Future world skyscrapers

Decky

Spent abit of time on Wikipedia looking at some of the skyscrapers that will be built in the next few years, some of them are extraordinary. The future World Trade Centre caught my eye:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/74/Freedom_Tower_New.jpg/245px-Freedom_Tower_New.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f5/Tower22.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/24/175_Greenwich_Street_%28WTC_3%29.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ed/150_Greenwich_Street_%28WTC_4%29.jpg/200px-150_Greenwich_Street_%28WTC_4%29.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6a/WTC_5.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8c/MemorialRelatedImages_06.jpg/800px-MemorialRelatedImages_06.jpg

Some others are:

Chicago Spire:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/36/Chicago_Spire.jpg/800px-Chicago_Spire.jpg

Burj Dubai

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/be/Burj_Dubai.jpg/250px-Burj_Dubai.jpg

Pentominium Dubai

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/Aedas_Pentominium_Tower_Dubai.jpg

Infact just look at the future for Dubai:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Future_Dubai_skyscrapers

Just imagine what that place will look like in 10 years when some of those are completed!

Any future buildings caught your eye? I remember there was a thread on here about some building in Dubai that rotates or something, what was that?

What exactly is so special about Dubai that they are getting all these amazing looking buildings? Also i had no idea the UKs biggest building has just 50 floors, although Shard London Bridge will have 72, still isnt alot compared to other cities across the world.

What exactly is so special about Dubai that they are getting all these amazing looking buildings? Also i had no idea the UKs biggest building has just 50 floors, although Shard London Bridge will have 72, still isnt alot compared to other cities across the world.

Isn't English ground really unsuitable for tall buildings, like Paris?

No idea, have a look at Dubai Towers which was approved:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e2/Dubai_Towers_Dubai_Model_Pict_1.jpg/424px-Dubai_Towers_Dubai_Model_Pict_1.jpg

:o

That Chicago Spire really does look like a giant dildo...

My point exactly. :snod:

Skyscrapers are nothing more than phallic extensions for egotistical architects.

No, its just for years this country has been dead against them for some ridiculous reason, mostly to do with the hideous concrete tower blocks that were put up in bulk during the 60's and 70's.

Slowly the country is coming round to the fact that they can be done well, just take a look at London they've got quite a few already and loads pending.

Manchester has got a huge skyscraper too, and the majority of the 'big' cities are approving taller and taller buildings all the time.

Newcastle in recent years has been extremely backward towards building tall, although with this new council being pro tall buildings it may not be too long till we see a few buildings of 30-40 floors in Newcastle.

In the right place and done well, skyscrapers are a great addition to most cities.

No, its just for years this country has been dead against them for some ridiculous reason, mostly to do with the hideous concrete tower blocks that were put up in bulk during the 60's and 70's.

Slowly the country is coming round to the fact that they can be done well, just take a look at London they've got quite a few already and loads pending.

Manchester has got a huge skyscraper too, and the majority of the 'big' cities are approving taller and taller buildings all the time.

Newcastle in recent years has been extremely backward towards building tall, although with this new council being pro tall buildings it may not be too long till we see a few buildings of 30-40 floors in Newcastle.

In the right place and done well, skyscrapers are a great addition to most cities.

very subjective as i don't like them aesthetically but try and prove to me they are a great addition.

very subjective as i don't like them aesthetically but try and prove to me they are a great addition.

Dont you think for some places its better to build up rather than across? What would you say is better, five 10 story blocks of flats, or one 50 story?

Guest lankybellwipe

Level 7 was bad enough.

Have you SEEN Ghostbusters?  :kasper:

Dont you think for some places its better to build up rather than across? What would you say is better, five 10 story blocks of flats, or one 50 story?

yes definitly but i also think in these days of easy mass communication it shouldn't be too hard to decentralise which woyuld also aid regional economies bearing in mind as far as i'm aware that most are business use...business that could be based anywhere,even on brownfield sites in regional cities/towns.

Why do I have to prove to you!?!?, you dont like them I get it but loads do.

Ever been to New York?, Chicago? Hong Kong? etc etc......to see the buildings in these places is awe inspiring.

Hell, to a much lesser extent even London (Canary wharf) is strikingly impressive, well it is to me at least whenever im down there.

Why do I have to prove to you!?!?, you dont like them I get it but loads do.

Ever been to New York?, Chicago? Hong Kong? etc etc......to see the buildings in these places is awe inspiring.

Hell, to a much lesser extent even London (Canary wharf) is strikingly impressive, well it is to me at least whenever im down there.

just thought you may have came up with some better examples. yes i've flown past and been in (not at the same time mind) canary wharf and it is an impressive feat of engineering...but aesthetically dull if not ugly.

Dubai has more money than it can spend thanks to oil, but needs to shift it quick to prevent lots and lots of inflation. They're doing it the right way and are future-proofing the loss of oil with revenue to come from the tourist industry, smart work tbh.  :thup:

The current one in Manchester is pretty ugly I reckon. The new one they're building behind Piccadilly Station is better, but still not great. The problem with tall buildings in this country is they're all really bland, with the odd exception (Gherkin, etc), but until there's a few of them they'll be able to be "landmark" buildings simply by being tall, rather than interesting, like they are elsewhere.

The Piccadilly Tower:

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/images/pics/331PiccadillyTower_pic1.jpg

Lumiere in Leeds looked like it was going to be nice, but they've halted progress due to the credit crunch, and it might even be abandoned.

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/8643/lumiereiansimpson170107dl3.jpg

Guest lankybellwipe

T'northerners have a weird sense of what's nice.

T'northerners doesn't work Golden Grahams'!

The T' needs to be followed by a vowel, which is predominently 'A' .  An example of which could be T'ambourine, or as Jimmy Tarbuck was affectionatley known T'arby!

You dense T'wat

O0