Jump to content

Man chokes to death on cake


Syrette
 Share

Recommended Posts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7545002.stm

 

A mature student choked to death after an "impromptu" challenge by a friend to see who could eat the most fairy cakes, an inquest has heard.

 

Adam Deeley, 34, from Birmingham, and his friends were at the opening night of a photography exhibition in Swansea.

 

Two of his friends put up to four cakes from the buffet in their mouths.

 

Mr Deeley tried to eat five but began choking and collapsed on the floor. Swansea Coroner Phillip Rogers recorded a verdict of misadventure.

 

Mr Deeley and his friends were at Monkey café in Swansea in February this year, where he had worked for the previous year while finishing a three-year graphic design university course.

 

Steven Jenkins, who was part of the group, said: "There was a tray of cakes left over from the buffet - my friend put three cakes in his mouth so I tried four.

 

"They were small, only an inch-and-a-half across but I struggled with four. My friend must have told Adam what we were doing and he put five cakes in his mouth.

 

"I could see that he was struggling to eat them but then he walked across to the toilets. I thought he wanted to spit them out, I didn't know he was choking at that point.

 

"I only realised how serious it was a minute or two later when other people ran to help him.

 

Mr Deeley's work colleague, bar manager Daniel Finzelbach, a former lifeguard, said: "I realised Adam was in trouble as he walked towards the toilets - his body was convulsing.

 

"There was cake around his mouth and I could hear and see that he was trying to cough. I ran to the toilet and started slapping his back as hard as I could.

 

"Then I tried the Heimlich manoeuvre but he collapsed on the floor and I called for an ambulance."

 

Mr Deeley, who was not working that night, had gone to the bar for the opening of an exhibition by a photographer friend.

 

He was in the third year of his degree and planned to emigrate to New Zealand after graduating.

 

The inquest heard he had been one-and-a-half-times the drink driving limit on the night of his death.

 

Swansea Coroner Phillip Rogers said: "Clearly, any activity involving putting large amounts of food in the mouth is dangerous.

 

"It does not take me to say this sort of thing should be avoided."

 

 

Cue some terrible cake-related puns.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest elbee909

From the main index this topic title is truncated to "Man chokes to death on c..."

 

What were people's first guesses?

 

Collocini.

Link to post
Share on other sites

YOU INSENSITIVE BASTARDS!!! THAT WAS SOMEONE'S SON!!

 

:weep:

yes but imagine in years to come when they meet people. afetr a while the conversation truns to family.

 

"we had a son who died tragically young"

 

"what a shame,what happened" (imaging car accident,drugs etc)

 

"he erm......he choked to death seeing how many fairy cakes he eat could at once"

 

"he what....ha...haha.....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahheeeeeeeeeeeheeheeheehee"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest Redcar Mag

YOU INSENSITIVE BASTARDS!!! THAT WAS SOMEONE'S SON!!

 

:weep:

 

Imagine how his Mother felt, it's a fucking disgrace.

I know, he wouldn't eat her baking.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...