Roeder's strengths

Guest Invicta_Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think he's a good coach, and despite what often gets said, I think he's okay as regards the basics of tactics, team selection and motivation.

My main concern about him is how we will cope when (as now) things aren't going so well and the pressure's on. He seems the sensitive sort and may get demoralised. We shall see.

There are other big factors around - mainly the Chairman's manner of running the club, and the motivation behind appointing from within rather than looking outside.

This is the guy who got us from 15th to 7th remember

I wouldn't deny he did very well there but he is out of his depth and the wrong man for the job imo. Souness finished higher than the position he took over from when Robson was sacked too btw. As Toon's Taylor alludes to (tongue firmly in cheek) he would made an excellent Academy Director (or whatever his title was).

How many people have had a cup of tea made for them by one premier league manager?  let alone accross section that would allow a valid comparison to be made.

I think Glenn would know what he's doing though, he looks like he does.  I'll bet Sam Allardyce is a dirty milk first, squeeze the tea-bag sort of swine.

How many people have had a cup of tea made for them by one premier league manager?  let alone accross section that would allow a valid comparison to be made.

I think Glenn would know what he's doing though, he looks like he does.  I'll bet Sam Allardyce is a dirty milk first, squeeze the tea-bag sort of swine.

Always uses a Brown Betty too I heard.

Guest The Fox

Glennwould carefully review all the different types of tea and then go for a Sainsbury's basic brand with Rich Tea biscuits.

Guest Invicta_Toon

so basically from the results we need Alex Ferguson with Roeder as assistant coach who talks to the media and makes the tea

bluelaugh.gif

15th -> 7th -> 16th (by match 9 in the new season).

So he's had a net loss of 1 position since he took over and has lost 9 positions since the end of last season (on average 1 per match).

I'm struggling here, how is this good again?

Guest ryunufc

I wouldn't deny he did very well there but he is out of his depth and the wrong man for the job imo. Souness finished higher than the position he took over from when Robson was sacked too btw. As Toon's Taylor alludes to (tongue firmly in cheek) he would made an excellent Academy Director (or whatever his title was).

Sir Bobby took us from 19th to 11th, moved up 8 places, and Roeder did the similar. He is still cleaning up the mess which Souness created, with his limited managerial skills and difficult chairman I think he deserved more respect for what he achieved. Afterall, it was not his fault that he is still here today. If this question was asked right after the Chelsea game he could have been judged differently, even if we ended up with the same conclusion: Academy Director is the best role for him.

team selection, team tactics, coaching, youth development. his youth development and coaching credentials have been shown elsewhere. i think his selection and tactics are spot on going into most matches, but he doesn't seem to be able to react to matches as they are happening, he can't adapt his systems mid-game or provide motivation or leadership or fitness to last the full 90 minutes. he also seriously lacks natural charisma and authority, and imo doesn't have the innate intelligence to overcome this.

Guest chris1210

i think his selection and tactics are spot on going into most matches,

That is one of his biggest weaknesses if you ask me. Take the ManU away game.... shocking team selection and tactics from the outset. For him then to compare the way he played to the way Arsenal played there, cos "it worked for them" was even more baffling...