Has Duff's role changed?

womblemaster

DO we think that KK sees  him as a forward. like a beardley link up type between midfield and the strikers?

Kinda hard to tell atmo with us have no official strikers on the pitch, or once O, V, M  are back, fudd will be returned to the left side "??

Maybe it would solve a clash between duff and nzogbia to have him playing more central?

All just speculation.

For those who seen him  play, is his pace geting back towards  his old self?

In the friendlies against Hertha and Mallorca, he was the only player that looked remotely like damaging the opposition. He got past defenders quite a few times.

Players do go through these troughs where injuries prevent them from reaching their best form. We've seen that with Shearer. By all accounts, he's now fully fit, so let's give the guy a chance.

Circumstances are why he is being played in that role, with everyone fit and ready Duff will be on the bench..

I reckon he'll get a run of games to be honest. He's been riding on the "recovering from injury, no preseason" ticket for a few seasons now. Keegan will give him a chance to show he's still got something and THEN dump him from a first team spot.

I'd love to be proved wrong.. but it's Duff, aint it.

duff,milner and gutierrez can all play left and right. duff has played off a front man before and it wouldn't surprise me if keegan has thoughts of trying milner behind a front 2. n'zogbia i still think can play left midfiled in a 3.

what it gives is options and depth that we've been crying out for.

duff has been one of the plusses of this pre-season. i hope he can keep it going and push on from it.

whatever happens about who plays in which postion, what we need is for the midfield to cough up with more regular goals contribution!

WIth lack of goals from set pieces and a drying up of goals from midfield,  its put alot of pressure on thes trikers.

If his role is anything other than on the bench, then i'm concerned. He's had promising little bouts of two or three games before, namely when he first got games under Allardyce having returned from injury. But nah - i haven't seen him this pre-season, but i've got two seasons of evidence - he is fucking gash and past it. If Duff is sure-fire starter for us when the season kicks off, then we've gone backwards imo.

If his role is anything other than on the bench, then i'm concerned. He's had promising little bouts of two or three games before, namely when he first got games under Allardyce having returned from injury. But nah - i haven't seen him this pre-season, but i've got two seasons of evidence - he is f***ing gash and past it. If Duff is sure-fire starter for us when the season kicks off, then we've gone backwards imo.

same rule for n'zogbia ?

If his role is anything other than on the bench, then i'm concerned. He's had promising little bouts of two or three games before, namely when he first got games under Allardyce having returned from injury. But nah - i haven't seen him this pre-season, but i've got two seasons of evidence - he is f***ing gash and past it. If Duff is sure-fire starter for us when the season kicks off, then we've gone backwards imo.

same rule for n'zogbia ?

Difference with N'Zogbia is that he's actually played well for us before, and is at a much better age to improve. Providing his heart's in it of course. He isn't injury prone either, like Duff (who, also, hasn't had the managerial mistreatment and the constant swapping of positions that the Zog has). And unless N'Zogbia wants to simply piss his career away - then he should, and probably will, buck his ideas up this coming season. I have faith in Kevin Keegan to sort him out, seeing as he is still at the club. Besides, N'Zogbia wasn't bad under Allardyce for what it's worth, especially at the start of the season where he scored a few goals and got a few assists.

None of the above can be said for Duff and that's a fact, apart from maybe having a better attitude.

same rule for n'zogbia ?

Difference with N'Zogbia is that he's actually played well for us before, and is at a much better age to improve. Providing his heart's in it of course. He isn't injury prone either, like Duff (who, also, hasn't had the managerial mistreatment and the constant swapping of positions that the Zog has). And unless N'Zogbia wants to simply piss his career away - then he should, and probably will, buck his ideas up this coming season. I have faith in Kevin Keegan to sort him out, seeing as he is still at the club. Besides, N'Zogbia wasn't bad under Allardyce for what it's worth, especially at the start of the season where he scored a few goals and got a few assists.

None of the above can be said for Duff and that's a fact, apart from maybe having a better attitude.

but then again you could say that duff was playing much better than n'zogbia at the time n'zogbia was playing well. both played poorly over the same length of time both have to prove they are worthy of a place. right now duff has done more in pre season .

Could see him being used as Martins' back-up if we play a 4-3-3 like the end of last season.

Playing just off a striker, encouraged to push out wide. Think that's his best spot these days as he's not got the ability to just go by people all day like he did when he was a really top winger.

Could see him being used as Martins' back-up if we play a 4-3-3 like the end of last season.

Playing just off a striker, encouraged to push out wide. Think that's his best spot these days as he's not got the ability to just go by people all day like he did when he was a really top winger.

if we're chasing the game i'm very happy for him to come on for the last 20 in an attacking free role

We need to get him off the wage bill asap.

Shame Viduka is going to be here for the season as well.

If them two leave along with Smith, then the wages were paying our players should be almost relative to their talent.