Can we afford to sell?

Coxaux

It's pretty dam obvious that we're currently short on bodies, the squad is depleted and a couple of serious injuries could no doubt nobble us for the season. Although I'm sure the back room staff are working hard to bring in fresh faces (hold your horses lads) to build up the squad, the fact is currently we're paper thin.

If a couple of decent bids were to come for players who just aren't good enough, or don't don't give value for their wages ala the likes of Alan Smith and Damien Duff, would you allow them to leave?

For example say Wigan Athletic were to Offer between three and four million pounds for Alan Smith, would you accept the offer? Your getting four million pounds for a player who, although he tries is inept at what he does, but your allowing a player who adds depth to a department we currently lack in to leave, after all Owen and Viduka will struggle to stay fit for an entire season.

Personally I think position comes into play. I'd be more willing to let a winger go than a forward simply because we have more depth on the flanks, although I'm sure some would argue we can't afford to let any more bodies go, regardless of position.

I think I'll get in ahead of the flood of replies and sum them up, yes we would sell all of the wastes of skin like Smudger... the sooner the better.

On a serious note, I reckon the youngsters would do just as good a job, if not better.

I think I'll get in ahead of the flood of replies and sum them up, yes we would sell all of the wastes of skin like Smudger... the sooner the better.

On a serious note, I reckon the youngsters would do just as good a job, if not better.

exactly, and gain some experience. its not like you're asking an 16/17/18 year old to play in defence, where one mistake costs you a goal. up front or out wide they've got a bit more room to play without massive pressure. Carrol/Zamblera/Donaldson instead of Smith, Ameobi? Aye. Lua-Lua instead of Duff? Aye.

Smith and Amoebi I'd definetly sell. Obviously only one of the two if we were getting nobody in. They just add nothing whatsoever to the team, they are both completely and utterly useless. 

To add some weight to the argument, I think the fee would probably have to be right, normally I'd sell Shola in a heart beat but the fact is he's better than a kick up the arse.

Well for the wages he's on.

How much do you think we could get as a combined fee for Smith and Ameobi? Around £6m at best i would guess. I would sell those two and go for a quality striker and one young relatively unknown young player (like the Bassong signing)

A quality striker who can hold up the ball well, Wont come cheap though.. And i dont think there's time to sign two strikers if anyone buys shola and smudge..Especially when we desperately need at least one midfielder..

How much do you think we could get as a combined fee for Smith and Ameobi? Around £6m at best i would guess. I would sell those two and go for a quality striker and one young relatively unknown young player (like the Bassong signing)

A quality striker who can hold up the ball well, Wont come cheap though.. And i dont think there's time to sign two strikers if anyone buys shola and smudge..Especially when we desperately need at least one midfielder..

If we could get £6m I would do a little dance of joy.

The problem with Smith and Shola is they add nothing to the squad, it's clear they can not be relied upon to even back up the main men. Therefore I would have absolutely no problem accepting any bid in excess of zero pounds for either of them. They're just leaching off the wage bill at present.

Duff is a different story he is adequate as a back up and even on pre season form pushing for first team place. His wages however make him a bit of a luxury as a squad player, if we could claw back 3 mill or so I would take it, we'll be able to bring in a prospect who'll fullfil the back up role just as well and be on a lot less.

Outside the obvious candidates, I would consider big bids for Milner or Zog and even Owen (purely for his fitness record and contract situation), but we need enough time in the window to allow us to find a replacement.

Know our squad is small....but would sell all these players for the price!

cacapa 1+ mill

duff 3+

geremi?

smith 3,5+

ameobi 3+

viduka?

If TJ & bong eye can get that sort of money for that rubbish we are onto a winner with them doing the deals.

If we get Coloccini in I'd be happy to let Cacapa go as I'd imagine he'll be 5th choice CB and on decent wages. I'd obviously let Smith or Shola go (preferably Smith) but I don't really fancy the idea of being down to 3 strikers (after his stint at Preston I'm not prepared to count Carroll yet). There's no way I'd let anyone who can play CM go.

Know our squad is small....but would sell all these players for the price!

smith 3,5+

ameobi 3+

Rip off merchant tbh.

Hell if we got that much money for them two I would take them to the train station myself to see them off, and I live in bloody Canada :)

Im aware we cant sell all the players i mentioned earlier without replacing them! All of them seems to have reached their highest so therefore rather replace them with younger players with potential (if money is an issue). k k slowly needs to bulid his own squad because its impossible to do in 1 window and normally not very clever....unless you have big money to spend like spurs :-[ so an average season wouldnt be that bad as long as we are building a squad, developing style/concept and not buying shortsited or in panic!

If viduka and duffy could stay fit the hole season or most of it they could be really good for us....just dont think its physically possiblity ! ! !