Something out of Nothing

morgs

Another point (possibly defending Ron and Jimmy a bit here)

Who in the team would you fancy to get on the end of crosses?

With Robert delivering there was Shearer, Dabizas, O'Brien, Speed. All decent and better in the air.

Now we have Owen, Oba, Taylor a sour main threats - and 2 of those are midgits with good leaps.

Therefore rather than being able to put a ball into the mixer we are looking to hit a man - a lot more difficult to get right. HOpefully Colo will be good in the air and we can develop Faye in an attacking sense

Emre started 8 games last year in all competitions.

so we dont need to replace him for that reason?

Dave we need someone in that midfield with something about them. Someone you could describe with words other than tenacious and determined. We've got precisely nobody that teams dont want to play against

Dave we need someone in that midfield with something about them. Someone you could describe with words other than tenacious and determined. We've got precisely nobody that teams dont want to play against

If I was a centre back I would hate to be up against Smith, just incase he scored - imagine the shame!

With Robert delivering there was Shearer, Dabizas, O'Brien, Speed. All decent and better in the air.

Now we have Owen, Oba, Taylor a sour main threats - and 2 of those are midgits with good leaps.

Therefore rather than being able to put a ball into the mixer we are looking to hit a man - a lot more difficult to get right. HOpefully Colo will be good in the air and we can develop Faye in an attacking sense

Didn't O'Brien only score 2 headers for us?

you're forgetting about Viduka and Beye tbh

We don't need to 'replace' him as he was a waste of space. And considerable money.

We always needed a good midfielder and the fact he's fucked off makes it easier for us to sign one. If we don't get one though, we're certainly no worse off for Emre leaving.

We don't need to 'replace' him as he was a waste of space. And considerable money.

We always needed a good midfielder and the fact he's f***ed off makes it easier for us to sign one. If we don't get one though, we're certainly no worse off for Emre leaving.

when he played, he caused problems. Everton last season a case in point

Let's forget about Emre. He was unfit and un-motivated so it's best he's gone. Yes we need a play maker though, I would like to think the club recognises this is a priority, and in the failure to land Modric, will be looking for alternatives.

Let's forget about Emre. He was unfit and un-motivated so it's best he's gone. Yes we need a play maker though, I would like to think the club recognises this is a priority, and in the failure to land Modric, will be looking for alternatives.

I agree; I'd be astounded if they wanted Modric and plumped for Guthrie in the same position. In fact KK has already said he doesn't see him in that attacking role.

Guest neesy111

you forgetting michael owen, 7 of his goals we're from headers last season

I'd agree that we lack that extra bit of pace or flair to open up a defence. You don't score by passing the ball around the midfield.

Oba can get you a goal out of nothing by his pace and physical presence, but his link up play isn't good, so I think we need something more to really get us up the league.

Club clearly recognises: see bids for Modric and Aimar.

I still think it was daft to get rid of Emre - yeah, had a bad run with injuries, but still best we had. Would have been happy to get rid once we'd brought a replacement in. Every time Geremi goes near a dead ball I walk to the fridge to get a beer/refill. I know by the time I've parked my ass back down the other tea mwill be in counter attack mode/the goalkeeper will be bouncing it.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Emre was not only injury prone, but shite at set pieces too. Sure he scored a nice one vs the mackems. Doesn't make him Juninho.

Either way here's hoping we bring in a playmaker, because we badly, badly need one. Why we've left it this long is beyond me thought tbh.

How I'd love us to get Baptista. Could play in midfield or in Viduka's position

Either way here's hoping we bring in a playmaker, because we badly, badly need one. Why we've left it this long is beyond me thought tbh.

:rolleyes: Your expectations of the recruitment team are so high to the point of delusion tbh. The fact that we've submitted bids for Modric, Arda and Aimar (and failed in all) tells you something doesn't it? We're after them but we can't attract them enough at the moment - we've been dogshite for a good few seasons now; we're almost officially off the map as things stand. I'm not being a doom-monger or serial pessimist by saying that, it's just the truth at the moment. I've got faith in Keegan to get us back into a position where we are attractive again, but at the moment - for one thing - nine other teams in the league have got Europe over us.

You're forgetting one other thing too. Two of those players, two of our top targets..... where were they gonna be a few weeks after our approaches? Euro 2008. That tournament has fucked us, and a lot of other teams, royally up the anus this summer. They weren't going to jump at the chance of joining Newcastle United right away, when they could wait, perform well at the Euros and join a much better side with better immediate prospects.

However, like i say, i do have faith in the guys at the top to get us back up there and in contention for the best players soon. But that said, we are going to just keep slipping away if we're not even in with a shout for an Intertoto spot by the end of this season. We need top players in the coming seasons, and tbh, we need Europe if we're gonna get them.

:rolleyes: Your expectations of the recruitment team are so high to the point of delusion tbh. The fact that we've submitted bids for Modric, Arda and Aimar (and failed in all) tells you something doesn't it? We're after them but we can't attract them enough at the moment - we've been dogshite for a good few seasons now; we're almost officially off the map as things stand. I'm not being a doom-monger or serial pessimist by saying that, it's just the truth at the moment. I've got faith in Keegan to get us back into a position where we are attractive again, but at the moment - for one thing - nine other teams in the league have got Europe over us.

You're forgetting one other thing too. Two of those players, two of our top targets..... where were they gonna be a few weeks after our approaches? Euro 2008. That tournament has f***ed us, and a lot of other teams, royally up the anus this summer. They weren't going to jump at the chance of joining Newcastle United right away, when they could wait, perform well at the Euros and join a much better side with better immediate prospects.

However, like i say, i do have faith in the guys at the top to get us back up there and in contention for the best players soon. But that said, we are going to just keep slipping away if we're not even in with a shout for an Intertoto spot by the end of this season. We need top players in the coming seasons, and tbh, we need Europe if we're gonna get them.

that's part of my point york, we should have had our targets sewn up before the tournament, all it does is inflate, egos and prices

You're forgetting one other thing too. Two of those players, two of our top targets..... where were they gonna be a few weeks after our approaches? Euro 2008. That tournament has f***ed us, and a lot of other teams, royally up the anus this summer. They weren't going to jump at the chance of joining Newcastle United right away, when they could wait, perform well at the Euros and join a much better side with better immediate prospects.

that's part of my point york, we should have had our targets sewn up before the tournament, all it does is inflate, egos and prices

Did you read past that sentence though? The reasons for that is because the players wouldn't come when they would wait, play their heart out at the Euros, and get a better club after them. Any player with his head screwed on right would do that.

Did a Premier Leauge club even sign a player before the Euros? ???

Did you read past that sentence though? The reasons for that is because the players wouldn't come when they would wait, play their heart out at the Euros, and get a better club after them. Any player with his head screwed on right would do that.

modric....but to be honest there was very little business done before the tournament. i still think a lot will be done after the kick off aswell.

the smart play is to get it sorted before the tournament starts if there's a good chance of price inflation.

TBF I dont expect us to go out and sign Pirlo. I just feel our recruitment team haven't been punching our weight this summer. Look who Spurs have managed to attract, Man city last summer, west ham 2 summers ago. We should be achieving something similar, something's not working quite how it should.

I think you're being a bit harsh on the recuritment team, we've made some good additions already, and I'm sure we've tried for even better.

The fact is we're not that attractive a prospect at the moment, and Ashley isn't going to stump up stupid fees and wages to attract players.

Spurs are clearly on the up, with Ramos a well respected european manager. Players under 25 probably haven't heard of Keegan. Man City had Sven's extensive player scrapbook, we have a manager who just came back into the game.

We'll get back to where we were, but it will take a few of these 'decent' rather than 'amazing' transfer windows.

I think you're being a bit harsh on the recuritment team, we've made some good additions already, and I'm sure we've tried for even better.

The fact is we're not that attractive a prospect at the moment, and Ashley isn't going to stump up stupid fees and wages to attract players.

Spurs are clearly on the up, with Ramos a well respected european manager. Players under 25 probably haven't heard of Keegan. Man City had Sven's extensive player scrapbook, we have a manager who just came back into the game.

We'll get back to where we were, but it will take a few of these 'decent' rather than 'amazing' transfer windows.

for it to be a decent transfer window we'll need players that we presently dont have, which tbh was my original point mate

We never put a bid in for Arda by the way.

As much as I thought Emre was useless, having a player who plays 8 games a season is actually better than having nobody. Seems we have a "sell first, replace later" attitutude at the club at the moment.

We never put a bid in for Arda by the way.

As much as I thought Emre was useless, having a player who plays 8 games a season is actually better than having nobody. Seems we have a "sell first, replace later" attitutude at the club at the moment.

Indeed