Best Starting XI outside of the top 4

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James, your ratings of Everton players are a total joke :lol:

You were trying to get me to bite surely.

I honestly think Everton are just a bunch of well managed, average to good players, and that you've only got by recently because of chaos at other clubs.

I honestly think Everton are just a bunch of well managed, average to good players, and that you've only got by recently because of chaos at other clubs.

Well I honestly think you're a WUM.

And you are correct

Not the fact they are well drilled, very well organised and unlike Spurs and Newcastle have consistently performed.

Is that the best you could come up with 1878??

Right midfield

1. Bentley (5pt)

2. Pienaar (4pt)

3. Milner (3pt)

4. Utaka (2pt)

5. Petrov (1pt)

Milner > Petrov?

Easy that one, you know I'm talking about Stylian Petrov the Villa central midfielder who plays on the right hand side, who Villa fans want to replace with Milner....

Sorry, got confused there for a moment.  But it does beg the question why City aren't being considered since they have the best left winger (Petrov), some exceptional defenders (Dunne, Richards & Ben Haim), some solid midfielders (Fernandes & Johnson), a very highly rated new striker (Jo), and a proven Premiership goalscorer (Benjani). 

I think some people, in particular stozo need to reread the opening post.

These aren't realistic assumptions you can make though. You have to take into account form, age, fitness, injury record etc.

One of the reasons Everton and Villa have been successful is with small squads they haven't gone out and bought players with horror injury records like we have.

by the way james, that's fucken spot on about everton, straight up

I think some people, in particular stozo need to reread the opening post.

These aren't realistic assumptions you can make though. You have to take into account form, age, fitness, injury record etc.

One of the reasons Everton and Villa have been successful is with small squads they haven't gone out and bought players with horror injury records like we have.

fucks sake dude, he states those points as assumptions in to OP

read man

You can have as many individuals as you want, the fact is they have to work as a unit. I feel Villa have this. If Portsmouth's front pairing combine with the solid defense and midfield they might be onto something.

Everton still look solid but badly need to add some pace and creativity to the team and Spurs look like they're in exactly the same position as last year.

You can have as many individuals as you want, the fact is they have to work as a unit. I feel Villa have this. If Portsmouth's front pairing combine with the solid defense and midfield they might be onto something.

Everton still look solid but badly need to add some pace and creativity to the team and Spurs look like they're in exactly the same position as last year.

i love this, i do

HOW are spurs the same then?  i'd loooooooove to hear it

Either that or an idiot and I fear I'm not so sure which is more likely..

Right midfield

1. Bentley (5pt)

2. Pienaar (4pt)

3. Milner (3pt)

4. Utaka (2pt)

5. Petrov (1pt)

Milner > Petrov?

Easy that one, you know I'm talking about Stylian Petrov the Villa central midfielder who plays on the right hand side, who Villa fans want to replace with Milner....

Sorry, got confused there for a moment.  But it does beg the question why City aren't being considered since they have the best left winger (Petrov), some exceptional defenders (Dunne, Richards & Ben Haim), some solid midfielders (Fernandes & Johnson), a very highly rated new striker (Jo), and a proven Premiership goalscorer (Benjani). 

Must admit I forgot about Man City at the time.

Conversely, I saw Jo play for the first time today, I thought he was not up to Premier League standard.

Final totals:

1. Tottenham 39 pts

2. Portsmouth 36.5 pts

3. Newcastle 35 pts

4. Aston Villa 28.5 pts

5. Everton 20.5 pts

Remind me who finished 5th & 6th last year?

Been weakened since.

How?  Villa have lost a centre half granted, but gained a far superior goal keeper, are on the verge of getting a decent rightback (which they didn't have last year) & signed Shorey & Sidwell.

Seriously mate, what an absolute load of rubbish :lol:

James, can I have an answer to this?

i love this, i do

What did Spurs do very well last season? Scored goals in vast quantities. So what have they done, bought a number of creative midfielders, to help them score vast quantities of goals. Will they score more than they did last season, who knows, maybe not due to selling their most proven goal scorer.

What did Spurs also do well last season? Conceded goals by the hat full. So what have they done? Nothing. There's no strength in midfield to protect the back four and they've actually brought no one in to strengthen the back line.

It's like us really, buying an aging defensive midfielder a striker who can score goals and a bit of pace upfront.  What's the point when we're already well stocked in those areas. It's the problem areas you need to address to advance as a team.

i love this, i do

What did Spurs do very well last season? Scored goals in vast quantities. So what have they done, bought a number of creative midfielders, to help them score vast quantities of goals. Will they score more than they did last season, who knows, maybe not due to selling their most proven goal scorer.

What did Spurs also do well last season? Conceded goals by the hat full. So what have they done? Nothing. There's no strength in midfield to protect the back four and they've actually brought no one in to strengthen the back line.

It's like us really, buying an aging defensive midfielder a striker who can score goals and a bit of pace upfront.  What's the point when we're already well stocked in those areas. It's the problem areas you need to address to advance as a team.

had a counter argument lined up but the booze kicked in, urgh..

Final totals:

1. Tottenham 39 pts

2. Portsmouth 36.5 pts

3. Newcastle 35 pts

4. Aston Villa 28.5 pts

5. Everton 20.5 pts

Been weakened since.

How?  Villa have lost a centre half granted, but gained a far superior goal keeper, are on the verge of getting a decent rightback (which they didn't have last year) & signed Shorey & Sidwell.

Should have made clear that the main focus of that was at Everton, who have lost Fernandes and Johnson. Aston Villa haven't improved much in my opinion, and if Barry goes it is back to square one.

Villa needed to address the full back areas as well as adding a bit of quality in depth to the back four in general, today they made a very positive start to doing that. Providing Young and Carew can stay fit for the rest of the season it could well be a very productive one.

Final totals:

1. Tottenham 39 pts

2. Portsmouth 36.5 pts

3. Newcastle 35 pts

4. Aston Villa 28.5 pts

5. Everton 20.5 pts

Been weakened since.

Should have made clear that the main focus of that was at Everton, who have lost Fernandes and Johnson. Aston Villa haven't improved much in my opinion, and if Barry goes it is back to square one.

Are you willing to put some money on that?  Nothing OTT, just something friendly, say if Everton finish last out of that lot I'll donate another £20 here http://www.justgiving.com/thesirbobbyrobsonfoundation and if they don't finish last out of that lot you do??

Final totals:

1. Tottenham 39 pts

2. Portsmouth 36.5 pts

3. Newcastle 35 pts

4. Aston Villa 28.5 pts

5. Everton 20.5 pts

Been weakened since.

Are you willing to put some money on that?  Nothing OTT, just something friendly, say if Everton finish last out of that lot I'll donate another £20 here http://www.justgiving.com/thesirbobbyrobsonfoundation and if they don't finish last out of that lot you do??

If I win, you can put the proceeds here

I won't, simply because I'm anticipating a cash flow problem next year as I'm paying for my own MSc.

My arguments are all based on individual ability rather than other important factors such as fitness and team organisation.

Put it this way looking at when we were in an even better position than Everton - beating Juventus 1-0 with Griffin, Bernard, O'Brien and Bramble in defence, all thanks to a superb manager and the way he motivated and organised our team. Moyes isn't at Robson's level, but he is very good. Everton would fall apart without him though, just like we fell apart.

i dont think there is anyoen on here who could argue that we are better than everton, they have a very good balance and are pretty stable, despite the recent media shite about them not adding to their squad yet.

they've also just done a cracking piece of business for johnson,how his value has gone up since he signed is beyond me.

good team everton,

Guest JonnyH

Before I came in here I thought this thread was people posting the 'Best Starting XI outside of the top 4' in their opinion in a player-by-player fashion.

Kinda like:

GK: Paul Robinson

DC: Titus Bramble

and so forth.

Obvious bad examples btw.