Thailand bans Grand Theft Auto IV

hakka

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_7540000/7540623.stm

I find this so pathetic.  Do they honestly believe this game warps peoples minds in to commiting murder? it doesn't.  If the lad had the capacity and insanity level to kill, he was always going to anyway regardless of GTA IV existed or not.

The banning of the game won't prevent others from commiting murder, it just means they won't be able to use GTA IV as an excuse.

I dreamt of doing drive by's last night, i blame gta.

dreams are fine, it's when you think about it in reality your nuts.

I've played company of heroes and COD4 and then had dreams of fighting in a war.  Infact, my COD4 dreams were so intense that I even try to do CTRL-ALT-DEL in my dreams to escape tough moments, or try to push an invisible escape key to re-load a save point.

Madness.

The gaming culture here is insane, though. Kids skip school to go to internet cafes (who charge £1 for 3 hours), sit and play until midnight or so and then go home, wake up the next day and repeat the same schedule. They can even make money if they're good at these games (sell stuff online and all) and for many of the kids in deprived neighbourhoods, they're better off going for broke by becoming an awesome gamer rather than try to finish school and get a job. I remember when doing some community service (part-time basic English teaching) a couple of years ago, some of the kids didn't show up and I later found out that they were out meeting other 'gamers' and selling stuff instead of coming to class.

Anyway, there was a game out here about a couple of years ago - Ragnarok or something - which the kids were so addicted to that the govt had to implement a policy that anyone under 18 couldn't play past 10pm or before 8am. So of course, all the addicted kids stole their parents' id cards and registered online using those details. Crazy stuff. I remember seeing a tabloid article saying that the gaming companies had noticed that 'senior' citizens had started playing :lol:

To more serious stuff, I think there's some literature on this subject and although it's not an absolute thing, you can't dismiss it that easily. Kids these days are naive and easily led. If you realise that, then it's not hard to fathom that they'll be influenced by an environment that they're in pretty much all day everyday.

The gaming culture here is insane, though. Kids skip school to go to internet cafes (who charge £1 for 3 hours), sit and play until midnight or so and then go home, wake up the next day and repeat the same schedule. They can even make money if they're good at these games (sell stuff online and all) and for many of the kids in deprived neighbourhoods, they're better off going for broke by becoming an awesome gamer rather than try to finish school and get a job. I remember when doing some community service (part-time basic English teaching) a couple of years ago, some of the kids didn't show up and I later found out that they were out meeting other 'gamers' and selling stuff instead of coming to class.

Anyway, there was a game out here about a couple of years ago - Ragnarok or something - which the kids were so addicted to that the govt had to implement a policy that anyone under 18 couldn't play past 10pm or before 8am. So of course, all the addicted kids stole their parents' id cards and registered online using those details. Crazy stuff. I remember seeing a tabloid article saying that the gaming companies had noticed that 'senior' citizens had started playing :lol:

To more serious stuff, I think there's some literature on this subject and although it's not an absolute thing, you can't dismiss it that easily. Kids these days are naive and easily led. If you realise that, then it's not hard to fathom that they'll be influenced by an environment that they're in pretty much all day everyday.

The guy was 18 though, not a kid who is 11.  And this was murder, not missing school for a bit.

Don't disagree with what your saying, but don't think your context applies to the Thailand incident.