why you don't want him to sell to someone who might be better for the club, whoever it might be. Why not ? Why do you specifically want him to succeed, does it matter who the owner is if the club succeeds ?

Errr, it was actually aimed at the people on the NOTW website leaving comments....

I'll start by asking you if you have paid for the next 3 years ? So I certainly don't want them to fail, anymore than I have wanted anybody to fail since 1964 when I have watched this club through all the good and shit times, far worse than this believe me.

Quick question, yes or no answer required. Anything else you post will be ignored, I want a one-word answer.

Do you see the irony in you suggesting that a new owner may automatically improve things?

Remember, yes or no. Nothing else.

I'll start by asking you if you have paid for the next 3 years ? So I certainly don't want them to fail, anymore than I have wanted anybody to fail since 1964 when I have watched this club through all the good and s*** times, far worse than this believe me.

Errr, it was actually aimed at the people on the NOTW website leaving comments....

:)

You've said yourself that the clubs debt was reflected in the price Ashley bought it for so I don't see how paying it off has made the club a more saleable asset.

Dealing in facts (which is what you like), how many of these stories have we seen so far & how many have been proven to have any trurth in them.

The balance of probability surely dictates that its more than likely another load of shite.

If you really think the clearing of the stadium debt has been done solely to sell the club, then you're a fool.  You clearly have no idea about finance & business other than what you read in the papers.

FWIW I don't really care who owns the club, whether it be Ashley or someone else, so stop trying to tell me what I think, particularly when you've repeatedly made it clear you want shot of him with your usual agenda-driven drivel.

We've been linked with 5 buyers in the last year or so...Can it all be shite??

Or he may just fancy owning a football like Roman, he has not pushed any of his businesses prominently on Chelsea.

We've been linked with 5 buyers in the last year or so...Can it all be shite??

Linked by whom?