Is a little bit of optimism too much to ask?

Dave

I'm almost always optimistic at this stage of the season,  and like you Dave, feel the club is in the healthiest condition it's been in for a good number of years. The press print shit and somehow continue to get away with it, no accountability. :(

I've got a great deal of faith in Keegan; and to a certain degree also in Ashley, but even if the faith in Ashley is misplaced he would leave/sell the club in a lot healthier postion than when he came in.

A couple more players in and Smith out and I'll be super-optimistic. ;)

Keegan may be one of the best managers this club has ever had, as much as Ronnie O'Sullivan is one of the greatest snooker players ever, he would still not win a thing if he used a broomshank instead of a snooker cue. Keegan can only work with what he has its a sad but true fact, They were not good enough last season and two new players will not make enough of a difference.

I can't wait for the season to start because I love the club I love the game and being at the match is such a fantastic feeling but optimism is to much to ask for at this point.

A valid point and good analogy, however, last seasons dross was in the main due to a very negative manager, negative players and negative fans (as a result) - it takes time to get over that.  For all the reasons Dave stated, I feel more optimistic but still feel another 2/3 players would rubber stamp that a little.

Keegan may be one of the best managers this club has ever had, as much as Ronnie O'Sullivan is one of the greatest snooker players ever, he would still not win a thing if he used a broomshank instead of a snooker cue. Keegan can only work with what he has its a sad but true fact, They were not good enough last season and two new players will not make enough of a difference.

I can't wait for the season to start because I love the club I love the game and being at the match is such a fantastic feeling but optimism is to much to ask for at this pint.

I thought we'd brought in three new players with a fourth having left his club on route to Newcastle.  Keegan showed what a difference he can make over what we were served up under Allardyce and he's had a pre-season to work with the players, even if he can't play them.  I think we'll be at least 10 points better off just by having Keegan picking the team and the two Argies should go some way to adding to our points total.

I'd like to see at least two more quality players coming in because we need a bit of class in the middle and we have potential injury problems up front.  If we can get the quality we need then we can have a very good season.

If we are looking for quick gratification then there's reason to feel disappointed as we haven't splurged money like some may have been expecting. If you take a longer term view though, a lot of what is currently going on at the club is pretty good. We are weeding out over-paid non-performers, and the signings so far look pretty good in comparison. It might not be obvious, but the squad is slowly and surely being upgraded. We are setting up a decent base for future progress.

Guest neesy111

would fan's rather us spend money on trophy signings and offering them big wages and then flop or build upsurely and then attract players for the right reason's (i.e. for being in europe etc)?

Sorry for being a pessimist/realist in a thread about optimism.

KEEGAN IS KING, EUROPE HERE WE COME!!

I'm not saying that, mongbreath. :lol:

Just saying be happy. You should know that more than anyone else you crazy bar steward.

Sorry for being a pessimist/realist in a thread about optimism.

KEEGAN IS KING, EUROPE HERE WE COME!!

I'm not saying that, mongbreath. :lol:

Just saying be happy. You should know that more than anyone else you crazy bar steward.

mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

Sorry I am in a right old worky mood today dunno why, it may be all my optimism. :D

would fan's rather us spend money on trophy signings and offering them big wages and then flop or build upsurely and then attract players for the right reason's (i.e. for being in europe etc)?

Can't believe I'm doing this but.....

Define a trophy signing.

Is it a big name player who we sign on big wages - if so step forward Mr Shearer

Is it a big name player signed for the hell of it when other places needed filling - if so step forward Mr Luque

Or is it a player who has won trophies? - Erm.......

I actually agree with NE5 on the Trphy signing rubbish. If a player is good then a large price tag does not constitute a trophy signing (see Coloccino).

A trophy signing for me is a signing which did not need to be made but the club are showing off (a bit like Veron for Man U)

edit - not necessarily aimed at the poster, just quoting a post with the term in it

Guest mobiius

I can't wait for the new season, I think it's going to be much more fun than anything we've seen since Sir Bobby left.

But everyone's writing us off, even our own fans. And it's getting right on my tits.

The players we have are shit. We've not brought enough in. The ones we've brought in are shit. The owner hates the manager and vice-versa. We're trying to cut costs at the expense of on-pitch progress. The club is to be sold. Keegan is going to be sacked before Christmas. We've failed with several targets. Keegan doesn't know who Coloccini is. We're going to finish bottom half. We're going to get relegated. We're not going to score any goals. Owen is leaving. Viduka is a lazy shit twat. Enrique is hapless. The fans are deluded. The fans are the problem. The fans aren't buying tickets. We're aiming too high. We're aiming too low. The club is in turmoil. The club is in crisis. The club is going under.

Well I say fuck all that, I believe in Kevin Keegan.

Nobody expects a single thing from us this year on the pitch (remember that?). Bring it on, I for one can't wait.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What a refreshing change, well put and well said mate. We have only failed signing players the MEDIA said we were after anyway, i am very optimistic about the new season and i haven't been like this for quite a while. I don't know if its the fact that Big Mick gives the media fuck all at all and its quite a surprise when we get some one in, or the fact that the players we have brought in are adding real quality to the team. i can't wait. I do think that this thread should be made a doom and gloom merchant free zone.

How is Coloccini not a so-called "trophy signing" as you would define it? I'd be surprised if he wasn't our highest ever paid defender.

His signing has certainly eased my fears somewhat about possible restrictions being placed on transfers (ie they need to be young and/or cheap) which were being alleged by a lot of people on here.

Is it a big name player signed for the hell of it when other places needed filling - if so step forward Mr Luque

I always saw Luque as a replacement for Robert tbh.

I agree with Skirge's comments ITT though. What's in the press has nothing to do with my lack of optimism, it's what will be on the pith which is the cause for concern. The defence has theoretically been improved, but as we saw last season that can be largely irrelevant if your midfield can't hang onto the ball. I don't see the midfield as being significantly improved on last year so far, maybe Gutierrez will prove to be a bit better than Milner, but I don't think it's a significant upgrade. Of course we should be able to do better than last season even with the players we already have, but not half as much better than we would be able to with just a couple more quality signings.

Of course this could all change by the end of the transfer window, but I'm not going to be optimistic based on blind faith that we'll be bringing in these players.

Guest neesy111

Define a trophy signing.

Is it a big name player who we sign on big wages - if so step forward Mr Shearer

I actually agree with NE5 on the Trphy signing rubbish. If a player is good then a large price tag does not constitute a trophy signing (see Coloccino).

A trophy signing for me is a signing which did not need to be made but the club are showing off (a bit like Veron for Man U)

edit - not necessarily aimed at the poster, just quoting a post with the term in it

going out spending 16 million on owen when we could of got him for cheaper and they we're equally as good players available (i.e. keane & anelka) available for 1/2 of that

Define a trophy signing.

going out spending 16 million on owen when we could of got him for cheaper and they we're equally as good players available (i.e. keane & anelka) available for 1/2 of that

I was going to include Owen but...

We needed to replace Bellamy and/or Shearer which was always going to cost big money. There was the injury factor with Owen, but he was pretty much a guaranteed hit when playing.

And we don't know for sure how much cheaper we may have been able to get him for, Liverpool didn't have a bid accepted afaik, he was given permission to talk to them but (similar to Arshavin and Spurs) a fee would still have to be agreed upon.

Hence I discluded him!

Guest neesy111

Define a trophy signing.

We needed to replace Bellamy and/or Shearer which was always going to cost big money. There was the injury factor with Owen, but he was pretty much a guaranteed hit when playing.

And we don't know for sure how much cheaper we may have been able to get him for, Liverpool didn't have a bid accepted afaik, he was given permission to talk to them but (similar to Arshavin and Spurs) a fee would still have to be agreed upon.

Hence I discluded him!

well the fact that he cost real 8 million just a season ago, 12 million was more acceptable price

that luque signing was defo one, remember we wanted boa motre but shepherd didn't think he was a high enough profile player ffs

l

I think we should be more optimistic aswell!

-The club seems to be well run at the moment and we have no fears of going down the "Leeds" road.

-Got rid of the shite: Ramage, Carr, Pattison, Rozenthal (smith...pleeeaaase!)

-Got in some decent players: Jonas, Coloccini??, Guthrie, Bassong

-Transfer window still has 23 days left in it

-Keegan will make a purse out a pigs ear

-Duff seems to have remembered he is a pro footballer

Two or three class signings and we'll be ok... (Left back, Creative midfield, young striker)

Define a trophy signing.

Hence I discluded him!

well the fact that he cost real 8 million just a season ago, 12 million was more acceptable price

that luque signing was defo one, remember we wanted boa motre but shepherd didn't think he was a high enough profile player ffs

l

I see what you're saying, but he was in the last year of his contract at the Dippers and was undervalued there rather than overvalued when we bought him.

nessy you do realise that a player with 1 year remaining on his contract is worth less than the same player with 3 or 4 years remaining?

The £8m fee for Owen can't be compared to the £16m we paid.  If he still had 3 years left at Liverpool Madrid would have paid a similar amount.

Basics man, basics.