24.0 Mbps

Crumpy Gunt

Is what my wireless connection is running at. 

I'm on 8meg with AOL so is that about right?

The one I've been accidently linking to is much quicker - 52Mbps.

I doubt it very much.  The internet isn't just about the speed you have on your connection, its about the speed at the other end where the data is coming from too.  I've never seen a connection actually do anything faster than 1mbps for downloading.

Go to this site and do a test.

http://www.speedtest.net/

if you have the capacity to do a print screen then host/post the picture of the results.

actually I think your talking about your wireless network speed.

This doens't mean you have that speed from the internet, it means your wireless network can handle the speed/load of data transfer.

For example, if you use a network cable it will show as 100mbps.  That's not internet speed, its the network speed from your pc to the internet line.

It's hard to see as that picture has come out very small and I can't read the numbers on the download.  It looks to be 4 digits, and its in kpbs for that site.

That would indicate that your connection speed is between 1 meg and 9 mbps.  As your supposed to have 8mbps is most likely going to be a figure around 6000kbps to 8000kbps.

Guest LucaAltieri

http://www.speedtest.net/result/304851010.png

it was up to 3500ish earlier tonight.

That's 2.713mb/s

2.650mb/s  bluerazz.gif

However you were spot on.... he's confusing his network speed with his the speed of this broadband in the original post.

The network speed is of little importance unless you're transferring data machine to machine over a local network. If you're just worried about the net then that side of things will always be the weakest link anyway.

Im not sure what the question is, are you asking why your wireless network is 24mbps and your internet 8mbps? If so then:

Your wireless network ISNT the internet, it is only connected to it. The 24mbps is the transfer rate of sending files from one device to another through the wireless network i.e. if you were sending a file from 1 computer connected to your home network to another connected to the same home network, it would send the file at a rate of 24mbps. The 8mbps is your internet speed, devices connected to the network can (not will) send and recieve files from websites and online servers at a rate of 8mbps.

Guest Lazlo

Ooh, its all proportional y'know.  Your upload speed is more important than you know. It governs how many connections you get from torrents etc. Anything above 8meg you won't get the full benefit unless your upload speed is above 1meg.

Here's mine btw http://www.speedtest.net/result/306712868.png

Which is fine until toons taylor decides to whaft his bandwidth cock about. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the 10mb upgrade hasn't happened on Tyneside yet but will soon. http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/schedule.html

Just to rub it in:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/304794486.png

Virgin are going on about releasing 50mb this year, I wonder if that's as an upgrade to the XL package or a whole new service.

From what i've read it's going to be a new package, rumoured to be about £50 p/m  Can't see much point in it tbh, unless they treble the upload speed as well.

Yeah, that's about the extent of it. Although if you use your noddle it seems the bpi are reporting downloaders to virgin by logging their i.p especially on programs ending with -wire, where it is easy to do.

I don't think virgin themselves are responsible for the mass grassing, knowing this you can take precautions.

Im not sure what the question is, are you asking why your wireless network is 24mbps and your internet 8mbps? If so then:

Your wireless network ISNT the internet, it is only connected to it. The 24mbps is the transfer rate of sending files from one device to another through the wireless network i.e. if you were sending a file from 1 computer connected to your home network to another connected to the same home network, it would send the file at a rate of 24mbps. The 8mbps is your internet speed, devices connected to the network can (not will) send and recieve files from websites and online servers at a rate of 8mbps.

did you guys not even listen to decky? hes right the broadband speed could well be 7meg but the 24mbps is the rate of transfer from your router to the the computer, a wireless connection will usually only run at 54mbps +excluding wireless n+ if its working on 54mbps on someone elses router it sounds like your router settings...try this go to start>run>cmd> then type in ipconfig, note down the default gateway and type it into internet explorer then access the wireless settings and make sure its on g and not b also check the wireless channel is above 7.

• 2 months later...