XP Password login problem

LiquidAK

For some reason, XP seems to forget my password. I know I'm typing the right one, but it still says "Are you sure you typed the correct... etc." It works the first couple of times after I set it, but within 24 hours it stops recognising it. Now I can still get in by logging into the Admin account and changing the password from there, but that's a bit inconvenient every time I turn my PC on just to log into XP.

Hope that made sense, can anyone help?

Guest shearer_united

I think that user account probably has a time limit set (i.e. certain hours per session/day limit). I'm not sure if it actually is the case, however, it may be controlled but third-party software such as parental control software for children.

Well it's my PC, I have complete access to the Admin account and I've never had this problem before, my parents never come on here and there are no parental controls whatsoever, so I don't think that could be the problem.

Guest Lazlo

Logically, it is software causing the issue. No hardware fault would cause that same prognosis.

First off i would do a scan with avg and a squared. Change your password.

There are other things that can cause this but try the above first.

Logically, it is software causing the issue. No hardware fault would cause that same prognosis.

First off i would do a scan with avg and a squared. Change your password.

There are other things that can cause this but try the above first.

Haven't got avg or a squared. I have Norton Antivirus and Spybot: Search and Destroy, would they do?

Either way I'll do a full system scan on both of them, and then change my password.

Thanks for the help, I'll post whether it works or not.

Well I installed that and ran it, it only found a few tracking cookies so I had them removed. Anyway since then it's been working fine, 2 days now it's remembered my password. If it forgets again I'll post requesting some of the other solutions you mentioned.

Thanks everyone for your help. =)