Best Starting XI outside of the top 4

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I can't believe Barton can be rated as better than anyone to be honest, as he's either incredibly inconsistent or in prison, and there's no knowing what's going to be starting the season.

Also Gutierrez - never played a PL game in his life - better than Arteta?

Ledley King, barely able to stand up let alone play 90 minutes 4.5 points, Martin Laursen 40 games last season, including loads of goals, 2 points?

Petrov is also not a right midfielder, he is a central midfielder who got shunted to the right a few times.

I'd have that as

Spurs

Portsmouth

Villa  - Everton (cant seperate them)

Newcastle

I can only think of one Newcastle player I'd be interested in, Beye. I can think of a few Everton players, Yakubu, Arteta, Lescott. I can think of a few Pompey players, Defoe, Crouch, Johnson, Krancjar. I can think of several Spurs players, Hutton, Bent, Modric, Woodgate, Huddlestone.

Laursen and Ashley Young arte the only two Villa players that would make our team tbf.,Bouma also.

In fairness I'd take Davies over Taylor, Carew over Viduka and Barry over any of our midfielders.

Davies is an absolutely quality player, was getting into his stride until his achilles injury.

He's going to be a very good player indeed, certainly in a totally different league to Anton Ferdinan, pacy, excellent tackler, reads the game well, top notch attitude.

Reo-Coker over Barton? Sidwell over Smith in midfield?

Barton has more ability than Reo-Coker,who to me is little more than a hacker.Sidwell is a better player than Smith,but we wouldnt say Smith is a starter,or a midfielder,or a footballer really.Owen played more of an attacking central midfield role at the end of last season,is Sidwell better,or more use to a side than Michael Owen?

Davies is an absolutely quality player, was getting into his stride until his achilles injury.

He's going to be a very good player indeed, certainly in a totally different league to Anton Ferdinan, pacy, excellent tackler, reads the game well, top notch attitude.

Reo-Coker over Barton? Sidwell over Smith in midfield?

Are you serious? Smith wouldn't even start for us :lol: So you wouldn't take Owen? Martins? Coloccini?

I don't rate Reo-Coker, but Sidwell would be a definite step up.

They're both average, both no better than Barton either.

We don't know what the future looks like for Barton at this point.  I'd rather have a reliable professional than an ex-con facing a lengthy league ban.

Barton is a psychopath with a current market value of 0, though, that's the problem, regardless of how good a footballer he is (or was, at least).

Last summer, NRC, Sidwell and Barton were the three English midfielders on the move, and of those three, Barton must be the worst signing of the three, surely?

As for taking Coloccini, he doesn't play for you yet, does he?

Would I take Martins? I think he's a good player, but would I replace a striker we have already with him? I'm not too sure. Possibly, I'd give you that.

Owen I wouldn't take, no. Not because he's not a good player - he is - but because he's a huge injury risk and would cost a fortune in wages.

Put it like this. I can think of lots more Portsmouth, Everton and Spurs players I'd take than Newcastle players right now. That's not me on a wind up or owt (I;'d like to think you'd take my word on that), just honest opinion.

Best starting XI still goes to Everton to me. Fantastic defence, two of the best midfielders in the prem in Cahill and Arteta, and I really rate the Yak. Spurs are far too lightweight for me, still, but a couple of good signings could leave them with an excellent first team.

Barton is a psychopath with a current market value of 0, though, that's the problem, regardless of how good a footballer he is (or was, at least).

Last summer, NRC, Sidwell and Barton were the three English midfielders on the move, and of those three, Barton must be the worst signing of the three, surely?

Would I take Martins? I think he's a good player, but would I replace a striker we have already with him? I'm not too sure. Possibly, I'd give you that.

Owen I wouldn't take, no. Not because he's not a good player - he is - but because he's a huge injury risk and would cost a fortune in wages.

Put it like this. I can think of lots more Portsmouth, Everton and Spurs players I'd take than Newcastle players right now. That's not me on a wind up or owt (I;'d like to think you'd take my word on that), just honest opinion.

Coloccini is more signed than Barry is ;) He's definitely a player that would get in your line-up, I can't see how Sidwell can be deemed as a better signing seen as he though he barely played a game, obviously Reo-Coker was but I was talking on the player alone not the whole package (obviously Barton's a twat) I don't feel any one of them stands out as been better than the other. Fair enough reasons on Owen but if someone gave you the guarantee of having Michael Owen in your squad for next season then I'm sure you'd find it difficult to turn down.

I'd agree at the moment. We've potentially got a good team imo (perennial optimist) but a lot of that relies on Keegan getting us to work together as we did towards the end of last season. We still could do with a class CM and a 4th choice striker who's noticably better than Smudger or Shola before I could really start to get excited though.

Central midfield is still our big weakness, and it is the position holding the team back.  Butt, Geremi, Guthrie, moving Milner to the center and (possibly) the 15 or so games we'll be lucky to get out of Barton this season are frightening no one.  We need more and I expect more given how blatantly obvious this is, even to supporters of other clubs.

If those 5 players are our options in the middle come Aug 31 then the manager and the board have failed to do their jobs, simple as that in my opinion.

These are all very rough estimations of what our neighbouring teams look like; i'm sure our rival posters in the forum would correct me a lot but i'm trying to be logical in terms of starting line-ups. Obviously, this is all on paper, so it doesn't matter an awful lot. Systems and respective managers come into play. Anyhow, in this order, in terms of 'on-paper quality':

SPURS

Gomes

Hutton - Woodgate - King - Bale

Bentley - Jenas - Huddlestone - Modric

Berbatov - Bent

EVERTON

Howard

Jagielka - Yobo - Lescott - Baines

Pienaar - Cahill - Neville - Arteta

Yakubu - Vaughan

VILLA

Friedel

Young - Laursen - Davies - Shorey

Petrov - Reo-Coker - Barry - Young

Carew - Agbonlahor

POMPEY

James

Johnson - Campbell - Distin - Hreidarsson

Utaka - Diarra - Davis - Kranjcar

Crouch - Defoe

NEWCASTLE

Harper

Beye - Coloccini - Faye - Enrique

Gutierrez - Barton - Guthrie - N'Zogbia

Martins - Owen

Our centre-midfield puts us way down the pecking order unfortunately. I think we arguably have the best defensive personnel though, but for Newcastle to have the 'best defense' simply isn't allowed in modern day football.

That may not be how they actually line up, but if Spurs really put Jenas and Huddlestone in the centre they'll struggle, regardless of their other personnel.

Aye probs, i doubt they'd even go 4-4-2 either tbh. Infact, i can't see anyone but ourselves lining up with a straight 4-4-2 next season. I was just trying to think of the most logical system without thinking TOO hard.

That may not be how they actually line up, but if Spurs really put Jenas and Huddlestone in the centre they'll struggle, regardless of their other personnel.

Aye probs, i doubt they'd even go 4-4-2 either tbh. Infact, i can't see anyone but ourselves lining up with a straight 4-4-2 next season. I was just trying to think of the most logical system without thinking TOO hard.

Fair play. Still think Spurs are too lightweight in the middle. If Modric plays there they'll need 1, if not 2 central midfielders significantly better than they currently have if they want top 4 imo. Cahill is a class above anything they have in there.

I'm chuffed that we've finally got our defense sorted. One more wing-back and we're complete for a good long while then i think. It gives us really good grounds to push on. The midfield isn't there yet, but the striking department probably only needs one more major investment in the next season or two, given the ageing Viduka. There's still a few other teams that are that one step ahead of us atm. Finishing 8th or 9th come May maybe a bit underwhelming for one or two around here, but it'd be about right for where we are atm and a good foundation to kick on. Providing we've got a shot at Intertoto, we'll be reet.

Has he seriously put Modric on the left or is he off his pre-pubescent man-boobs?

Oh get a grip. For one, i've said in the post above yours that i doubt they'd even play 4-4-2, i was just chucking the best respective players together without any real thought to get an idea of where we stood.

These are all very rough estimations of what our neighbouring teams look like; i'm sure our rival posters in the forum would correct me a lot but i'm trying to be logical in terms of starting line-ups. Obviously, this is all on paper, so it doesn't matter an awful lot. Systems and respective managers come into play.

Has he seriously put Modric on the left or is he off his pre-pubescent man-boobs?

Oh get a grip. For one, i've said in the post above yours that i doubt they'd even play 4-4-2, i was just chucking the best respective players together without any real thought to get an idea of where we stood.

These are all very rough estimations of what our neighbouring teams look like; i'm sure our rival posters in the forum would correct me a lot but i'm trying to be logical in terms of starting line-ups. Obviously, this is all on paper, so it doesn't matter an awful lot. Systems and respective managers come into play.

:lol: Like fishing for sprats.